March 29, 2024, 02:27:38 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Changing the Easter

Started by AnonymousDIL, April 09, 2011, 11:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam1

LOL, I'm glad someone found that funny.  You guys will have to excuse me, I'm on some pretty heavy prescription drugs this week
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

L

AnonymousDIL, you made me laugh talking about your MIL and her Jello Cake and Jello w/carrots.  Reminded me of that Chevy Chase Christmas movie where Aunt Edna brings her special Jello desert which she adds cat food inside because she is senile!  Lol ! 

Your menu sounds great.  I would have to add a White cake with coconut icing decorated with an Easter bunny though!  Gotta have a cake!!!  (especially since your MIL is bringing a Jello suprise)  Yuk!   

Hope you have a wonderful Easter dinner!  Good luck.

Scoop

You can make a bunny cake by making 2 round cakes.  You use one for the head and the other one, you cut into 3 pieces with curved lines, making 2 ears and a bow tie.  After you ice it, you decorate it using shoe-string licorice and various other candies. 

I think this may be the "thing" I bring to the IL's.  I'll make the cakes this weekend and freeze them.  Bring icing and candies and let the kids have at it.

Scoop

LaurieS

Hey Scoop that is very creative... bet the ones you let the kids go at it with won't really resemble a bunny in the end :) but it's all in fun.

I guess I'm the only one here who doesn't get with family over Easter... my dd and her bf are going to his parents to show off the new bling ring and I'm not inviting my in-laws over.. it's gonna be a me and hubby day

Maybe I'll try a bunny cake.. did you freeze the cake before you cut the ears?

holliberri

Haha...nope. You're not the only one. I might be deviating from my diet to invest some creative energy into making a cake like that, though. Very cool!

LaurieS

Quote from: holliberri on April 12, 2011, 01:11:25 PM
Haha...nope. You're not the only one. I might be deviating from my diet to invest some creative energy into making a cake like that, though. Very cool!
Yanno lol... you could just put some ears and whiskers on the baby and she'd be your Easter bunny for the day

holliberri

LOL.

Yes, but MIL might not like that the darling little outfit she picked out for Easter is paired with rabbit ears and nontoxic eyeliner.

Besides, I'm trying to cheat here.  :)

LaurieS

Oh you could  have cheated here this last week... I made a carrot cake for dh's b-day with fresh cream cheese icing.. now that was good stuff

holliberri

Was it buttermilk carrot cake? That is deadly.

LaurieS

No I've never seen a carrot cake call for buttermilk.. but it does have like 4 eggs and 1 1/4 cups of oil, tons of pecans... pecans are healthy right?

holliberri

I might have to scrounge up my buttermilk recipe for you. Yummy...

Pecans? Um...well...I like to think so. But, Beachbody says I can't even have almonds yet. I am stuck on soy nuts at the moment. When I move up to Energy Booster, I can have almonds...I didn't see pecans on that list. Oh, and shelled pistachios. I can have those.

I like to think they're healthier when candied.  :)

Rose799

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: Laurie on April 12, 2011, 01:09:33 PM
I guess I'm the only one here who doesn't get with family over Easter... my dd and her bf are going to his parents to show off the new bling ring and I'm not inviting my in-laws over.. it's gonna be a me and hubby day

We never got together with relatives over Easter growing up (except maybe back before my g-pa died. I was 3 when that happened, but I seem to remember seeing some family videos of Easter, but we all went to the same church too).... We would take my G-ma away on Good friday because there is a farmer's market near here that is only open then.... But Easter Sunday was only "us".. We would take trips, sometimes to the zoo or Smithsonian. That kind of stuff.

pam1

Are carrots really in carrot cake?  i don't think I've ever eaten that stuff. 

People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift