March 28, 2024, 03:28:00 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Wedding Aftermath (From a DIL)

Started by musicnerd86, May 05, 2011, 01:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: Laurie on May 06, 2011, 12:13:15 PM
BOP=Blowout Preventer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowout_preventer  ..

My sentence was "Music was asking how to attach a B.O.P. to their future lives."

AHA! I belive that is called "duct tape" or "finger casts" in my case here LOL

holliberri

Beating up on the op where? There were a multitude of opinions on here and they varied a wide spectrum. There were various experiences shared and a different subjects talked about. The topic is only four pages....so it certainly hasn't been drawn out.

Music, if you felt attacked, I apologize. I hope you return because I enjoyed talking with you and I appreciated your insights. I thought I would be able to learn a few things from you, and if you felt like anyone was beating up on you, I didn't do my job.

musicnerd86

Happy Mother's Day, ladies!

I do not feel beat up at all. I have learned a lot from everyone's response and I appreciate everyone's kind and wise words. I don't feel anyone was attacking me or speaking in a way that was out of line.

Now, it's time to get ready to go to visit DH's parents and then my FOO. Have a wonderful day, ladies!

holliberri

Enjoy! Keep us up to date with things!

Pooh

I think that you have to just go ahead and expect that there might be little "tiffs" over the years.  One thing I have learned over my life is that you definitely can't please everyone.  You can do your best to compromise and have consideration for others, but it still doesn't mean you can please everyone.  All you can do is do your best.

I think that what you did was very nice to try and accommodate both sides wishes, and at the same time, I think you have learned from this that being upfront with MIL about what you were trying to do, might have worked.  Maybe it wouldn't have.  Maybe she wouldn't have liked your half going out with a different name.....who knows. 

I think it's great that you are trying to avoid pitfalls in the future, but I think you need to be yourself.  You can remain true to yourself while still trying to be considerate of others, and apologizing when you mess something up.  We all make mistakes.  Just don't lose yourself in trying to please everyone.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell