April 19, 2024, 06:40:53 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

How Do I Change So It Doesn't Hurt So Bad

Started by LadyD, April 30, 2011, 09:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elizabeth

Jane --  Here's hoping a taller one finds you!

Pen

Yes, a tall, kayaking, biking, gourmet-cooking mountain man who is comfortable in town as well as in the woods...with a great sense of humor, well-informed but not overly-intense. Takes good care of his possessions but isn't owned by them. Is handy and capable around the house, garden  and workshop. Is romantic but not needy or smarmy. Did I leave anything out?
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

amflautist

Quote from: Pen on October 29, 2011, 08:00:49 AM
Yes, a tall, kayaking, biking, gourmet-cooking mountain man who is comfortable in town as well as in the woods...with a great sense of humor, well-informed but not overly-intense. Takes good care of his possessions but isn't owned by them. Is handy and capable around the house, garden  and workshop. Is romantic but not needy or smarmy. Did I leave anything out?

Yes, you left his name out of your description.  There can't be more than one!

flower48

Quote from: Pen on October 29, 2011, 08:00:49 AM

Yes... all those things PLUS -- well educated, NOT in debt, comfortable in his own skin, able to handle quiet time, loves a good movie and not just an action movie, can hold a conversation, and he must be a good kisser.

Oh, my brother happens to pretty much fit this description.  He is 47, six foot seven, blonde scruffy hair, the outdoorsy type, likes golf, camping etc and his name is...

Just  Kidding

Pooh

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Shelby

Quote from: Pooh on October 30, 2011, 07:16:25 AM
Wears pink with confidence!

Pooh, you made me laugh out loud.  A number of years ago, we were trading in my old, huge family sedan - as we no longer needed to haul a full crew everywhere.  I wanted something I could park easier, better mileage, etc.  Our daughter would also borrow the car while in high school.  My husband found a great deal on a 6 year old Celica - cute little sporty car.  Not an actual sports car, but a sporty look to it, and only 4 cylinders.  (Never want too much power in a car that a teenager will drive).  Low mileage for the years, extremely low price.  WHY?  Because it was bright turquoise.  DH asked if I would be okay driving a car that color.  I said sure, why not.  He bought it (fabulous price, too) - and I happily drove it.  Advantage was I could always spot my car in the Target or Walmart parking lot.  With the navy sedan (or subsequent gray sedan, or silver SUV or red coupe) - I was always trying to put my groceries in somebody else's car - and wondering why I couldn't unlock the door. 

Our college age sons liked the car, but not the color, and were reluctant to drive it because it was a "girl's color" for a car.  My husband had no problems driving driving it, because his manhood is not a function of the color car he drives.  But I should have gotten him a pink shirt to wear while driving it.  ;)

I've always wondered about the guys who drive red corvettes and rev their engines at stoplights.  Are they overcompensating?  For a real man, look for the guy in the pink shirt driving the turquoise Celica  ;)

Pooh

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

lancaster lady

Has  anyone else noticed that really short men compensate by driving large cars ?

Pen

Out here it's big pickup trucks with super huge wheels, and a huge belt buckle/cowboy hat to match. I'm always so embarrassed for their wives. DH drives a small car, BTW :)
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

Last Thanksgiving was my first one where DH was in Nursing and I was alone. My sort of son, Bill, offered to come up and take me out for a festive meal. We got snowed in...so I went over to the assisted care building (I am in independent living) and they seated me at a table alone. LOL! I tried to feel like a victim but it was so funny!!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Smilesback@u

Ya just gotta laugh sometimes at the picture we make.  What are you planning this year? 

luise.volta

This year Bill plans to come and get me and take me to my sort of daughter's for Thanksgiving...about half way between your house and mine. She has been remodeling for a year and plans a Thanksgiving Gala to celebrate completing it. I was going in Sept. but, as you know, I crashed and ended up in our nursing facility instead. What are you up to?
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

forever spring

Just caught up on this post. what a treat.  :) I loved what you wrote. Liz, so true, thanks for sharing.
We don't have big Thanksgiving in this part of the world but I do agree that festive events, especially Christmas can be so stressful. Why oh why I ask again? I noticed that GPs who don't live near their GKs are advised to celebrate un-birthdays just on days when they are around to make the occasion special. Why not have un-Christmas celebrations just when we feel like it; especially if we are not religious, we could ignore Christmas totally. This event has been hijacked by commerce anyway and has for a lot of people lost all its original meaning. Sad really. Let's enjoy the good times we are given to spend with the family and not give them a label. It hardly ever works.

One more thing about ideal man. He must share the same sense of humour and make me laugh out loud - often!  ;)

Have a good time all of you strong WW who are bold and beautiful in the face of adversity. Here 60's ideas of feminism really come into their own. It was never about burning bras, it was about claiming our own identity. I loved the remark that we enjoyed being mothers and gave it our all. Now we can relax into finding ourselves again. Did you know that happiness researchers have found that the years between 60 and 75 (or thereabouts, for some of us they go on and on and on ....) are very happy years. Thought we should remind ourselves: the best is yet to come!  :)

Pooh

My DH is on the short side, is shorter than me, and drives an itty, bitty convertible VW.  ;D

My DH decided he wants to run an 8K on Thanksgiving morning.  Apparently a downtown business sponsors what they call a "Turkey Trot" (LOL, cracks me up) on Thanksgiving morning early.  So I am going to go bundle up with hot chocolate and root him on.  Get to use my glitter again on a sign....WOOT!  I'm going to get with my Mom, who we normally go over early on Thanksgiving and I help her cook the meal all morning, and see if we can either push back a couple of hours or if she can muddle along without me for the first couple of hours.  Ok, that sounds funny, because seriously, she does all the cooking, I just assist, hand her things and keep things clean.  She's not going to care.  It's more of just her and I spending time together in the kitchen.  It will probably be just my Mom, SD, me and DH again.

Then we leave there and travel back to his Mothers where his family gathers.  They eat at the same time as my Mom's, so we bring pumpkin pies (at their request because I make a really good one) and have dessert, coffee and socialize with all of them for a few hours.  This is what my DH likes to do as his family drives him bonkers after a couple of hours!  Not in a bad way, just most of them are really out there...but they are all nice.

Joseph Campbell

elizabeth

Pooh,

This is a perfect Thanksgiving Day plan, both families and yet not having to eat two full dinners.
Everybody's happy.