March 28, 2024, 08:01:35 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Perceptions!

Started by catchingup, May 03, 2011, 12:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catchingup

Okay lets see who can answer this.
Who made the first teddy bear and why was it named a "Teddy bear"

pam1

People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

luise.volta

I never even met Teddy Roosevelt in the woods, either...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Rose799

Teddy Roosevelt's mother, so he'd stop trying to bring home the real thing?

lancaster lady

chap called Morris Michtom  from Brooklyn ....in honour of the bear that 'Teddy Roosevelt ' didnt shoot .

Rose799

Oh yes, good ole Morris Michtom...   :)

catchingup

Quote from: pam1 on May 03, 2011, 02:06:37 PM
Teddy Roosevelt!
Yes!! A crippled lady started making soft toys to earn a living. Her  surname was "Steiff" She was so good at what she did that eventually opened a factory and produced thousands of toys.
The first "Teddy Bear" was given to Teddy Rooseveld as a mascot and so the name was born.
It reminds me of the verse in the bible directed to a crippled beggar "Silver and gold have I none,but such as I have give I unto thee.....Rise up and walk"
My Quote"And now that you can walk,get your own silver and gold" ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;D ;D

luise.volta

I used to date his grandson, Robert.

Rose799

Quote from: luise.volta on May 03, 2011, 02:16:32 PM
I used to date his grandson, Robert.

Robert Roosevelt - really?!!!

luise.volta

(Different spelling the teddy bear thing wouldn't ruin his image...)

Rose799

Quote from: catchingup on May 03, 2011, 02:16:09 PM
My Quote"  And now that you can walk, get your own silver and gold"

I could have used your help a few years ago...   :) :) :)

pam1

*singing* I am so smart. S M R T

No, really I saw Holly was reading the thread at the same time so I had to type furiously to get the reply in before her lol.

holliberri

I'll one up you, only b/c I had to spend a week out at a National Park for a 1st grader.

Teddy also invented the National Park system. How do I know? B/c my cousin mailed me a colored teddy bear and told me to "find a park, take pictures of the bear there, and mail it back to her in 7 days..."

I didn't know homework was outsourced now.

luise.volta

Oh, I remember those darling Steiff bears! My eldest had one in 1948! They were expensive. Well, that's a relative word when my first, custom built home cost $5,000.!  ;D ;D ;D

pam1

LOL Holly, I knew you knew.  So did you take the pic and mail it?   ;D

Luise, every time I hear stuff like that I wonder what I'll be able to tell my grandkids.  Like the phone booth is going out of style, I imagine that can sound so funny to our next generations.  "So yes, there was a booth in a parking lot where you could put a quarter in and call.  4 quarters for 4 minutes long distance"  LOL