March 28, 2024, 02:15:57 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

What's up with this?

Started by Scoop, April 24, 2011, 08:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scoop

Thanks everyone!  I knew I would get some good perspectives.

So basically, the competing desserts would not have been competing had they been served together.  And it's only a competition if I accept the challenge.

Also, all the background and all the little things that are behind it, really do make it more of a dig.  However, it's true, it's only a dig if I actually let it get to me.  So I'm not. 

I'm already over it. 

And really, the girls had SO MUCH FUN putting the cake together (and eating the candy), and the important people did fuss over the cake and congratulate them for how delicious it was.

No, we didn't end up bringing any home.  The cake tins had already been thrown away and there really was no (easy) way.  And with all the Easter goodies, DD isn't going to miss it, and nor will my hips or sit-upon.

Pooh

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

Great way to view it Scoop... I didn't realize that we were all so wise and gave you such direct insight ... but... we're not done discussing it :)  and now look you have pooh reliving her girl scout days with sit-upons.

I got in trouble Pooh for refusing to carry mine with me everywhere I went... I was not above getting my behind dirty

pam1

Scoop, good on you for finding the positive in it all.

And Laurie, I have no doubt you were getting in trouble at girl scouts.  All I remember from girl scouts was how to make a fishing net out of panty hose
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

holliberri

I remember sneaking over the the boys scout camp to make out when I was 14.  ;D ;D

LaurieS

I was making smores at that age Holly.. see somethings never change

luise.volta

I was a girl scout. My uniform was one of the few things that I remember that was bought for me new. I had two older sisters and it was the depression. (No one had a sense of entitlement!) When I was 16, I was still in a Girl Scout Mariner's troop and a counselor at camp. Still sing those songs.  :)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

LaurieS

I hated with a passion being a girl scout... while the boys were out walking rope bridges we were forced to use our sit-upon.. the smores..oh those had to be cooked by the leaders because young girls were to dainty to be near fire. 

My boys were both Eagles scouts.. the oldest took flying and gliding lessons.. they took trips to Canada..Scuba Diving etc.  My daughter gave up in short time as she was only selling cookies in front of the local convenience store. Maybe it use to be different, but I can't see any of the girls finding this enjoyable enough to make it through the ranks.  On a good note.. my dd was taken in as the lil sis and got to participate with the boys often (not as in the Holly-way)

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: Laurie on April 26, 2011, 09:07:57 AM
I hated with a passion being a girl scout... while the boys were out walking rope bridges we were forced to use our sit-upon.. the smores..oh those had to be cooked by the leaders because young girls were to dainty to be near fire. 

My boys were both Eagles scouts.. the oldest took flying and gliding lessons.. they took trips to Canada..Scuba Diving etc.  My daughter gave up in short time as she was only selling cookies in front of the local convenience store. Maybe it use to be different, but I can't see any of the girls finding this enjoyable enough to make it through the ranks.  On a good note.. my dd was taken in as the lil sis and got to participate with the boys often (not as in the Holly-way)

I made it as a Brownie all of 3 weeks! LOL It was BORING! lol

pam1

Yeah, I never even made it to girl scouts, I was only a Daisy
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

holliberri

IDK, Laurie...I think that depends on the troop. I was in until I was 17...I earned my Gold Award. We did white water rafting; Niagara Falls and camping a lot. There was some silly stuff: like a makeover session at the mall. We went to Assateague and camped there. I earned my Gold Award, but I never told my friends in High School. When it hit the paper, I was mortified. Geek!

LaurieS

Quote from: Holly on April 26, 2011, 09:13:26 AM
IDK, Laurie...I think that depends on the troop. I was in until I was 17...I earned my Gold Award. We did white water rafting; Niagara Falls and camping a lot. There was some silly stuff: like a makeover session at the mall. We went to Assateague and camped there. I earned my Gold Award, but I never told my friends in High School. When it hit the paper, I was mortified. Geek!

It's always the troop and the leaders... when my dd was in it.. a group of moms were talking and I explained why I hated it so, so many years ago.. So one country born mom pipes up and she was dead serious as she says.. then what if we let the girls do something that is more hands on.. like plucking a dead chicken ... lol.. I just looked around in disbelief

holliberri

OMW...I did have to clean up horse stables once. I didn't kill anything though.

Sunny1

I remember being a Brownie for what seemed like forever and then I finally became a girl scout and was sooooo excited to go to camp. When I got there I ended up with a counselor that forced me to eat lima beans, which I hated. Then after my roomies talked and were noisy all thru the first night, we were forced to clean the latrine the rest of the camp....yup...outhouse.

I quit girlscouts immediately after that. Wouldn't even camp for a long time...but wow do I laugh my butt off now about it.  ;D

LaurieS

The boy scouts troops leaders son was caught at a b.s. event held at our county park of painting anti gay and black slogans in the rest room.  At first everyone was going to pretend it was there already... I made my husband pitch a fit and so the leaders son was forced to repaint the bathroom, the leader then claimed that his child earned some kind of merit badge and actually gave him the badge.. so yes like everything in life.. it's comes down to the individuals not the organization.. Even girl scouts was created for all the right reasons.