March 28, 2024, 05:43:29 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Food allergies and family "doings"

Started by SunnyDays09, April 18, 2011, 08:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunnyDays09

Gluten just may be the best poison on the planet for making us chronically ill but not quite killing us. The gluten protein called gliadin is the cause of all kinds of reactions. Symptoms of gluten-intolerance may not be present for many years. Then one day a rash appears or the stomach will swell. Some will have a lack of energy, even though they slept all night. There are those who become irritable, anxious, depressed. It is very common for gluten to cause migraine or headaches. As you can see the symptoms are as varied as the individual. It is very important for individuals to monitor their diet and take note of any type of reactions, even if that reaction is "mild."

From what I have read and understand is:

* People with celiac disease cannot tolerate gluten, a protein in wheat, rye, and barley.
    * Untreated celiac disease damages the small intestine and interferes with nutrient absorption.
    * Without treatment, people with celiac disease can develop complications such as osteoporosis, anemia, and cancer.
    * A person with celiac disease may or may not have symptoms.
    * Diagnosis involves blood tests and, in most cases, a biopsy of the small intestine.
    * Since celiac disease is hereditary, family members of a person with celiac disease may wish to be tested.
    * Celiac disease is treated by eliminating all gluten from the diet. The gluten-free diet is a lifetime requirement.
    * A dietitian can teach a person with celiac disease about food selection, label reading, and other strategies to help manage the disease.

So even though there are no symptoms of diarrhea, gas, bloating, tiredness, sores, rash, confusion, dizziness, etc, the damage is still on going in the stomach and intestines. 

AnonymousDIL

But if they don't have symptoms, how do they know if they have it? That's kinda scary if you think about it. If it is unabsorbable by everyone, why don't they find a way to eliminate it?

holliberri

You don't until you have problems. My mom has it...I am trying to avoid getting tested, but she's been on my case about it, particularly since I have DD now.   :-\  Then there are those of us with just slight gluten intolerance, not Celiacs.

I don't think they'd eliminate it b/c the  U.S. is the #1 producer of grain product. It's our "bread and butter" so to speak.

I didn't know it can cause migraines. Diet change might help me eliminate that issue.

Oh, and in New Jersey, there was a famous chef that boasted his gluten free culinary skills. 45 people wound up hospitalized, and he is basically a fraud. He was cooking with gluten all along.

SunnyDays09

Quote from: Scoop on April 18, 2011, 10:43:47 AM
We have a kid at DD's daycare who is so gluten sensitive that they had to check the play dough and have all the children wash their hands before coming into the class.  Most people think of gluten sensitivity as "Oh, she'll get a tummy-ache, wah." but it can be really serious.

Happy, what did they say when they saw that DD wasn't eating?  Did anyone at least apologize?  Because I can understand 'forgetting' or 'not realizing', but with no apology, it becomes 'not caring' and that sucks.

Seeing as how these people can't or won't accommodate your DD, then I think she should bring something to eat at the wedding.  I think she should be gracious about it and say that she's had bad experiences before with restaurants and she doesn't want to take any chances.  She can even bring something for the servers to warm up, so that she's enjoying a hot meal like everyone else.

It's a sticky situation isn't it?  You bring it up to them and you are being impossible or demanding.  You go and sit with carrots and you are the freak.  Why is it so hard?  She isn't being difficult, she has no insurance if she needs to go to the hospital.  Should the guest ask?  Or not go?  She just received the wedding invite, maybe should write that she would love to attend but diet restrictions/necessities say otherwise.  How sad.  To miss important family things because of gluten.  wow.

This past Christmas we did not show up at the other brother's home, because of this.  We went to a couple and there among the many, many dishes and plates was nothing for her to eat other than what I brought.  We got the announcement of Christmas at so and so's and I chimed in "I'll bring some gf munchies/dishes for dd to eat"  I was then told "I don't care what she eats"  Her son's wedding is also coming up in a couple of months.  Hmm.....

Family.  Gotta love em.

Pen

Wouldn't that be nice! Fortunately these days there are a lot more products for us. Some are even GF & CF which is great for my family. Udi's chocolate muffins are just like chocolate cake - I make a frosting we can eat, decorate with fresh fruit, coconut or dark chocolate shavings, and we're good to go. We take them to functions so DD doesn't feel left out. Tinkyada makes excellent pasta, and there is a brand of Tamari that is GF. We've been dealing with this stuff for so long it seems weird to go places and not have our little cooler with us, LOL.

We found out a few years ago when a nutritionist examined our nails, hair, skin, and eyes and determined we weren't absorbing certain B vitamins. My GM had had a similar problem, so it seemed to be inherited. Gluten makes it difficult for us to absorb certain B vitamins so she put us on a GF diet to see if our symptoms would improve. I immediately lost 20 lbs, among other improvements.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

SunnyDays09

My last two T-giving dinners were organic and gluten free!  Need to tweak the gravy, tho.  Everything was awesome.  Even the wine was organic ;)

AnonymousDIL

That is sooo sad, Happy.  :( They have lost their "benefit of the doubt" with me. They are just being mean. It would be sad for her to miss the wedding though.

I was thinking the same thing with the migraines, but I am 99% sure mine are from the Lyme's. Too many "crossover" symptoms these days. At least with Celiac's there is something you can do, with Lyme there is no treatment (yet) in humans if it isn't caught within the first month. I may have to get on hubby to stick to the gluten free diet more though. (He hates it).

It is sad that there isn't a pill you can take for gluten sensitivity like there is for lactose intolerance. Maybe they will develop one!  :D

AnonymousDIL

I know modified food starch has gluten in it, but corn startch doesn't right?

holliberri

Actually, the upside to my mom's celiac's...

She thought she was lactose intolerant for years. Not true. She was able to incorporate more dairy into her diet once she eliminated gluten. She'd been missing out.

