April 18, 2024, 05:38:37 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Mothers' Day

Started by jill, May 04, 2011, 08:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pen

Quote from: pam1 on May 06, 2011, 02:15:20 PM
...DH tried to get me a google tv, I'm glad I found out before hand so I could put the kibosh on it.  I think it was mostly for him  ;D....

Like the chainsaw I got one Mother's Day!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

pam1

LOL Pen.  He started in with some nonsense that I could work from bed.  I guess he forgot the 4 dogs and DD and well, when have I ever wanted to work from bed?  Funny man
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Rose799

Re: Why I'm sad today...
quote from: luise.volta
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 03:21:20 PM »

Funny but this feels almost like "family" to me. I have a busy day and then it sit down at my computer thinking, "I wonder what the girls are up to?" And I smile, knowing you are there for me and loving that I can be there for you.

This feels a whole lot like home to many of us, as well, Luise...  Thanks so much Luise & Kirk!  Happy Anniversary!

Rose799

Good night everybody...   ;D

holliberri

Happy Mother's Day, Ladies! Make sure to enjoy your day!

luise.volta

I sent that on to Kirk, Rose.  :D

Have a great day everyone!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

I wanted to share my Mother's day story to give everyone a laugh.

My two great nieces (they are 3 weeks apart) had their first birthday party in Georgia this past Saturday.  One lives in Missouri and the other in South Carolina (both are military families).  My brother lives in North Carolina, my parents are here in Tennessee with us.  Both nieces's family is in Georgia and one niece's GM has a big house on the lake so they planned the party there.  Sort of a middle place to host the event.  I have not seen them since they were about 6 weeks old, except plenty of pictures.  So we were traveling down there Saturday for the party, so my DH knew I needed a break from everything that has been going on here, so he booked us in a hotel for Friday and Saturday night about 30 minutes away from the event in Atlanta.  Ok, that's all the background.

Sunday when we get up late and get ready to check out, he takes me to a late breakfast.  He then gives me a Happy Mother's Day card and a gift box.  In it is a beautiful ring.  The card is signed by my DH and my YS.  He says, "This is from me and YS" as I open the box.  I was in awe for a few minutes of how beautiful the ring was and was about to tear up that my YS had played a part in it.  Then I looked at the card again.  I would know my YS's writing anywhere because it's chicken scrawl, and my DH has great penmenship.  Both signatures were very neatly written.  I kind of looked at him, grinning.  "So does YS even know about this?"  He can never lie to me, his face gives him away.  He gets this guilty four-year-old look on his face as he stammers, "Well yeah, it's from both of us."

Needless to say, within a few minutes he fessed up that he added YS's name, because he knows it would have been hard for him to get me something and that he had intentions of calling YS and letting him know what he did.  I was laughing so hard because I thought it was very nice of him to add YS's name.  Now YS and I have a great relationship, so I knew he would call that day sometime.

So we finished breakfast and hit the road.  About 15 minutes into the drive, my phone rings.  It's YS.  This is how the conversation went.

YS:
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pooh

Dang...I did it again!  I'm losing it this morning...

YS:     "Happy Mother's Day!!!!"
Me:    "Thank you."
YS:     "You having a good day?"
Me:    "I am!  Expecially after opening the present you and DH got me!  Thank you so much."
YS:     crickets.......
YS:     "Umm....you...are....welcome..."
Me:    "It's absolutely beautiful!  Thank you!"
YS:     crickets......
YS:     "I....do....ummm....what....I...ummm...can....do....ummm.....you're welcome.  Can I talk to DH please?"
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

holliberri

Awe...the poor kid! That was sweet!

Pooh

It really was, but I couldn't help myself.  YS didn't know we were in the car together so I could hear what DH told him.  It was priceless.  He asked DH, "So what did we get her?"  DH explained what they got and told him that he had intentions of calling him soon, but that YS called first.  He whispers all this to him and then hands the phone back to me.  We talked for about 30 minutes on how things were going with him and other things then said bye.  DH laughs and tells me what YS had said and that YS did tell him thank you for adding him to the present.

DH is just that thoughtful of a guy.  YS has no clue that I know that he didn't know.  I had a great weekend and Mother's day and am very grateful for my DH and YS.  In the words of Charlie Sheen, "WINNING!"
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

themuffin

Pooh!!!! I LOVED that post!!!  It actually filled my eyes with tears of happiness because I was so touched imagining the entire scene...Awww...what a precious memory.  I'm so happy for you and so happy that you shared it with us!

Hugs!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Pooh

Thank you.  My DH and YS are a hoot!  If I could just figure out how to bottle some of that up and slip it into OS's coffee....hmmmm

No, I wouldn't.  I am just very grateful that I have other good people in my life.  OS is missing the boat.
Joseph Campbell