April 19, 2024, 02:22:32 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in Knees and Osteoprosis and arthritis in back

Started by Louey0727, April 28, 2011, 02:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holliberri

Parents,

Believe it or not, I rarely get enough protein. It is one of the hardest things I've  been able to adhere to. I can eliminate fat, increase fiber, increase veggies...but I've never managed protein well at all...

Have you tried increasing  protein?

I don't think you're bellyaching, but if push comes to shove, you might need to take something to manage pain.

Rose799

Have you tried topical creams?  Dh is a big fan of Capzasin...

Nonprescription products, which produce a warm or cool sensation, come with varying active ingredients. Salicylate products (BenGay, Aspercreme, Sportscreme) may reduce inflammation in muscles and joints. Products containing capsaicin (Capzasin-P, Zostrix) may help relieve pain from joints.

lancaster lady

Parentslol;

Welcome to my world ....I feel your pain , literally !
I have osteoarthritis in my spine and most of my body .I have tried every available prescription drug available for this condition .
I also tried glucosamine with no affect . People recommended apple cider vinegar , with no affect .
different things work for different people . Acupuncture helped me enormously .
Take exercise is a familiar call , however sometimes your body refuses to move , as the pain is too intense .
I have been on anti inflammatory drugs for years , however since my heart scare I now only take pain relief , which I think is essential . Physiotherapy aggravated the condition . I had steroid injections into joints , didnt work .
Once you get the pain under control , you must keep on the move , gentle walking etc . When the pain is too much , I use
a tens machine , this is very effective .
Green lipped muscle gel alleviates the pain , but not for long ..

I'm so sorry for you diagnosis , but it's not life threatening and with the right care we can manage .You have to keep trying
different solutions until one works for you . good  luck .

jill

Parentslol,
No, I am not in constant pain, and don't take medication, I cannot take anti-flammatories because of high blood pressure, and I have to go downstairs sideways, but honestly I do believe keeping moving helps.  You can strengthen the muscles around the knee with weights on the ankle and then lift your legs (sitting down).  Check and see if your local seniors centre has osteofit classes, my shoulders don't hurt as much any more because of using weights.  I was interested to hear that drinking a lot of water helps, I know I don't drink enough.   Like Lancaster Lady says, try different things until you find something that helps.......................Jill 

Pen

We've been going through this with a family member. Water, exercise, protein (smaller protein meals all through the day), keeping thyroid levels optimal and raising low body temps to normal seem to help. Oh, also cutting out sugar. There are also beneficial supplements, some that were mentioned by earlier posts.

www.wilsonssyndrome.com has a lot of info re: low body temp and the problems it can cause.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb