April 26, 2024, 12:27:19 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

I'm planning my Mother's Day Celebration!!!! Yippee!!!

Started by Keys Girl, March 28, 2011, 04:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

overwhelmed123

Quote from: Laurie on March 29, 2011, 07:40:21 PM
Why do people get so silly over all the holidays..... I'm thrilled when ever I spend time with my kids on any day.. and celebrate life.. yes let's all go to an island and forget the problem people in our lives.. any of you have an island Luise can borrow?

I have the same philosophy, Laurie.  I don't need a Hallmark holiday to enjoy the time I spend with loved ones.  Whether it's Memorial Day, or just a Wednesday, it's all the same to me because I just appreciate the time I spend with them regardless.  Celebrate life...yes...not just on Christmas but all the time! :)  Life is too short!

LaurieS

Keeping that in mind... doesn't it make you want to sing a Christmas carole in April?  It often seems like when the 'real' holiday is here, I'm busy cooking, cleaning, playing mom...  I much prefer the special in between days.

Pam.. I hope no one in my family will ever feel the need to say the same words you just did...  I really hope that my kids, and their new families see that my joy comes from seeing them happy, and I know that does not mean that I'm always  a part of their every moment.  I want my kids to breath, explore, and not pass up great opportunities that seem to come more often for the young (at heart)   ...  what  I think parents like your in-laws are not understanding is.. even limited time together with true enjoyment is worth so much more then forced gatherings.. such a shame, they aren't even giving you enough breathing room to be able to 'want' to be with them.

Pen

In my desire to not demand, suffocate or control, last Thanksgiving I told the kids that we were not expecting them to stress out over trying to get to all the people they needed or wanted to see (DILs FOO is pretty demanding) and that it would be fine if we got together at a more convenient time. My DS was hurt! He got very huffy about it and felt as if we didn't want to see them. So much for giving them breathing room....

Because DIL's FOO is so demanding and equates love with being attached at the hip, they think we don't love DS as much as they love their kids, which validates their agenda of taking over DS's life and pushing us out. It's tempting to push back, but it's not our style.

DIL's FOO makes a big deal out of Mother's Day for DIL's DM, but do I wonder what they're thinking while they're partying down with my DS every year? Does it ever occur to them that he's got a mom too? Does he think of me? He must know I'm not being feted by anyone. DDD will make a card, but that's about it. DH says, "You're not my mom!"

I'll do my own thing. KG, let's hit the spa! Or go hiking? Or ???
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

LaurieS

Quote from: Pen on March 30, 2011, 08:22:52 AM

DH says, "You're not my mom!"

Yes, my dh hit me with that same thing one year...  You're not my mom.. well I informed him that I wasn't his lover or his housekeeper either with that attitude and the day Hallmark makes a special day for housekeepers then he'll get to slide on the Mohter's Day.. maybe

Pooh

I have the opposite.  DH makes Mother's day special for me, I make Father's day special for him.   Can I bring him to the island?  Huh huh?

And KG!  Good for you! 
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

Pooh

He will do something that might resemble a hula, but more than likely will look more like a seizure.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Keys Girl

All kinds of good ideas here, one of my dearest friends is going through the same old "You ruined my life so I'm going to ruin yours" script and my girl friend has spent the last 28 years cooking for her husband's mother on Mother's Day. Her husband does nothing for her on Mother's Day.  This year .......she's not cooking for anyone.......she's going to the spa and giving herself a Mother's Day treat. 

I may not celebrate "Mother's Day" on that particular day, I want to go to a particular concert which will mean staying over night in a hotel a few hours away from home, so that may be my Mother's Day treat to myself.  Still enjoying the options, spa day sounds good too.....maybe I'll celebrate last year's Mother's Day with a spa day THIS year!

An island retreat sounds good too, anything that we do to celebrate our Motherhood in our own fashion is great as far as I'm concerned!

"Today I will be as happy as a seagull with a french fry." Author Unknown