March 28, 2024, 01:18:21 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Baby Gifts

Started by LaurieS, April 28, 2011, 09:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancaster lady

My GD loves anything with music and lights ......now at 14 months she can work daddy;s ipad ...seriously !

LaurieS

I haven't yet heard of one larger thing the kids will be needing that they would like for me to purchase... we will contribute to an initial savings of course, but there just has to be something that screams Faux Ma

lancaster lady

Laurie ...you need to go and browse the baby stores , it's impossible not to buy something..!
browsing toys r us ....bought my GD a sandpit ....plus the giraffe she refused to put back ...!!  lol

LaurieS

my dil will be so bombarded with especially  the small things..  I'd even consider going in on something that is outside of everyones budget to make it happen..... I'm still kinda wondering how they are going to fit a child into their house, talk about full.

elsieshaye

Quote from: pam1 on April 28, 2011, 11:09:48 AM
What about that leash?  Man, they sound like a good idea but when you see them in public -- just looks a little awkward lol

I totally used a leash with my son when he was little.  Got a lot of dirty looks, but since he wasn't killed running into traffic or flinging himself off the tops of escalators, I'd say I made a good choice. :D

Of course, now he does parkour.  Too bad you can't leash a 17 year old! ::) ;D
This too shall pass.  All is well.

holliberri

He does? You're  the first person that I've met that knew someone that does that. I've heard of it, but I've never seen it.

free_at_last

I think it's becoming more and more popular.  My son said he sees it all the time on campus at college.  It seems to really appeal to that age group.

elsieshaye

I had to google it when he told me about it.  He and his friend climb buildings and shimmy up light poles.  And then DS comes home and tells me all about it, and shows me the new rips in his "parkour shirt" (he's a total clothes horse, and has designated one of his lesser shirts as his official parkour-ing uniform).  He loves the fact that it's physically demanding and draws a crowd (especially girls).  I told him, with typical mom-logic, that I'd kill him if he fell and broke himself.  He laughed and patted me on the head. Clearly, he's terrified of me... :D

elsieshaye

Quote from: Laurie on April 28, 2011, 01:58:47 PMbut there just has to be something that screams Faux Ma

Do they make plushies in the shape of gallon jugs of vinegar?

OMG!!!  OMG, they do!!! (close, anyway)

http://www.etsy.com/listing/60483383/mr-vinegar

pam1

Quote from: elsieshaye on April 29, 2011, 11:11:20 AM
Quote from: pam1 on April 28, 2011, 11:09:48 AM
What about that leash?  Man, they sound like a good idea but when you see them in public -- just looks a little awkward lol

I totally used a leash with my son when he was little.  Got a lot of dirty looks, but since he wasn't killed running into traffic or flinging himself off the tops of escalators, I'd say I made a good choice. :D

Of course, now he does parkour.  Too bad you can't leash a 17 year old! ::) ;D

Yep, I'd say you made a good choice too  ;D  What's parkour?

I see the leashes all the time in the airport.  I think there needs to be more leashes in the grocery store, maybe I can start a business rent-a-leash at all the hot spots lol
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pen

Quote from: elsieshaye on April 29, 2011, 12:31:55 PM
Quote from: Laurie on April 28, 2011, 01:58:47 PMbut there just has to be something that screams Faux Ma

Do they make plushies in the shape of gallon jugs of vinegar?

OMG!!!  OMG, they do!!! (close, anyway)

http://www.etsy.com/listing/60483383/mr-vinegar

Now I've seen everything.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

elsieshaye

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/urban-sports/parkour.htm

Pam, parkour is basically running across a city, using buildings and fixtures as means to propel you forward and/or upward instead of (like a normal person) walking around them or through them.  I guess it's like flagpole sitting, in a way.  It involves climbing rails, jumping or flipping over things, and shimmying up and down things.  You're not supposed to re-trace steps, but to do your best to overcome physical obstacles and always move forward.  I love the philosophy, and it's excellent exercise, but I'm not crazy about my son hanging by his knees from the Crate and Barrel storefront, lol. 

pam1

So, he's like Spiderman?  ;D 

LOL, hanging from the crate & barrel, funny.  I really like that philosophy too.

People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

elsieshaye

If Spiderman wore ripped jeans, an "Everyone Loves an Italian Boy" t-shirt, and kept losing his cell phone in the bushes, then yes, he is totally Spiderman.  *snerk*

Pen

Velcro needed here? BTW, I'd be a nervous wreck, Elsiehaye. Good on ya for keeping a sense of humor about it. I guess you're used to it, chances are he's always been drawn to exciting activities?
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb