March 28, 2024, 12:17:05 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Speech

Started by SassyDI, May 18, 2011, 04:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SassyDI

Quote from: AnonymousDIL on May 18, 2011, 09:42:39 AM
Quote from: SassyDI on May 18, 2011, 09:37:30 AM
I don't want to step on toes but I also want to give credit to those who deserve it.

Tread carefully here... Did you ASK all of the BM's to help? You said some helped more than others, but some people like to wait to be asked. You might really insult some people if you "give credit to those who deserve it."

Perhaps one of the BM's is really busy with her career. I know one of mine didn't help with the shower much because she was finishing tax season AND studying for her CPA exam. Another lives nearly 2 hours away. They are ALL very important to me and if my SIL had "given credit to those who deserve it." She would have insulted MY other friends. And well, I would not have been happy.

I am not mad they didn't help at all.  I kind of asked them for ideas and let them decided how they wanted to help if at all.   But i am a firm believer if I sat and did A B and C then yes I should get credit for what I have done.  All I was asking was how to word it more for FMIL mom then anyone so I word it right.

AnonymousDIL

Sometimes it is nice to do things anonymously. ;-)

SassyDI

Quote from: AnonymousDIL on May 18, 2011, 09:56:13 AM
Sometimes it is nice to do things anonymously. ;-)

Well I am not going to hurt my Grandma so thats out.

AnonymousDIL

Is this "compliment" Grandma?

SassyDI

No clue what your talking about.  I was asking how to word something nicely without insulting.  I have to make this speech no matter what and I have to use at least my mom and grandma name in the begining.  I wasn't asking should I do it because I have to do it. 

AnonymousDIL

The Grandma who complimented you on your weight that you had to vent about.

SassyDI

Would also like to add I am not happy about doing this but I am also not going to hurt someone I love dearly either by not saying thank you for my sister as she did for me when I got married.  So please if anyone has an idea how to word it better, or thinks my speech sounds good please help me.

SassyDI

Quote from: AnonymousDIL on May 18, 2011, 10:08:13 AM
The Grandma who complimented you on your weight that you had to vent about.

Doesn't make me love her anyless I was annoyed at her.  Futher DH's father was very annnoying during me wedding did some mean things but I still gave him credit where credit was due.

pam1

Quote from: SassyDI on May 18, 2011, 10:08:29 AM
Would also like to add I am not happy about doing this but I am also not going to hurt someone I love dearly either by not saying thank you for my sister as she did for me when I got married.  So please if anyone has an idea how to word it better, or thinks my speech sounds good please help me.

What you posted already sounds great to me!

I think if anyone *choses* to take offense to that, it is clearly their problem, not yours.
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

SassyDI

Quote from: pam1 on May 18, 2011, 10:11:14 AM
Quote from: SassyDI on May 18, 2011, 10:08:29 AM

What you posted already sounds great to me!

I think if anyone *choses* to take offense to that, it is clearly their problem, not yours.

Thanks

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: SassyDI on May 18, 2011, 09:52:51 AM
I don't want to step on toes but I also want to give credit to those who deserve it.

So, who do you feel doesn't deserve any recognition? and why?

SassyDI

Quote from: AnonymousDIL on May 18, 2011, 10:36:38 AM
Quote from: SassyDI on May 18, 2011, 09:52:51 AM

So, who do you feel doesn't deserve any recognition? and why?

ADIL I am not playing your games.  I already explained what I need to do and I don't see why you want to go round in circles.

AnonymousDIL

I wasn't playing a game. You stated that you wanted to give credit where crdit is due and that some deserve credit and others don't. I was curious why you feel bridesmaid X deserves credit but bridemaid Y does not.

SassyDI

Quote from: AnonymousDIL on May 18, 2011, 10:49:25 AM
I wasn't playing a game. You stated that you wanted to give credit where crdit is due and that some deserve credit and others don't. I was curious why you feel bridesmaid X deserves credit but bridemaid Y does not.

Do you any advice on  how to write it?

LaurieS

sassy it really depends on the slant you want to take... if you are doing the 'proper' thing you will give an all encompassing thank you... to leave out a single bridesmaid, will be noted by all. And you will go down as looking either ignorant for forgetting a person or like a edited word for purposely leaving her out... just my opinion