March 28, 2024, 03:48:45 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Why do our dils feel so threatened and insecure ?

Started by mom2, November 11, 2009, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pen

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

mom2

Penstamen,
You may have already said but can I ask how long the loving dil has been part of your family? ;)  My son has been married now for over 10 yrs.  I agree with you that my dil has no reason to be jealous or feel threatened by little ol me. They have every material thing they could ever want and ds is crazy about  her.! My dil is wonderful in so many ways..she really is... a good mom, good cook, good housekeeper, organized and so on...BUT... she is a real nut job..oh trust me, she is. Split personality describes her.

I do hope that when grandchildren come that things change for you..I hope so. My dil did let me bond with our little grandson and then all of a sudden, I guess, decided she had made a mistake  and jerked him from my life. I , honestly, thought I would die! I cried and grieved 24/7. I don't know what would be the lesser of the two evils .. loving and losing? or never getting the chance?

I hope, someday, at least one of us ditched moms can post a happy ending.

2chickiebaby

I hope so too, Mom and Penstamen.  Nothing I would like to see more than that.  Did your DIL happen to say what made her take your grandson away from you? 

Someday, I hope we come here and our hearts will be mended.  This time of year is hard for us.  Lots of people are going through this. Something that was so special to us like Christmas, is now so hard and it shouldn't be.

I think I must have a hormone imbalance or something because I have been eating non-stop. Nothing can make me full.  Lord, I'm going to blow up if I keep this up!

Pen

Mom2, DS has been married just over a year after dating for a few months, perhaps close to a year. We didn't know her that entire time, however.

How difficult is must be for you to be separated from your sweet grandchild after bonding. I'm learning a lot from all of you, and I hope for happy endings for everyone here.

Chickie, I've heard stress can affect hormones. I believe it! Hormones or not, when the weather turns colder I feel like eating like a lumber jack even though I work inside :) My poor husband - not only does he have to deal with this DIL/DS situation, now he has a hormonal, bloated wife. Maybe the quality that keeps DS hangin' in there with his snooty wife keeps DH hangin' in with me, ironically  :P

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb