March 28, 2024, 03:04:15 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

God Bless our Troops!

Started by Pooh, May 01, 2011, 08:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

May all the family members of the victims of 9/11 sleep peacefully tonight.  God Bless our Troops!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

pam1

Yep yep!

Although now I'm starting to wonder what the new guy will do. 
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

overwhelmed123

Yes, Amen to that Pooh!  God bless our wonderful troops!

holliberri

Three cousins of mine were in the Towers that day and never made it out. I was happy, but I sobbed going to bed last night. I can't really articulate it, but the fact that one man was able to harness and use so much hate is a devastating prospect to me. I was 18 at the time...and I can't explain the profound loss of innocence I felt watching the news that day. Then I saw what my family went through...and then I multiply that 3,000 times over, and then another 5,000 times over during two wars, and that is just American lives I am talking about...the magnitude is exponential when I consider how the Middle East has been affected.

I know the world is safer, while at the same time I know this is all far from over. I certainly never expected him to be found, but I didn't ever think I could be happy and grief stricken at the exact same time. I didn't go into work today. I had a victory shot at 1 a.m., and I figured I better spend the day reflecting on the last 10 years and all those weird emotions this has brought up for me. I can't really call it victory, although I'm so proud of our troops and the hard work they've done to have him found. It's a little bit of closure that I didn't have before.

It is certainly a little bit of closure and a little bit of peace, but I didn't realize how complex it would be all the same.

pam1

(((Holly)))  I know what you're saying, my emotions have been all over the place with this.

Right before 9/11 I had just returned from a deployment to Saudi Arabia.  I can't articulate it but I'm sad for everyone, no matter what side of the world they are in. 

Rose799

I'm so sorry, Holly.   It hit home, for me, how long it's taken for the 9/11 families to feel any sense of justice or closure.  I'm not feeling celebratory either, though I am mighty proud of those who went in after him.   Is your dd home with you today?  Maybe the two of you can go for a stroll or to a park to feed the ducks.  Maybe dh can take off work a little early & join you.  You're in my thoughts...

holliberri

She is home today! I drove to my Aunt's house (2 of her children and her son in law worked at the WTC), but she was not home. I left some cookies and a note on the doorstep and headed home. So, I went to have lunch with DH instead. I suppose this day worked out as it should for me.

It really does help to know I'm not the only one that is feeling the gamut of emotions today. I know 9/11 affected every single one of us.

Sheen

I was begining to think I was the only one not in a celebrating mood today. Yes, it is good that they were finally able to find him, however where they found him opens up even more questions concerning who we believe are on the right side . When I woke up this morning and watched the news, it was a mixed bag of emotions.  The images of the celebrations going on in Washington etc did not bring feelings of proudness, but rather a bit of disapointment that in such a civilized country, we were reduced to this type of display over a loss of a life, regardless of their path  that person chose in life.

I understand how many will view this a closure but I hope that the future will not bring us more pain in the process.

holliberri

I'd wager to say the majority of us aren't celebratory, but I suppose this is just a perfect example of how a news story enables people to paint with a broad brush. Squeaky wheels get the grease, and even if the news networks were knocking on my door right now, I don't think I'd open it for them to explain my melancholy, so I don't even think I could disprove the assumption people are getting from wathing the news if I wanted to.

pam1

I finally ended up turning the tv off and went for a walk.  Life is sure strange sometimes.

elsieshaye

I haven't even watched the news, or read any of the analysis.  I'm proud of our SEALs, and glad this particular stage of things is done.  I think there is a great deal of symbolic and psychological impact in what happened, but I don't personally believe it changes the situation much with respect to the global terrorism situation.  Which saddens me.  The fact that the situation exists at all saddens me.  So, yeah, not in a celebratory mood either.
This too shall pass.  All is well.

Pen

I'm with you all. I hope as a nation and world we can come together for possible difficult times ahead. This chapter may be closed but the book isn't finished yet.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

Someone said to me today, "Oh, this is going to cause them to retaliate."  My philosophy on this is that they were already planning their next act of terrorism anyway.  Terrorists are terrorists simply to cause as much hate and discontent that they can, in the name of some kind of cause.  I was not celebrating a death of a person, I was celebrating some closure for the victim's families, the American public and anyone that believes that what happened was wrong.  I am also hoping this means we can finally start a bigger push to get our Troops home.

Holly, I am so sorry this has been a hard time for you, and yes, I remember exactly where I was that day.  I will never forget it.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

FAFE

God Bless the USA and keep our troops safe.