March 28, 2024, 03:04:47 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Perceptions!

Started by catchingup, May 03, 2011, 12:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catchingup

My son who is South African but lives in London has just come back from a trip to America.
He was in New York,Orlando--Disneyland and Miami.
He loved it and looks forward to going back
Both my sons had the same experiance when visiting America.
When Americans hear they are South African they expect them to be black."Africa!! but you are white" Sometimes people think we have monkeys,lions and elephants on our doorstep.Not so.

AnonymousDIL

Sometimes as an American I think "Why would anyone want to come here, we are boring?" lol I'm glad he enjoyed his trip.

You don't have monkey's lions or elephants on your doorstep? *shaking head* My whole outlook on life has just changed.....

You have to admit though, it'd be really cool if you did!

catchingup

Are Americans backward?? All they have to do is google South Africa and find out what our country looks like especially where I come from "Cape Town"
As much as the world thinks that black and white are in conflict here we actually live very peacably together and understand each other very well.We work together,laugh together and play together.

AnonymousDIL

Sounds like a very nice place to live. I could do without the racial bigotry and violence we have here. 
:-\

But I do secretly want a pet monkey lol

pam1

I think most Americans know that, not sure why everyone would say they didn't.  It does sound like he went to a lot of tourist destinations though.
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

AnonymousDIL

When I went to Disney, I had a Japanese gentleman ask me "Which one is the penny?" So he could make one of the pressed pennies. It was really cool to interact with someone from a different culture. I can't speak for all Americans, but this one definitely "assumes" a LOT lol

Rose799

If they're not at the doorstep, just where do you keep them?   ;D

AnonymousDIL

Let's not ignore the "Elephant in the Room"! LOL Sorry, couldn't help myself.

What did he enjoy the most about his visit here?

lancaster lady

Remember the elephant jokes anybody ?? such as ..how do you know if an elephant has been in your fridge ? By the footprints
in the butter !!  NO??  lol

Rose799

ha ha, I bet Catching knows knows good ones...

catchingup

Quote from: AnonymousDIL on May 03, 2011, 01:29:38 PM
Let's not ignore the "Elephant in the Room"! LOL Sorry, couldn't help myself.

What did he enjoy the most about his visit here?
It was the people he enjoyed the most.
Apparently they set  up their camera's and said they were doing a survey and asked the Americans questions about themselves.
He says"They are full of fun,eccentric,crazy and wonderful and he will be back. ;D

Rose799

Quote from: catchingup on May 03, 2011, 01:44:45 PM
It was the people he enjoyed the most.
Apparently they set  up their camera's and said they were doing a survey and asked the Americans questions about themselves.
He says"They are full of fun,eccentric,crazy and wonderful and he will be back. ;D

"Only in America"  :)   

luise.volta

???Well, there's dumb and then there's dumber!  ???

I live "out West" (USA) and people think we have bears in our back yards all the time but that's silly...that only happens in the Spring when they come out of hibernation.  ;D ;D ;D
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

AnonymousDIL

And in the summer you are out on your surfboard, right, Luise?  ;)

Rose799

Quote from: luise.volta on May 03, 2011, 01:54:14 PM
  ???Well, there's dumb and then there's dumber!  ???

I live "out West" (USA) and people think we have bears in our back yards all the time but that's silly...that only happens in the Spring when they come out of hibernation.  ;D ;D ;D

Do you know any "bear in the woods" stories, Luise?  :)