Vitamin B deficiencies? That was a reason they listed for my multiple miscarriages. I was on like 10x the recommended daily amount of folic acid and some vitamin Bs.

That's interesting, Pen.

SunnyDays09

Quote from: AnonymousDIL on April 18, 2011, 10:52:57 AM
But if they don't have symptoms, how do they know if they have it? That's kinda scary if you think about it. If it is unabsorbable by everyone, why don't they find a way to eliminate it?

That is what we are reeling over.  She may have been sick for years, until her immunity just couldn't handle anymore and she just became sicker and sicker with the oddest of illnesses, never getting over even a cold.  She ow nhas thyroid issues and PCOS and celiac/gluten sensitivity.  I have been tested and am negative but eat all organic/gluten free.  Aint' gonna chance it.  ;)   I have noticed a big decrease in my migraines:  one/two a year as opposed to three/four a month!  No more IBS.  No GERD!!!!  YAY.  But I do have a goiter.  :(   So I am on iodine/iodide for that. 

Pen

Quote from: AnonymousDIL on April 18, 2011, 10:03:31 AM
I certainly wouldn't jump to the conclusion that they did it on purpose. Gluten-Free cooking is, well, a royal pain in the you know where. When DH was given his diagnosis, I started reading. I couldn't believe the all the things that have gluten in them It is unreal! So, I would chalk it up to them just not knowing what gluten is in.

It is pathetic when soy sauce, some BBQ sauces, pie filling, etc. have gluten in....

Incidentally, :-) I do have a fabulous gluten-free dessert that DH LOVES.

It is a frozen rice krispy (need to get the gluten free ones) dessert. 2 cups rice crispies, mixed with a tbsp. of butter, quarter cup brown sugar, and cup of coconut (you can add nuts too, I like to add almonds). Press half in the bottom of a cake pan, put a layer of vanilla ice cream, then the other half. FREEZE, serve topped with cherry pie filling (The Walmart Brand is Gluten Free!!!!).

That sounds yummy, ADIL. I sometimes make meringues to fill with ice cream or whipped cream and fresh fruit. I'll have to check out that pie filling. Thanks for the hint.

HappyDays, have you tried the Mochiko brand white rice flour for gravy? It's great. I do a GF/CF pumpkin pie that is indistinguishable from the real thing according to my non-allergic guests (perhaps they're just being kind..)
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

SunnyDays09

Quote from: AnonymousDIL on April 18, 2011, 11:16:33 AM
That is sooo sad, Happy.  :( They have lost their "benefit of the doubt" with me. They are just being mean. It would be sad for her to miss the wedding though.

I was thinking the same thing with the migraines, but I am 99% sure mine are from the Lyme's. Too many "crossover" symptoms these days. At least with Celiac's there is something you can do, with Lyme there is no treatment (yet) in humans if it isn't caught within the first month. I may have to get on hubby to stick to the gluten free diet more though. (He hates it).

It is sad that there isn't a pill you can take for gluten sensitivity like there is for lactose intolerance. Maybe they will develop one!  :D

Yes.  It's sad.  She's getting used to it tho.  She hates the fact she can't go out for pizza/beers with folks from work.  Unless she orders a grilled chicken breast, steamed broccs and maybe some wine.  Or, go right after eating at home and just sip some water but not touch anything!!!   

I have heard there was research going for some meds to help and they stopped because of the economy.  The funds dried up fast before actual use on humans could begin.  :( 

Rose799

I had no idea gluten sensitivities were so common.  Have any of you or family members been tested?  One of my nephews has colitis.  He, too, has no ins. but wound up in the E.R. bleeding.  For lack of knowing anything better to do, I sent him some pricey probiotics from Costco.  He now takes them daily & hasn't had an attack since.  Do you think probiotics might help protect your dd, Happy?  I assumed you had to ingest gluten to have symptoms.  I heard though. some airlines were discontinuing serving peanuts because just opening a package near someone with allergies could cause severe problems. I've learned a lot here, thank you all...

SunnyDays09

@ Rose, I have been tested - thru bloodwork and biopsy.  I do have some inflammation in lining, but no flattened villi.  Could have healed with better foods, maybe?  I don't know. I am on B6 and extra B12 constantly watching diet.  Husband has been diagnosed with diverticulitis after his colonoscopy and more recently with hypothyroid thru blood work.  I do believe more testing should be done on him to find if he is gluten/celiac sensitive. 

@Anon, no I believe corn starch is fine, as long as it is not processed alongside flours/starches that have gluten.  Even some oats cannot be eaten unless they say specifically they are processed in a gluten free plant. 
I once suspected she had Lyme's and I would still like to pursue that.  Have her tell her doctor to test her.  She had a strange bite on her foot right before things went really bad with her health:  she became sick with mono, tested positive for Ebstein Barr virus, became ill with pneumonia, and on and on.  I still wonder though about Lymes...

AnonymousDIL

Sooooooo, I am looking up stuff for the whole DH and Celiac thing. But can't find the answer to my question so I thought maybe someone on here would know since they have family members with it.

So, DH was diagnosed with celiac's about a year ago, maybe a hair longer than that. Anywho, his results were off the charts. He went "gluten-free" for MAYBE a month, then back to normal gluten intake. (sandwich here, pasta there). He has had no problems. They did bloodwork again and his numbers were normal.

Anywho, I remember DH talking about eating a sandwich like every two hours for a while. He was trying to boost his metabolism (I, of course, told him eating that amount of bread wasn't going to help him lose weight. and that he should eat a banana or apple or something HEALTHY). But, I think that he had his first round of blood tests during his little "experiment." Do you think that it is possible that his psotive Celiac's result could be wrong because he was basically eating a loaf of bread a day?