March 28, 2024, 03:52:20 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Sad grandmother

Started by Jana, March 28, 2011, 08:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pen

Jana, so sorry to hear this. I have a feeling your DD is sad too. Perhaps a way to close this gap will show itself soon. Best wishes.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

holliberri

I am so sorry, Jana. I do believe that if you feel depression coming on, you need to try and focus on making sure you are okay, regardless of the unfortunate state that seems to be at the moment.  I find it hard to believe that you fawned all over the baby for the time that you saw him when you clearly picked up on signs of distress from your DD. Not that it matters, but I was just pointing out the fact that generally, when I feel people are "fawning" over my DD, they are a.) ignoring the needs of DD and b.) totally unaware of my discomfort  at time and c.) DH gets frustrated b/c he would like to have a quasi-adult conversation even though the baby happens to be in the room.

Your second to last post made it seem like you very aware of the situation going on around you, and that above all you were more concerned for your DD than anything else.  While I don't think the amount of time you spent with your GS is unusual (especially given that no one else has been over, if I understood your post correctly), either; your explanation of your DD's behavior does seem concerning. It would be more understandable if you were there for an 1 hour and 15 minutes and everything was totally fine.

I do hope that something will avail itself to you; I think your DD might need it more than anyone.

jill

Hi Jana,
So sorry this problem is ongoing.  It sounds like your dd has a severe case of post-partum depression, is there any way you can contact her doctor, to put your mind at ease.  Is baby gaining okay now?  I know how you feel, worrying about your dd and grandson......Jill