April 18, 2024, 04:55:11 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Ladies, Please be careful

Started by seasage, April 18, 2011, 07:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holliberri

Happy is right. I lost $3000 during a dinner just because I gave my waitress the card. Turns out someone in the back of the restaurant got my number, made a duplicate and went to Sam's Club and bought themselve a big screen.

I got the money back, but this is so common it is nauseating.

Tara

I'm glad you got your money back.

The strange thing with my situation is that I didn't have a credit card attached to my itunes  acct, only a 12.00 credit.
The intruder used 5.00 for a 'texas holdum' app and left me 5.00.  now isn't that unusual?

THe guy at Itunes said he thought my email had been hacked into.  I don't know.
I may get a special program from b of a for a few months to watch my accts and let me know if something unusual
happens or anything at all.  its cheap and cheaper than a real problem like someone buying a big screen tv!! on my
credit card  8)

LaurieS

Your number can be copied in so many ways.. after it's swiped in an old fashion machine, the entire number is exposed and I'm sure for every way you try to prevent fraud someone has come up with 3 new ways to get your money.  For that reason I place a huge amount of emphasis on the banks fraud department who issued my card... our fraud dept is pretty good about alerting us.

SunnyDays09

Yes.  Dh and I stopped at a little roadside restaurant on Memorial Day, after our travels. When thru with dinner, I handed our waitress the card who then left the dining area.  She paid for our bill in the bar. 

She left the card on the bar to take care of something, I was to find out by calling and finding where the purchase originated, went to, all that.  Anything I could find.  The time stamp was what alerted me to where we were at the time the order was placed.  I called the restaurant and spoke to the manager and she said the matter will be handled and apologize profusely.  Also, informed me our next meal was free.   

From what I could gather, the bus personnel, (one in particular) had done this at the restaurant before. 

Sheesh.  I had to cancel that card. 

luise.volta

My Visa (B of A) watches my card and lets me know if anything unusual happens. They even stopped me from buying my new iMac and I had to call and convince them it was me.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

SunnyDays09

How would my bank have known at the time, if the card was being used illegally?  It was a very small purchase.  I didn't realize it was even made until I brought up the account online and looked thru each and every transaction.

I even called my dd to ask if she had used it online to purchase Itunes?  For I wasn't sure it was a fraudulent purchase right then and there. 

The card was not stolen.   

LaurieS

banks will not usually catch small purchases unless someone is testing the waters with 1.00 charges and usually the flag only flies if it is a international charge.   We are required to notify our CC company if we are traveling outside of our typical area.. and if we are making large purchases, as in the case of Luise's new computer... while a hassle at times, it's a pretty valuable service

pam1

B of A did such a good job of watching my card after a huge illegal purchase that I couldn't buy anything lol.  I was getting declined everywhere.  When I spoke to a manager they said their card fraud department looks for signals, several purchases within an hour, a large purchase etc. 
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

SunnyDays09

Do you feel BoA has certain clients that they don't want to question?  In the event it may slow purchases? 

Like me? ;D

pam1

LOL, I was so darn irritated and DH was delighted. 

SunnyDays09

Why is that?  Mine absolutely despises the use of cards.  So, I take up the slack for him. 

pam1

Because they were slowing down my spending lol

LaurieS

I feel like we are taking our energy and time to help stimulate the economy .. charge by bloody charge 

SunnyDays09

Hey, I know for a fact we were able to get a better quote on our refi because of my credit rating.  Ok, his job figured in there too, but they really liked my credit history.    And I will continue to work on that.  *wink wink wink

I have a Neiman Marcus feed on my FB--just for fun.  Was sent a shoe ad.  Looked up price of gorgeous beeeeUtiful pumps:  $2975.   

groan

AnonymousDIL

Ouch! The big screen TV!

My PNC card sends me a text if my card is used for a purchase over $100 or if it is used online. It is really nice. :-)
Plus, I am a checkbook fiend! I balance it pretty much every day lol