March 28, 2024, 07:32:29 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

My Troubled Daughter

Started by Winter04, May 06, 2011, 07:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holliberri

I am 100% totally for crossing out all holidays. LOL.

themuffin

LOL, Laurie, Your hubby must love you!!  Laughter is such a gift and you give it here, so I know you give it at home.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

LaurieS

oh I give him so much more the laughter.. sometimes I think he wishes I wasn't so generous with my emotions :)

lancaster lady

hey Laurie ...my DH is a pretty handsome guy .....remember Bryan Ferry ? ....Well that's who my guy looked like .
Except he know has silver hair ....lol

LaurieS

bryan ferry .. can't say I've ever heard of him, I had to look him up.. now talk about some of the other (4) guys from England and I won't have to search

Pooh

Sorry but I am soooo keeping my holidays.  I like them too much!  I may miss my OS during them, but that doesn't mean I can't still enjoy them.  I rearranged my life for his first 20 years because I was the Mother, I'll be danged if I'm rearranging my calendar for him!  He doesn't hold that much power any longer.  ;D
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pen

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Kara487

I think its time to let go . she is who she is. I agree with other posters that say stop bailing her out . It will force her to grow up. My sil is the same way and her parents support her and pay her bills. she is an entitled spoiled brat. You are doing more harm than good by bailing her out because she will never learn to support herself. Unfourtnely you will not always be there for her.

LaurieS

I agree Pooh.. the holidays are for us to spend and cherish in a way that makes us happy .... my point was not allowing the commercial aspect dictate what is suppose to be the normal or proper way to celebrate.

holliberri

Yeah, I agree Laurie. It's not the holiday itself, it's the expectations and the standards that have somehow become established as "must-dos."

LaurieS

We are so quick to denounce expectations that we feel we are owed by being parents, children, in-laws.. yet are so willing to accept what others who have no care for us other then to generate a reason for us to spend money while they profit decide how we are to rate the success of a holiday, family, or our lives for that matter.

lancaster lady

Don't tell me you've cancelled Christmas ..... :o

holliberri

All of the expectations bother me. I really think I had a good Mother's Day only b/c I didn't expect a card, or expected the day to be about me. I don't do Valentine's Day b/c DH really wouldn't be interested in a card or a new watch...he's more interested in my making sure his clothes are hemmed properly. I had zero expectations for this (maybe b/c I never had one before?)....and I'd like to keep it that way.

And, parents, ILs and children all perpetuate the commercial expectations b/c they buy into it. Who says I have to get a Valentine's Day card for the dog? Hallmark...and my grandmother.

MIL was upset b/c I did not get a basket for DD. I got her a toy. Apparently, I was supposed to buy a basket. MIL wasn't even there. Who says I have to buy a basket for an infant? I like Fafe's idea of a wagon, myself.

Sun_is_still_shining

My MIL cancelled Christmas twice LOL! (years ago.. before DH and I were even together) Called up SIL and said "Christmas is CANCELLED!" Haha! Maybe for you?? Geeez.. Holidays! Bah Humbug!  ;D

LaurieS

No basket?  Bet your head started spinning as you began to speak in tongues.  I once took my infant to see the Easter Bunny... I have a photo of it .. can we say terrified? Realistically a infant 'needs' so very little.. a basket is a photo opportunity and not a whole lot more.  Now chocolate is a whole different subject.