March 28, 2024, 03:09:47 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Personal Messaging and WWU Etiquette

Started by luise.volta, April 23, 2011, 08:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieS

lol... I'm sorry I had to laugh when you said Laurie will handle the newbie's.. well there goes all the new people :)  j/k  What I had spoken to you about at one time was having 'canned' messages for new incoming people.. if these people can be sure to receive a copy of your "Luise's" words as a welcome and informing them of the basic 'before you post' areas to look at.  I would be only sending them these messages ... please my tactfulness is often lacking and I don't want to have to change my name to Col.Laurie..  You are correct I think it would be beneficial to be sent in a private message....

But as I said before Luise... I would have some concerns over anyone feeling empowered over the general membership and actually an automated system would be great if you weren't looking at such high cost

pam1

Perhaps there is a way to generate income for the site?  I know that would have to do with ads and such which could be annoying or maybe a paypal button to donate directly to Luise and Kirk. 

Laurie, I think you would do a great job.  I don't know, I think Luise can still keep the control and if there is checks and balances, people who can honestly tell each other they need a time out, it could work.  Even if someone gets too big for their britches, they can still be reigned in, it's not their site...full stop. 
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

luise.volta

Oh, Laurie...I'm so sorry. I really went off into left-field on that exchange. Please forgive me...I stand corrected.

OK...everybody...same plan..."Newbie-mom" job open. And any suggestions as to how that might work would be gratefully accepted and considered. I know it needs to be by PMs and that canned stuff doesn't work. I'm not sure anyone has ever opened the "Read Me first" and "Modified Agreement" cans.

I simply have to give other people power. There's no way to spread me any thnner and survive.

Pam1...interested?
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

pam1

Luise, I will do whatever you'd like me too and I'm not afraid to get told I'm wrong.  I do think Laurie would be a good fit for newbies. 

I also think some other people can step up, some that just come to mind that I think of highly and value their contributions. 

Pen
Tara
Pooh (although we know she's not feeling well at the moment)
Holly

Actually, just typing this I thought maybe Holly and I can take the DIL's, I know they seem to respond to me better.  And perhaps Laurie and another MIL can take the MIL newbies?

Just a thought, and sorry for calling you ladies out, you just come to mind as people that I value and can "see" helping the site out. 

luise.volta

Thanks for the continued interest and suggestions.

Please keep them coming.

As you may have read, Lauie doesn't want to be Lt. Newbie-mom. I can understand that. So many of us are both DILs and MILs that division may not be needed with the Newbie program. It will be more about protocol than content probably.

pam1

Luise, how about something like this?

Two DIL posters who can help out the DIL newbies and take their complaints. 

Two MIL posters who can help out the MIL newbies and take their complaints.

When one DIL moderator gets a complaint, they share with the second DIL moderator.  Those two decide whether to approach you or take care of by themselves (communication over PM to settle dispute.)  If they cannot settle the dispute, they approach you.  I think by having both moderators involved with each section this will be a natural checks and balances of the board and one person can't get themselves up on a pedestal.  (same goes for the MIL moderators)

I know it may sound silly to divide among the lines MIL and DIL, but I do think MIL's respond better to another MIL and DIL's to another DIL.  It might cause less friction right off the bat.

luise.volta

Kirk and I have talked about a donation option and ads. He just can't set aside the time to pursue implementing them. He is one busy paperhanger. Those things would repay but they wouldn't solve the issues at hand that are closing in on me.

pam1

Oh and perhaps just a simple notification on the board to please approach XX XX people with your complaints.  And should they still keep coming to you, just ask them to go to their complaint moderator?  That way no one actually has control or any real moderating powers, it will still all lie with you.

holliberri

I could handle what you give me if you choose. I do think we have to be sure that someone is guarding the guards. New moderators could get out of control. But, I would gladly help if I could since it means making your life easier. Just let me know. I don't think I'd be perfect, but I would do my best.

luise.volta

Pam1, ET all -

I am not thinking about Newbie complaints. I am thinking about getting them off to a good start by being given some guidance into our site. A PM welcoming each one personally, DIL or MIL, it doesn't matter, and suggesting they read "Read Me First" and the Modified Agreement" plus a few threads before starting to post and then coming back to the Newbie-mom with any questions that might come up as they get their feet wet.

Complaints: I'm not particularly interested in complaints. If people like it here they can stay...if they don't, they can move on. When complaints do arise, it would be the Category Monitor's job to deal with any open complaints and PM with that person to resolve them. All of that needs to be done respectfully, or off it goes to the PM Guru.

All disrespectful PMs, sent from one member to another, would be forwarded to the PM Guru, as well.

Our site isn't for everyone. We all have complaints and it's either worth staying or is isn't. However, if we can get a handle on the troublemakers...it could evolve into a more productive site. "Troll-patrol."

luise.volta

Thanks, HB - Those willing to step up to the plate and be responsible for the jobs that I am starting to define have to have the authority to carry them out.

Scary, I know but I'm spread too thin. It has taken me a while to get that...but now that it has dawned, it's crystal clear. Some may misuse their power and make things worse before they get better. I hope not but I'm not going to be driven by fear and refuse to release the reins. I'm not dropping them. Be reassured.

I may have to be the PM Guru. I hope not, of course. I think I would be more effective as the PM Guru's Guru.

This is all just starting to take shape. A Think Tank in the making.

pam1

Ok, I'm just going to add some more nominations here. Some people probably won't see this until later.

Scoop, OW123, Hope, Nana, 1Glitterati, Rose799

holliberri

Well, I don't mind being someone who receives complaints for whatever section YOU think I should take. I'll handle them as best I can.

We all know I never miss a generalization anyhow.  :P

Caveat: what happens when someone has a complaint about a moderator? It's a possibility. Would they then contact you?

Tara

I'd be happy to help if there is something I can do and also if there is a back up system so if I'm not online for the day or out of
town someone else is in place to share the responsbility

FAFE

Luise I'm on a couple of other boards who take donations to help keep the site up.  If you would give us an address I'd gladly send a donation to help with this board.