March 29, 2024, 05:30:06 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Changing the Easter

Started by AnonymousDIL, April 09, 2011, 11:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scoop

You can freeze the cake before cutting the ears, but you don't have to.  That cake was made by my Mom and she never got the cakes done early enough to freeze them first.  I just mentioned freezing them because we're traveling to see the IL's.

LaurieS

I thought they would hold up to the manhandling and the cutting if they were frozen. 

Chocolate zucchini... I just looked up the recipe for this cake.. it does sound good but I'd have to call it a Z-chocolate cake if anyone in my family would venture to try it.

AnonymousDIL

Well, no one died! LOL But his sister can give my brother a run for his money in the need to be right department. And you could cut the tension with a knife! And, yes, MIL did manage to annoy me. Oh well.... lol

holliberri

ADil, I am glad it went well, despite the annoyances.

AnonymousDIL

Annoyance 1 was when she and SIL went into MY kitchen and started bad-mouthing me. Seriously?! It's MY house! (My brother did the same thing last time he was over! Come On people! lol)

Annoyance 2 was when the puppy had an accident on the floor. DH yelled at him, put him outside, and cleaned it up. MIL goes "You don't want kids. You can't lock them outside." I don't know what not wanting you dog to pee on the floor has to do with wanting or not wanting kids. And, incidentally "locking the kids outside" is precisely how MIL disciplined DH and BIL1. She would sit them outside and tell them she called the cops to come pick them up.

And Annoyance #3 which I KNOW I shouldn't be annoyed over because she was being "sweet and helpful" even though I didn't ask for help because she doesn't do things the way that I do them was after I started clearing the table she HAD to help clear the table.... I use my kitchen as my "safe space" when they come over. I take FOREVER clearing things and putting them away so I can have a few moments of peace lol... But yeah, I guess it was sweet. But I really really didn't want the help. DH has agreed they won't be ivited over for a while now. So my house will be IL free for a bit,  we will visit them at their house.

Hallelujah the weekend is over!!!!

holliberri

My mom used to put me out for the trash every Wednesday. The trash men must have thought we were nuts.

SassyDI

Quote from: AnonymousDIL on April 11, 2011, 10:50:12 AM
It's funny. The more I think about it, I guess people do eat different things at Easter... We always ate ham (DH told me his family always ate ham too), but I guess some people do lamb.

Well, I am making ham, yummy potato casserole, green bean casserole, and corn. MIL is bringing rolls and jello cake. And I will make sure DH remembers to make the iced tea so there isn't a repeat of last time. *eyeroll* lol

Dear Lord, please do not let her bring that other jello thing she makes with the carrots that makes me want to gag because there won't be enough other people to distract her and she will notice that I don't eat it.
Amen! lol

DH's Grandma makes the same thing.  Is it orange jello with carrots.  Its so gross DH and his whole family love it.  When she comes and brings a dish I ask her to bring it for DH but yeah really really not diggin it at all.  I don't eat it she knows I won't and doesn't care. 

pam1

ADIL, what do you say to her?  I've taken to saying ridiculous things, as in your annoyance #2 after she said you can't lock kids outside, I would have said "Who says?"

I dunno, I just start calling people out with that stuff lol.  "You're seriously bad-mouthing me in my kitchen?"  But you've got to be able to do it calmly and chuckle as if you're watching a zoo exhibit.
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: pam1 on April 26, 2011, 06:04:50 AM
ADIL, what do you say to her?  I've taken to saying ridiculous things, as in your annoyance #2 after she said you can't lock kids outside, I would have said "Who says?"

I dunno, I just start calling people out with that stuff lol.  "You're seriously bad-mouthing me in my kitchen?"  But you've got to be able to do it calmly and chuckle as if you're watching a zoo exhibit.

That's my downfall. I don't say anything at the time. It's like I go into "my happy place" when they are around (the tension makes me clam up). I hear everything that is going on, but I don't typically respond to it, until after the fact. I wish I had asked her to clarify the statement that we will be bad parents. Anyone think it could be reverse psychology? Like now to prove her wrong I'll go have a baby? I dunno. It isn't worth my mental energy

And YES! It IS the orange jello/carrot stuff. I guess if you grow up on it you like it, but it isn't for me.

pam1

ADIL, maybe you can try out small?  Just practice saying something in return you know she typically says and then DO IT!  LOL, it won't change anything overnight but it will help you, it will help you build up self-confidence to say something back and then MIL *will* be on notice that she's going to get called out and might want to watch her words. 

holliberri

[quote author=AnonymousDIL link=topic=1566.msg38210#msg38210
That's my downfall. I don't say anything at the time. It's like I go into "my happy place" when they are around (the tension makes me clam up). I hear everything that is going on, but I don't typically respond to it, until after the fact. [/quote]

Same here.

SassyDI

Quote from: AnonymousDIL on April 26, 2011, 06:10:43 AM
Quote from: pam1 on April 26, 2011, 06:04:50 AM

That's my downfall. I don't say anything at the time. It's like I go into "my happy place" when they are around (the tension makes me clam up). I hear everything that is going on, but I don't typically respond to it, until after the fact. I wish I had asked her to clarify the statement that we will be bad parents. Anyone think it could be reverse psychology? Like now to prove her wrong I'll go have a baby? I dunno. It isn't worth my mental energy

And YES! It IS the orange jello/carrot stuff. I guess if you grow up on it you like it, but it isn't for me.

Oh me either.  DH when we were dating was raving about it and got me to try it.  Yuck I was like yeah never eating that again.  I think it is something he grow up on so it taste good to him.  Carrots and jello to me don't go together.  Though my family does this jello pretzel thing so good but people are like you eat what lol.  Its a layor of pretzels mixed with sugar and butter on the bottom, 2nd layar Cream cheese mixed with coolwhip and sugar and the top layer Strawberry jello with fozen strawberries. 

pam1

Quote from: Holly on April 26, 2011, 06:17:08 AM
[quote author=AnonymousDIL link=topic=1566.msg38210#msg38210
That's my downfall. I don't say anything at the time. It's like I go into "my happy place" when they are around (the tension makes me clam up). I hear everything that is going on, but I don't typically respond to it, until after the fact.

Same here.
[/quote]

Guess I'm going to have to pass around my book "How to Insult People Like a Lady"  lol.  Actually, I'm not sure of the correct title and I just did a search of the house and can't find it (think DH took it, I was having a little too much fun with it)  but rest assured, when I find it I will send it to whoever wants it!

Pooh

That's a good book title! 

ADIL, I'm with pam.  I have learned to look at people that I don't care for as entertainment.  I would have walked in the kitchen and said, "I'm sorry.  Did you guys want me for something?  I keep hearing my name."
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

Good one Pooh.. then I'd get out all my ultra big knives and say oh excuse me.. dh said that he would sharpen these for me... they really work better when razor sharp.