March 29, 2024, 03:51:35 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Received some very scary news this afternoon

Started by BrokenHope, April 13, 2011, 08:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tara

LaurieS

Hi there Tara.. and no I'm not a great DIL... I'm just one who tried to see my in-laws as people first.  If I was so great I wouldn't have been trying to keep him in the hospital as long as insurance would allow :)  I do love my in-laws but they are becoming more and more challenging.. not physically but mentally.. becoming more obstinate, demanding, arrogant.. lol.. all those things I see myself heading towards :)

Tara

Laurie,

did I ever tell you I was the Coordinator for the Elder Care Program for faculty and staff at UC Berkeley before I retired
a few years back.  I've heard many stories and have to say that regardless of your frustrations and stress, you are hanging
in there with them and helping them and I respect that alot.

Towards the end of my fil's life in his 90's he was one piece of work.  all the characteristics you describe and more and my
step daughter told my DH and I while smiling at my dh that she could see what she would be dealing with in the future (implying dh of course) 

BrokenHope

April 16, 2011, 09:51:55 AM #33 Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:13:49 PM by Pen
removed by request of  poster

Rose799

I'd be more than happy to help, brokenhope.  Just pay no mind to the new nickname dm gave me, Nurse Ratched...   : ) 

Tara

Hi BH,

What a team we would be!  We could get a little sight seeing in too.   8)

What part of Canada are you in?

BrokenHope

April 16, 2011, 10:25:20 AM #36 Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:13:26 PM by Pen

Rose799

Quote from: Laurie on April 15, 2011, 11:00:31 PM
You know as sad as that is Rose.. isn't it sweet that he is still that much a part of her life and mind. 
Yes, it is, Laurie, very much so...

Dad is 85, fairly good health, but when we started listing his injuries today the surgeon asked if he was a NFL player... he refuses all medications, and that is part of his problems I'm sure.. in the hospital they said that they hit him with such a huge amount of pain killer that it was affecting his oxygen level or something.. that much pain killer in him I think explains the grumpy in him.   
I would think pain meds would slow his breathing...

My mil has a severe mobility problem, so she will be of little help... driving is always the biggest issue.. he can't now and mom doesn't, neither like my driving... life was easier back in the day when you could walk to the local markets.  I'll just be on the run for the next couple of weeks.... off to bed for me.. mom eats at exactly 8am.. NO flexibility in their lives :)
I hope you get channel options, all I had was news, history, news, westerns, news, Lawrence Welk & news.  : )

BrokenHope

April 17, 2011, 12:52:20 PM #38 Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:12:41 PM by Pen

Tara

Hi,  I've got you in my thoughts and hoping for the best.

BrokenHope

April 17, 2011, 04:13:27 PM #40 Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:12:11 PM by Pen