March 28, 2024, 03:29:10 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

I'm baaaaack! The MIL chronicles: Easter questions..

Started by brandynd, April 16, 2011, 07:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

forever spring

I lived in New Zealand for a while. They have a custom called 'bring a plate', (it's like pot luck really). It makes for stressfree, laid-back dining with lots of varied delicious food stuff. what's not to like about that?
Jamie Oliver does great casseroles to be made beforehand. Check the website. That's the secret, be prepared and have the things ready before they arrive.
I look forward to hearing what you have to say after the event. Meanwhile good luck and for the next event, try and make them like the 'bring a plate' idea! It's what the Kiwis do and they live in the lifestyle capital of the world. It could catch on where you are.
:) :)

Scoop

I always find that the more dishes you prepare, the more people eat ... because they want to try everything!  So I would keep it simple.

- a ham, have you seen the spiral cut hams?  They're really good and already cut into small slices, and thus much easier to serve
- mashed potatoes (give one of the men the job of mashing)
- green beans - steamed is healthier, put them in a casserole dish, cover with cling film and pop them in the microwave
- bread - just buy some buns so you don't even have to slice the braided Easter bread
- to please the kids, have some veggies & dip (ranch salad dressing is fine)
- maybe a pickle tray?  sweet pickles go well with ham

This is just going to take some planning on your part.  Based on the length of time to cook everything, make yourself a schedule working backwards from when you want to eat.  Include the time to get everyone and everything to the table.

Speaking of which, set your table the night before, so it's ready.  (You and Dh can have toast on paper plates for breakfast!)  Have your serving dishes and serving spoons ect out and ready (with a tag in each one), have your hot pads or table protectors ready and on the table, so you know what goes where.

Do you have seating for 17 people?  (Also, I only counted 15 - check your numbers.)  Are the kids of an age to have a "kids table" using your patio set or something?

The most important point is to be confident in your choices.  It doesn't matter how it's always been done, this is how YOU wanted to do it.  And HEY! it's always fun to try new things, right?

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: Scoop on April 18, 2011, 06:07:46 AM
Do you have seating for 17 people?  (Also, I only counted 15 - check your numbers.)  Are the kids of an age to have a "kids table" using your patio set or something?

I think #16 and #17 are Her and her DH. I KNOW I wouldn't have seating for 17! Phew! That's a LOT of people.

On the "fruit" idea. I'm going to be making a fruit salad that my mom used to make. It takes a BIG (number10?) can of fruit salad. A Can of pinapple chunks, a can of peaches (I like extra peaches lol), and a can of mandarrin oranges. The pineapple, oranges and peaches get drainned. Put it all in a big bowl then add 2 boxes of vanilla pudding. Just the powder. It will thicken up the juices and make it sweet and "soupy" and ruin any nutritional value! lol It is actually VERY easy to make and DELICIOUS. Plus it gets made the day before. You can add sliced bananas, but they have to be done right before you serve or they get icky.

pam1

ADIL, sometimes I do the old 80's watermelon thing where you scoop it all out with this little tool that makes everything into balls.  And then put watermelon, cantaloupe, that green melon etc balls back into the watermelon.  You can even cut the watermelon as a basket. 

Oh, and you can add liquor too.  One watermelon ball is like a shot lol, so watch out!
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

AnonymousDIL

Oh, Pam! You just said the magic word! LIQUOR!!!! LOL

Did you hear about the kid at applebee's who got a margarita in his sippy cup?!

pam1

LOL, just be careful.  Those balls can get dangerous.

OMG, no I didn't hear that. 
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

SunnyDays09

Last thing I would do is add liquor to anything.  Our little get togethers counted over 30 people!  YIKES.  How the heck did I carry those things off?  We have a store near us that you can buy industrial size foods:  veggies, snacks, etc.  I used the for graduation parties. 

I also bought a glazed spiral ham and sliced turkey breast from some ham store, too. 

When I got calls asking "can I bring anything"  I said yes.  Sure.  Dessert?  Veggie/dip tray? 

A side note here:  Have you heard of  chiral balance for your pcos?  My dd has that, too and is taking chiral balance.  I also purchase a certain flour that is gluten free and has D-chiro-inositol.  Not easy to work with at all.  She isn't trying to get pregnant, she says she just wants to be a normal ovulating female.   
  Good luck to you with your pcos.  I understand what you are going thru. 

LaurieS

Well thought out Scoop .... If this is an informal dinner I also have a drink station, and I put one as well on the back porch, that way I can have sodas on ice since most kids like drinking from the can.  I actually have large plastic flower pots  that I use as the ice tubs... filling one with sodas the other with beer and a bottle or two of wine.

I love the spiral hams as mentioned by HappyDays.... Honeybaked puts out great hams but I heard that Sam's Club has good ones as well. 

But Scoop is right... the more you can do the night before the better off you are.. I also try not to have to cook for ourselves the night before.. a quick  dinner out saves your feet and legs for other things..... Oh one more thing.. make sure you leave out extra toilet paper so people don't feel like they are snooping to find more:) 

SunnyDays09

Sam's Club!!!  Thats the place!  (Had to bring my sis for she was the one that belonged). 

Tara

My mom used to get the best honey baked hams for holidays.

brandynd

Hey ladies!
So I went and got a spiral ham...although I think I'm going to have to buy another one, because this one only weighs 11 pounds and there are 17 of us.  Soo....looks like I'll be going back to the store this week!
On a lighter note, I got my menu worked out.  I swear I could kill DH though....every dish I bring up he's like "You should call sister#1," or "I don't think sister #2 will eat that..."
Last I checked I was hosting this thing, and as such I think I'm entitled to decide what it is that I want to cook.  The way I was raised when somebody cooks for you you don't get to be finicky.  If you don't like something don't eat it.  Ugh....just frustrated I guess.  Anyways, without further adieu, here is my Easter menu!
Appetizers
Goat Cheese bruschetta
Cucumber yougurt dip with homemade pita chips
Shrimp Cocktail
stuffed mushrooms
veggie tray

Side Dishes
Mashed Potatoes
Baked Leeks with Cheese and Yogurt Sauce
Corn Salad
Ambrosia Salad
Homemade Macaroni and cheese
Grilled asparagus and proscuitto salad

Dessert
Key Lime Pie
Berry Trifle
Vanilla berry tart

You would think with all of the food on that menu, plus the deviled eggs and bunny cake my mom will be bringing it's more than enough variety to satisfy even the most finicky eaters.  I guess we'll wait and see.  Wish me luck...I'm starting prep work and desserts saturday afternoon as well as the salads so all I'll have to do on easter is cook the ham and mash some potatoes and such!

LaurieS

Baked Leeks with Cheese and Yogurt Sauce -- not sure about this one.. not really southern cookin is it

Corn Salad -- what is this.. sounds interesting

holliberri

TheLastStraw....

You better up your number to 19. I'm coming over. Your menu sounds delicious AND original. Sounds like you have it all planned out. You'll be great!

Hope

TLS,
Sounds yummmmmy!  You are going to be a big hit.  I like how our friends suggested setting the table in advance.  I do that, too.  I set the tables, set out the serving spoons, trivets, etc., and do EVERYTHING possible the day/night before.  You can wrap your utentils in napkins if you care to.   It's always nice to have some fun music on when your guests arrive while they enjoy your appetizers.  This is going to be the Easter to remember and you will be known as the hostess with the mostest.
Great job planning!
Hugs, Hope