April 24, 2024, 05:32:57 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Am I the only one who is angry?

Started by themuffin, April 12, 2011, 08:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

Interesting. I am still seeing families whose kids think it's a safe haven. A place to return to "to save money" by not paying their way and then using their income as they please. Schooling is something else...an understood continued dependency. I know my kids could have stayed thru college but they didn't choose to.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

LaurieS

For starts Muffin top, I'd be charging him what he actually cost... 20 a week is one dinner with dessert ... it would be  a portion of my mortgage and then required chores added to it.. that lawn mower doesn't ride itself.

I agree Luise quite a few kids are using the home base as a means to stockpile their own money (if they are working)  I thought you were saying that they were returning to once again bond with their parents and siblings.  I thought no, they are coming back demanding to be viewed as adults who are making their choices.... lol.. I say then choose to find your own place.

LaurieS

It was brought to my attention that I accidentally called TheMuffin, Muffin top .. my mind must be in the gutter today ... or we could think of it as being the very best of the muffin, wasn't it Seinfeld that brought that to light?

themuffin

LOL Laurie.  I must be an idiot, lol because not only did I think Muffin Top was a cute name, I also thought it was the BEST part of the muffin.  In fact, just last week I ordered a muffin top pan to support my low carb diet.  LOL.  Now I'm gonna have to do a search on the other meaning of Muffin Top, lol ;D

Luise, Laurie and everyone else who has taken the time to read my story and reply....THANK YOU!!!!  I feel so MUCH better!!!!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

pam1

Quote from: themufffin on April 12, 2011, 09:37:43 AM
Thanks for the compliment Pam.   :)  You can't imagine how upset I was to know that he'd been telling people that story.  Whoa! What would you think of a mother who would tell her little boy such a thing.  I asked him did he report it to his counselor?  I mean he was about nine at this time. When was I suppose to have checked out this ginormous penis?  Was I peeking thru the bathroom keyhole?  He made me come off as a real pervert.  I asked him if he skipped to his little friends and tell them that his "mommy said it was okay that he was dumb because he had a big one!" He couldn't remember.  Know why he didn't remember?....Because it NEVER happened.

Oh, another funny story.  The same "it's true, it's true, it's true" girlfriend was given an engagement ring about a year ago.  I heard about it but never actually saw it.  I asked to see it twice but she was not wearing it either time.  I forgot all about it until one day I saw it on the headboard.  I picked it up and she volunteers, "that's my engagement ring". .....Ummmm...no Sweetie, that's MY engagement ring!!!!!  This was a ring that my hubby gave to me when we were teenagers.  I stopped wearing it when we upgraded to matching bands.  I didn't know it was gone until I saw it on the headboard. 

She told me Mr. Liar told her that he got it from his grandmother (my mother).  She believed him and actually still did.  Okay, easy to prove. Let's call grandma.  His story changed.  He found that ring at the grocery store where he worked.  He only made up the grandma story because it was more romantic.  That's his story and he's sticking to it.  I made him sign a form admitting he lied or they were both out of my home.  But he still has her believing that I'm the crazy one.  After all, I wouldn't know my own engagement ring.

Son said he hasn't stolen from me since he was in middle school.  I guess he was the only 21 year old in grade school.   He's re-gifted almost all of my jewelry.  We all had to have locks installed on our bedroom doors.  We didn't get one for his and he got upset.  I had to remind him that he was the reason we needed  the locks. I can't even leave my purse in my own kitchen.  Yep. I am glad he's gone.

Thanks for the words of comfort Lancaster. :)

OMG, that is too funny. 

I don't have any real advice, I'm just at a DIL level and only have a child in elementary school.  But they do say humor is the best medicine.

People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

LaurieS

Quote from: pam1 on April 12, 2011, 11:00:48 AM
But they do say humor is the best medicine.

It's true Pam.. if I can't laugh at my own life.. how can I laugh at yours :)

themuffin

Pam, I'm so happy for you.  Enjoy them while they are little.  When the boys were little they were the light of my life.  Nothing brought me more joy than those boys.  I remember I couldn't wait for them to grow up.  Be careful what you ask for.... ::)

Hey Laurie,  I learned the other meaning for muffin top.  LOL   I started to laugh, and I tried to supress it and it came out like a sneeze so my co-worker blessed me.  I simply said thank  you.  :D  You weren't too far off. I got the muffin top pan for my diet so I wouldn't have a muffin top.

I apologize if this is inappropiate for the forum and  will speak no more on the subject.  ;D You guys are GREAT~!!!!!! I actually feel happy.  It so good to have support that I'm doing the right thing.

LaurieS

When laughter doesn't work we then often suggest plan B.. that includes wine

holliberri

I get the feeling you'll fit right in here, Muffin.  :)

themuffin

Wine...I like wine. :) I like beer and other alcoholic beverages too.  However, DS was always a buzz kill as he liked to tell people I was a alcoholic.  I didn't know I had a drinking problem until his girlfriend told me that what he was telling people.   :o 

LaurieS

The weather here is absolutely gorgeous... I've been sitting out by the pool in the early evenings, wearing my mosquito spray that I bought from OW123's mother and having a glass of wine.... 3 nights in a row I did this when my husband asked if this was becoming a habit... I said I sure hope so

All three of my kids are gone... I have one in Japan, Muffin so I could laugh at your remark about you being ok with your son taking off for another part of the world as long as he is happy.  I love my son, and he is very loving himself, but I've always told him that he could po a fuzzy bunny rabbit without trying.. he's just a harder person to interact with.. ok for his family to interact with.  My go-to word with him is 'ok, whatever'.. it seems to help me keep my sanity.

One day Muffin you're gonna have to tell us more about this girlfriend :)  she sounds like she might be ginormous too :)   J/K all

themuffin

Hi,

Back from lunch.  Kids gone.  Wine by the pool....Laurie, you are living the life!!!   ;D Love the part about the fuzzy bunny, lol. 

Yes, I will have to tell you about the GF.  Although I know my relationship with my son is not entirely her fault, she did play a part in it. 

pam1

People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Keys Girl

"Take your chopsticks and hit the road".........there is something about this phrase that just makes me laugh and laugh.

I know the subject matter isn't funny, dealing with adult children isn't, but this phrase belongs in a country and western song.....
"Today I will be as happy as a seagull with a french fry." Author Unknown

LaurieS

You know Keys Girl it's really hard when your son wants to marry someone from another country... while we are all parents and I guess the problems are the same, there must be an Asian twist on their conversations.   I explained to my son's gf that I would slap my kid silly (not really I would speak harshly to them ;)  )  about squinting their eyes at me in anger, but her eyes are always squinted :)  well unless she gets excited... like the time she went to a rodeo and turned to the audience and yelled.. they are real horses, I didn't know you use real horses :)