March 28, 2024, 06:31:49 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in Knees and Osteoprosis and arthritis in back

Started by Louey0727, April 28, 2011, 02:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louey0727

Dear Ladies:
Got results from xrays that I have the above subject matter conditions.
Do any of you ladies have the same things and if so, what are you doing or taking for these conditions.

My doctor said, the only thing is antiinflamatories (I have intolerences to all medications).

Would really like to hear from someone.

pam1

(((Parentslol)))

I have a form of arthritis which isn't very common.  I do not take meds and I have an uncle who has it too in his back.  I don't believe he takes meds but I'll ask him what he has done.  I know for sure he got a custom bed made for him which he swears by.  Before that he was sleeping on a hardwood floor on his back to help relieve the pain.

Fish oil is supposed to be good for joints but I have never noticed a difference.

What did your doc say about exercise?
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

luise.volta

I (age 84) have both and the best thing is regular exercise. I have been able to stay off meds. that way. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

holliberri

Exercise, lots of water and Osteo Bi-Flex helps my  grandmother with her rheumatoid arthritis. She also visits a chiropractor. Her arthritis is in her back.

As far as osteopeorosis...is there something you can do to maintain.

pam1

Ask your doc about exercise before you start going at it willy nilly in the gym.  Also ask for the types you should and should not be doing.  I've made mine worse so so many times. 

luise.volta

True Pam - Curves works for me (although I don't have any.)

Also osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis are not the same thing.

An X-ray doc once told me everyone starts showing arthritic changes after 50 but without symptoms.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Louey0727

Luise:
You say you have both!   Are you in constant pain? 
You say you don't take any meds, do you take certain vitamins and does the excercise alleviate your pain, if you have it.
I have pain in the knees, back, neck hands and feet.
I have just been given the results of what I have a few days ago, and wondering what type of doctor I should see to find out what kind of exercises would help.
Like I said previously, I have intolerence to pain medication prescribed or over the counter.  I have always been very active, but for the last few months, practically live in bed because of the pain.  Walking and moving around aggrevates my back and knees.  I babysat my grandchildren for three weeks at their home and I truly believe the lifting and carrying brought on the severe pains I am having.

pam1

I go to Ortho or Ortho-Sports clinics.  Usually they will ask your diagnosis when you make your first appt and give you the best qualified doctor in their clinic.

jill

Hi Parentslol,
Welcome to aging!! I have osteoarthritis in my knees and I think it is gradually moving other places as well.    I think keeping moving is the solution, since I retired 5 years ago it has not gotten any worse, because I have been moving instead of sitting all day.  I don't like walking for more than about 20 minutes, but line dancing does not bother me at all.  I also take a couple of exercise classes, including osteofit which helps strenghten.  Don't take any medication yet.....Jill

Louey0727

Thank you to all your ladies for your replies to my post.

I would still like to know what you do for this condition, diet, vitamins, excercise and any type of therapy.

Once again, thank you.

Look forward to more suggestions and stories.

Jill, are you in constant pain and other joint pain?  Have you found an over-the-counter pill that helps the pain (not aspirin but maybe Tylenol)?

holliberri

Parentslol,

Have you looked into glucosamine at all?

Here is Osteo-Biflex. I don't know anything about it, but there are several people I know who are quite happy taking it for several type of arthritis. It should list the ingredients on the website. My dad finally stopped screaming in his sleep once he switched to water (in lieu of soda) and then added Osteo-Biflex. He has osteoarthritis.

I ALSO think it helps with bone loss, but I can't be certain. It's OTC.

http://www.osteobiflex.ca/en/pages/index.aspx

LaurieS

One of the biggest things that people overlook when it comes to arthritis is pure plain water

holliberri

Yes, I do believe water changed my dad's life. No joke. My g-ma hasn't had her hands cripple on her yet and she's had rheumatoid arthritis for 50 years. She always has her water bottle.

LaurieS

I'm always amazed at what proper hydration does for the body.. but seldom if ever will a doctor ask you how much water you are drinking... I swear, that I helped save a girl from some surgery by talking to her parents about what my dd went through and how water alleviated her problem and actually improved her life.  Within two weeks this girl who had given up all sports and was in pain walked up to me and said wow I never knew.... This family was drinking tea by the gallons (tea dehydrates) they thought it was as good as water.. within another two weeks she was back playing sports.  I think there is a financial reason why doctors don't push water as much as they should.

Louey0727

To Laurie and Holly:

Re: Water

I drink 8-10 bottles of water a day.  Someone/a friend who is a nutrionist, said you are probably not getting enough protein, which could be true and your joints may be loaded with "uric" acid.
I am having a thorough blood test next week (have to fast) but I asked the doctor to tick off for testing the uric acid.  All the things that people tell me, makes sense.
I am going to be 70 years old in August and just wonder, if it too late to try different solutions that may not help me now.
I am in so much pain, that my brain is foggy and I am normally such a active person but lately it hurts even to go down a flight of stairs.  Normally, I never suffer from depression, but I am feeling so depressed about this, as spring is here and I am so afraid I will not be able to do any gardening.  It hurts to even walk around the yard and I get so depressed as it hurts to bend over to pull a weed.
Sorry, if I sound like I am belly aching, but I do not want to be a disabled and unable to do things.
Thanks for all the replies.