March 28, 2024, 12:19:30 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Tornadoes, Tornadoes, Tornadoes!!!

Started by Kennedy, April 29, 2011, 12:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kennedy

April 29, 2011, 12:51:11 PM Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:44:28 PM by luise.volta
Hi everyone, I'm checking in to say hello and to yell out loud, "THANK YOU LORD FOR PROTECTING ME AND MINE!" and sending up thousands of prayers for all the families who are left to bury and rebuild.

It tore up the city closest to us and in so many places you can't even tell something used to be there at all. We have 2 nieces and a nephew who attend college at "Alabama" in Tuscaloosa,Al. We are still hearing different numbers but it is said to be anywhere from 60 to 130 dead. And 100's more injured. We drove there yesterday to help save what we could of 2 family homes that they were living in.
To see what happened type it into You Tube. It is so horrible!!
All around us it was one tornado after another! To the side of where we live about 45 min. away a town about the size of ours was wiped off the map! "Hackle burg,Al." and below us in Mississippi a town about a hour or so away called "Rose ville" is GONE! Just gone!

More in Birmingham suburbs were torn up and some killed.
I have lived here many years and this weather is something that we always have to deal with. But it seems to me since last November when our family was first hit head on by a tornado that it has gotten so much worse than before? But maybe that is because it has been affecting me directly? All I do know is I'm praying the Lord will make it stop.
Thanks for letting me vent! It has been a VERY upsetting week!!

luise.volta

So relieved that you are OK, Kennedy. It's hard to understand and it looks like it would be terrible to deal with.(I live in earthquake/avalanche country but remember tornadoes from living in Michigan.)

I am copying a post from Pooh on another thread to share what she was through with you:

I only have time to write a few lines.  I am safe but our county is horrible.  We had five separate tornadoes out of five different storms.  The first two have been classified as EF2, they are still trying to classify the last 3 that hit us all in a span of 3 hours.  They are thinking EF4.  We have right now around 150 totally destroyed homes, 600 halfway destroyed and I don't know how many with minor damage.  They have just now entered the 4th area, so that number is climbing.  We have had 9 fatalities.  The 4th tornado went over our building and we just have minor damage but the roar was horrible and no one stopped answering the 911 phones.  It was amazing.

I worked 18 hrs, 3 hrs sleep then 14 more.  I got 4 hrs sleep last night and back at 7 this morning.  I will have to work thru the weekend so I will not be on. 

I have never seen anything like it in my life, and I just want to cry.  It is horrible.  We are in Cleveland, TN, Bradley County as there are many news reporters here if you want to track us.  Thanks for the prayers and well wishes.  I have never been so proud in my life of all the emergency response people and a community.

Thanks guys and sorry that I can't get on right now but I will catch up next week! Pooh
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

AnonymousDIL

So glad that you are safe and well.... Both you and Pooh!

Any other members in the area that we haven't heard from yet?

holliberri

I am glad you are okay, Kennedy! I wasn't aware that was where you were from. Stay safe.

pam1

Sending good thoughts your way, Kennedy!
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Kennedy

Including all of you in my prayers Pooh. And thank you for sharing.

Kennedy

If y'all want to go to You tube and type in , Tuscaloosa,Al April 27th 2011.  the film in shocking to say the least. Thank you for your well wishes.
It is going to take a lot of time to rebuild and even more time for our fear to ease. After last November we are gun shy really bad now. This is making it even worse.
I'm so grateful for the safety of those I love! don't get me wrong. But gosh this is life changing. That's all.
Our power has been off and on now for 2 days. I'm at a family members house now. So I'll be offline probably a good bit for awhile.
Thanks again for everyone much needed prayer!

pam1

Check in when you can, Kennedy.  I'll be thinking of you and your loved ones.  I'm glad to hear you have a place to go.  Keep strong.
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

luise.volta

Where is FAFE from? Seems like she, too, is a Southern Belle.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

holliberri

I believe she is from Georgia...but that could mean East Coast and it could mean on the border of Alabama. 

Nana

Kennedy and Pooh

So good to hear you are fine.  Sorry to know how devastating all these was for you.  May God protect all of you. 
You are certainly in my prayers.  Keep us posted

Love
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

Rose799

Thanks for checking in Pooh & Kennedy,

Those videos were just awful, Kennedy...  I heard a weatherman on CNN say it's not that the weather is worse, it's that people are now living in areas that was once only farmland, so there was little damage to report.  I'm not so sure I buy that as the only reason...

Pooh, Luise is right, give consideration to your health, as well as the community...

Ya'll are in my prayers~

Pen

To everyone dealing with the tornadoes, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Be safe, guys. Keep checking in so we know you're OK.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

lancaster lady

One side of the world is celebrating and the other side is grieving ....history never changes .
To all my American buddies ...thinking of you ....sending hugs ..((()))..x

FAFE

I live southwest of Atlanta.  Parts of our county were hit fairly hard.  We did not think there was any damage close to us, but about 2 miles (as the crow flies) there was some severe tree damages on roads, power outages, etc.  NOTHING like other areas in the state.  The storm came right at us - our road was even named as a likely spot for a hit, but thank goodness it did not happen.  We spent about 30 minutes hunkered down in a closet.  Griffin, a town about 35 miles from us was hit very badly.  Not sure how many, but there were at least 5 deaths there. 

And, yes, I am a southern belle as well as a Georgia Peach!!!!