March 28, 2024, 02:48:29 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

FMIL And The Wedding

Started by LaurieS, May 17, 2011, 06:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holliberri

I wouldn't say that is way off base at all.

pam1

I like the seed paper invitations.  I believe they are fairly inexpensive as well.

Was this the FMIL who said she was watching Jeopardy and could DS call her back when he was calling with news of the engagement? 
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pen

Laurie, I am really impressed by your treatment of FMIL. She is a lucky MOTG, for sure. I hope all continues to go smoothly.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

One of my friend's daughters just got married and they took a picture of both of them that they loved, and had them made into invitations using the picture cards (like you do a Christmas card) at Walmart (designed them online).  They were very nice, inexpensive in the grand scheme of things and fit their personalities.  Then they included an RSVP like Scoop just mentioned that they did themselves.  I loved them and we had a great picture of them to boot!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

AnonymousDIL

We (and by "we" I mean I lol) did our own invitations. Printed black and white engagement photos of us and hearts that we had made in the sand on cream cardstock. Then printed the words on vellum (available at Jo Ann Fabrics for around $10 a pack that will do 100 invitations). Used a wavy paper cutter along the edges and tied with a pink ribbon to the back. It printed with my pic in one corner looking down over the words and DH in the bottom corner looking up at me. :-)

You can make really nice invitations on your own. For CHEAP! We spent  maybe $25 for all the vellum, cardstock, ribbon and envelopes. Plus then they are very personal.

LaurieS

Quote from: pam1 on May 17, 2011, 08:22:42 AM
I like the seed paper invitations.  I believe they are fairly inexpensive as well.

Was this the FMIL who said she was watching Jeopardy and could DS call her back when he was calling with news of the engagement?

LOL.. it was the Bachelor that she was watching when he tried to tell her of his engagement.. yes I thought that was pretty funny

My dd is trying to find ways to include her fmil.. we all thought that it might be fun to meet in Austin one day and go dress shopping.. while I know that is suppose to be a grand mother/daughter event.. I've lived through 3 of her prom dresses and I'm quite willing to share the more intimate affair.. the only thing that my dd has mentioned that she really just wanted my participation in and not her fmil is when she actually puts on her dress for the ceremony .. we can do that.. besides fmil may not feel comfortable seeing her butt floss panties and her I had to buy some cleavage bra.

Besides the more interaction this woman has with my daughter the more she'll know who she is, because I can guarantee that she hasn't seen the 'real' her yet. 

LaurieS

Good ideas about the invites.... my dil is super big into card making... I mean like she is the card queen.. she is very creative and my dd was thinking of asking her if she would like to help make the invitations in lieu of a wedding gift.  My dil mentioned to me that she was hoping that she would be asked to participate in some fashion but did not want to interfere.  lol.. but then my dil asked me if I would include her mother when we went to the venue to try out the dinner selections.. that was one of those times I hung up the phone and said wow I think I need a glass of wine :)

AnonymousDIL

I'm now picturing you as carrying a flask in your purse for "emergencies" lol

LaurieS

adil... if you could see the size glass of wine I had before my son's wedding you'd be shocked... I had been up all night with a very sick husband and by 6 the next morning we were at the hospital (thank god for onstar)  The staff got my husband stabilized and with his consent I ran to the hairdresser who insisted on making me look like I was headed to a rap concert...  I walked into the hotel room and everyone about died laughing at my spiked hair.. so with very little time left to undo the do, get to the church.. explain to my son that his father was not going to make it to the wedding.. oh and I  needed to stop crying.. I downed a baked potato and this mega glass of wine.  Upon arriving at the church the Pastor approached me to tell me how sorry she was to hear about my husband's sudden illness... I smiled and said if I don't talk about it.. I won't cry.. she said but you look so happy and relaxed.. I admitted to her I was half drunk :)  While I find a flask to be a little to masculine for my taste I think I can strap a whole bottle of wine to my thigh if I wear the right dress.     

Pen

Laurie, that story belongs in a movie.

I love your DD's desire for a more casual, fun wedding. My DIL went from small & casual to fancy & expensive in a minute! We spent way more than we'd anticipated as PsOTG. We drank a little that night...

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: Laurie on May 17, 2011, 08:54:46 AM
While I find a flask to be a little to masculine for my taste I think I can strap a whole bottle of wine to my thigh if I wear the right dress.   

My BFF has one that has pink rhinestones all over it! LOL If you go Southern Belle with a hoop skirt you could fit 2 bottles easily.

Pen

No open bar at this affair?
-- Annie Gottlieb

LaurieS

hoop skirt it is :)

I hear you Pen.. and I think it's easy for people to get caught up in the romance of the wedding... but we have always said that it's a party.. lol... yes a wedding but a party.. and while some people can justify a 10,000.00 per hour party I am not one of them. 

We said this is how much we'll contribute.. do with it as you would like no strings (with the exception of my front row seat)  and I only offered 5k  .. we may give them a little more at Christmas but not planning on it at this point...My dd is a 4.0 gpa grad student studying project managing... if she can't figure out how to lay all this out and make it work, and stay in budget, then it's hers to deal with.

LaurieS

nope no open bar.. but you know doing a southern belle wedding with everyone in hoop skirts could have it's perks :)

The one venue has in an adjoining room a nice full bar and the bartender is part of the venue package.. it will be a cash bar with a champagne for all the guest

LaurieS

oh besides there are going to be 20 cops there ... lol.. those boys can drink.. I thought it was funny that this one venue would not wave the security fees.. I thought oh man that security guard will be so out gunned at this event... I might have to get my concealed license just to fit in.