March 29, 2024, 06:10:51 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Personal Messaging and WWU Etiquette

Started by luise.volta, April 23, 2011, 08:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tara

Maybe someone who takes a slow site would invite me to be back up.

luise.volta

Tara: My guess at this point is that whoever takes the slow sites, which are the ones I suggested for you, won't need backup...but it's all a guessing game at this point.

To All: What some of the team are doing is to get a separate email account for this work only.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

I have also clicked the little box next to my email address in my profile so that people will have my email if they need to contact me.  The seperate email is a great idea.  I am giving the team members and Luise my personal one and I will create a random one to post that anyone can see.  Lol....I think I have a touch of OCD this morning.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pooh

Ha ha ha...Ok, now I have changed my mind.  I opened up an entirely seperate email for anything WWU.  Luise and Pen, I already gave you my personal one (which I don't mind you having) but could you change it to the one I just created for WWU.  That way I can keep it all together...Lol

My WWU one is WWU_Pooh@hotmail.com

Sorry for the confusion.  And a heads up today, we are getting hammered by these storms again so I will be in and out of my office today.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

pam1

Quote from: luise.volta on April 26, 2011, 07:09:54 PM
Great Pam! Thanks! So you are taking over Adult Sons and/or Daughters May 1st, right?

Holly asked about how I intended to handle complaints that I might get about Category Moderators, so I took my email address out of my reorg post above. I definitely don't want it floating around.

Yes ma'am, I'll be ready.  Any advice or words of wisdom thrown my way will always be welcome. 

Perhaps complaints about a catergory moderator can be made to another moderator or Laurie?  At that point they can decide if it is legitimate or not, whether they approach they other moderator or not.  And if all that fails, approach you to take action?  That way by the time it gets to you it's actually legitimate?
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

luise.volta

Thinking...thinking...

Kirk is looking at getting the "Report To Moderator" option to bypass me and go straight to the Category Moderator. She then can approach the issue via open posting without divulging names; i.e.
"Generalization has again been reported to me and noted, lets knock it off." And for those really sensitive gals, "Remember the 'Take what you want and leave the rest' admonition, please." Or to the arrogant, "Would those attached to generalizing take this warning...if you continue, you will be deleted from membership. It reeks of prejudice." The complaint is thus acknowledged without private dialog.

Separate email addresses is a great idea. Laurie has done that, already. I would prefer (but it's up to you) that you don't put your new email addresses in your WWU Profiles. I am trying to discourage off-site interactions. That's where the "I said/she said" gets going. It's hard enough to stand by what you say when posting without being quoted beyond that venue.

Things will go much smoother if you only interact with the members in your categories within the posting format. And Category Moderators can refer members to other categories the same way. Like, "Good question! Please post it again under the 'Helpful Resources' category and I bet you'll get what you need there. Then feel free to return."

If a member in any category wanted to reach a Category Moderator, she would go to "Report To Moderator." I'm aiming for as much up front as possible and as little as possible that is unseen. The occasional "Report To Moderator", (I don't get many,) would go directly to that Category Moderator and not come to me...if I understand Kirk correctly.

If Julia doesn't respond to the invitation to join us...the two very light categories..."Grandchildren" and "SILs and DILs Parents" will go to Holly and Pam1, if they are willing, because of the overlap. I don't think it will change the load to any discernible degree.

Thinking...thinking...

pam1

Those categories are light enough that I'm ok with it.

My concern would be someone who needs a little extra help in adjusting to the forum.  It might be a little embarassing for everyone to discuss on the board.  I understand not wanting too much behind the scenes but I think to smooth the waters we might need a little bit.  I also kind of think we need to present a united front, so it might be best if we have the option to discuss off board.

DH did mention to me (he's a site owner and moderator) that his moderators get together on a weekly basis to discuss issues, things they noted etc.  It keeps them all on the same page.  I think that may be a good option if all the moderators are up for it.  It doesn't have to be weekly, could be monthly or as needed.
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

holliberri

Quote from: pam1 on April 27, 2011, 09:31:59 AM

DH did mention to me (he's a site owner and moderator) that his moderators get together on a weekly basis to discuss issues, things they noted etc.  It keeps them all on the same page.  I think that may be a good option if all the moderators are up for it.  It doesn't have to be weekly, could be monthly or as needed.

This is a great idea, I think.

Pooh

I am good with whatever you guys decide.  Luise, I unchecked the option to view my email from my profile, if you want to edit it out of that post. 

I probably will not make it on much today, we got hit by a tornado.  Luckily, only 1 signifigant injury and about 7 houses completely destroyed.  So we are very busy and I have been pulled into dispatch.  A second round of worse storms is supposed to be here in about an hour or two, so keep us in your thoughts.
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Dumb question, (with many to follow in all probability.) How would we get together? In a Chat Room someplace? Weekly might be best at first. Would it work for Laurie to head that up? Then she would report to me. Laurie, any thoughts?

Regarding Category Moderators doing one-on-one work, I'm leaving that and the option to publish your WWU email addresses up to you. My preferences and suggestions come from my own experience, which may not be yours.

luise.volta

O, Pooh...sending good Juju!

And you can follow your own instincts regarding your email availability, as posted above. I have backed down on that because I think the decision should be yours. If you leave it open and it's too much, you can get a new address that you don't publish in your profile and delete the first one. Trial and error/success.  :)

Pooh

I am good with either.  I trust your experiences and if you get the report to moderator to come to us, then I see no need for the email except to correspond with you and other team members.  I was just posting it to give members a way to ask a question or anything, but the report to moderator thing would be the same.

Joseph Campbell

Pooh

I would like to add that whatever way is decided, I think it needs to be consistent to all of us so as not to create confusion.  Either post emails or use the report to moderator. 
Joseph Campbell

holliberri

I think that we can get together via Chat somehow, if that works. It just needs to be at night. Lunchtime at work won't allow a chat feature.

luise.volta

Yes. Timing would be the problem, probably, because we are in many time zones and each person has her own constraints. I wonder how others do that?