March 28, 2024, 10:52:50 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

I would have never gotten away with it.

Started by SassyDI, April 27, 2011, 05:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holliberri

Thanks. I really never heard the term before. Admitted heathen.

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: Laurie on April 27, 2011, 07:38:14 AM
If I, god forbid, overstep a boundary when it comes to discipline the child could be ripped out of my life forever.. ok that might be an exaggeration but as a grandparent our thoughts, actions, reactions, are at times so micromanaged by our kids and their spouses that it's hard to know which way to turn without getting hit by the mack truck

With some of the DIL's described here, I don't think this is necessarily an exaggeration. If I felt my MIL, or Mom for that matter, overstepped her boundaries with our child, she would get a warning to not do it again, but next time. sorry you probably won't see the kid for a while (Ok, she would get more than 1 warning, but not 150 gazillion lol).

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: Holly on April 27, 2011, 08:06:50 AM
Thanks. I really never heard the term before. Admitted heathen.

It's okay, we will throw some holy water your way lol

holliberri

pam1

LOL Holly, us kids used to joke that it was better to get caught by Mom, she'd just give you a quick smack and that was it.  Dad would have a come to Jesus talk and he'd talk and talk and talk and talk.  Your eyes would be glazed over and head hurt.
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

pam1

Quote from: AnonymousDIL on April 27, 2011, 08:13:47 AM
Quote from: Laurie on April 27, 2011, 07:38:14 AM
If I, god forbid, overstep a boundary when it comes to discipline the child could be ripped out of my life forever.. ok that might be an exaggeration but as a grandparent our thoughts, actions, reactions, are at times so micromanaged by our kids and their spouses that it's hard to know which way to turn without getting hit by the mack truck

With some of the DIL's described here, I don't think this is necessarily an exaggeration. If I felt my MIL, or Mom for that matter, overstepped her boundaries with our child, she would get a warning to not do it again, but next time. sorry you probably won't see the kid for a while (Ok, she would get more than 1 warning, but not 150 gazillion lol).

I'm not even a grandparent but I already feel this way.  I'm very careful about who's kids I watch because of this.  I do the best I can but I'm not interested in walking on eggshells b/c I can't follow every single rule.

One of my SIL's didn't let her child feed himself until he was 3 years old, I didn't watch him until he was 3 years old. 

holliberri

Yeah, I am not comfortable disciplining others' children either. Not even in my own home. if I'm babysitting though, I run the rules I plan to have by the parent. Some stuff I just can't abide.

holliberri

Pam, I am glad I didn't know what that was, then. LOL.

LaurieS

Our problem will be the parent thinking I'm an overly strict gp.  I will not allow certain things in my house and I don't care if your daddy's name is Obama.  And there are a lot of parents out there who are raising little mini-me's who are being taught that it's only mom and dad rules and regulations that must be adhered to and worse.. that mom and dad trumps all.

I hope I never hear my son utter words like, yes it's your house but I told little Warren the he could throw the ball indoors.   I think with grandparents it's a no win situation in many cases and it will come from infinite angles. 

holliberri

Quote from: Laurie on April 27, 2011, 08:34:33 AM
I will not allow certain things in my house and I don't care if your daddy's name is Obama. 

I was told by a lady that I asked to be quiet in a restaurant that she didn't have to b/c, as she put it, Obama was my daddy now.

Classy.

LaurieS

Quote from: Holly on April 27, 2011, 08:36:13 AM
I will not allow certain things in my house and I don't care if your daddy's name is Obama. 

I was told by a lady that I asked to be quiet in a restaurant that she didn't have to b/c, as she put it, Obama was my daddy now.

Classy.

LOL.. well that is a whole conversation within itself... lol.. 

holliberri

No, actually. She won. Conversation was over at that point. So was my dinner.

I left the restaurant, and the waitress got a $40 tip for my lousy sandwich. I felt so bad for that woman that night.

pam1

Our problem will be the parent thinking I'm an overly strict gp.  I will not allow certain things in my house and I don't care if your daddy's name is Obama.  And there are a lot of parents out there who are raising little mini-me's who are being taught that it's only mom and dad rules and regulations that must be adhered to and worse.. that mom and dad trumps all.

I hope I never hear my son utter words like, yes it's your house but I told little Warren the he could throw the ball indoors.   I think with grandparents it's a no win situation in many cases and it will come from infinite angles.

I think if someone is determined enough -- they will find anything to prevent a relationship that they don't want occurring. 

When I say I'm the parent, it's my rules I don't mean that globally across the board.  My rules are you go to someone elses house, you follow the laws of the land.  DD knows and is aware that I parent differently than her father and stepmom but she also knows my #1 rule is to respect others.  Their house, their rules.  She also knows rule #1 applies to herself as well, if someone is not respecting her, she is allowed to do what she sees fit in order to correct it. 

Now if I feel it is abusive, then I will be Mama Bear.  Other than that, I think it's doing kids a disservice in not allowing them to participate in life and all the people in it.  How do you expect them to keep a job with people from all walks of life?

holliberri

I agree Pam.
With the exception of hair pulling. I just can't have that. LOL.

LaurieS

This I believe has become a common problem concerning jobs... To often the 'young' new employees are in such a mindset that the jobs are to change their views to accommodate them.. Circles right back to the whole entitlement program that so many people are not participating in and it all starts at home.

I got that from HGTV.. Start At Home