March 28, 2024, 03:06:15 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Stockholm Syndrome......could this be a factor?

Started by Keys Girl, March 22, 2011, 09:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

What? I agree that I am all of that ( ;D) but it was Justus I was addressing. Openly to make my point.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

overwhelmed123

LOL, Luise I wasn't talking about you, silly!  I was talking to justus, who knows nothing about me, my background, or my education.  Nor did she know about holli's when she made her little remarks.

luise.volta

Well, just so you know I am really incredibly superior! LOL!

forever spring

There are many women on this site with no college degree, and I hold them in higher esteem than I do some of the Ivy League grads I know. Education isn't everything, and it isn't always necessary.
[/quote]

Holliberri, I do agree with you completely. It is vital to be humble and hold everybody in high esteem whatever their level of education. We can learn so much from each other. If I had my time over again I think I would have another baby rather than the doctorate that took such a lot of energy to finish. I now consider it to be just a piece of useless paper in the big scheme of things. The knowledge I acquired then, didn't help me when dealing with current family issues.
I think it is bad for academics to take themselves too seriously and loose contact with the real world as many of them do. This is unfortunate because it gives the profession a bad name and alienates it from the general public. IMO all science is 'soft' science because what's right today can be proved wrong tomorrow. The world is not flat, but people died for this belief way back!
Good on you to do all this studying. Education does contribute to gaining more insights into mechanisms of living but it should be undertaken in a modest frame of mind.
Though this is not directly related to MIL, DIL issues addressed on this site, I think it is relevant because we get an idea of different mindsets. All good too!
Well anyway I have some idea what the Stockholm Syndrome is and how the name came about. Arghhh, I got the info from Wikipedia - shame  :)

LaurieS

Personally I don't really care if Mr. Psychologist refers to Stockholm Syndrome as BS or not.. and I'm not talking about his (betrayed spouses) syndrome.  The horrific situation that victims such as Jaycee Dugard age 11, who was kidnapped, raped, and forced to live in a backyard shed for more then 18 years.  Elizabeth Smart age 14, also kidnapped and raped repeatedly while her family was being threatened if she did not comply.  Elisabeth Fritzl held captive  for 9 years by her father who repeatedly impregnated her.  Two of these victims had several opportunities as perceived by the general public to have escaped, or attempted to seek aid but they did not... These girls did what they had to do in order to survive.  While I did not see mention of brainwashing as one of the tools used against these girls, it was very much a part of their every day existence.

For a moment I was curious as to why Mr. Psychologist believes that these girls stayed with their kidnappers, but then I decided that I really rather not know his opinion especially when it's translated through someone else.

LaurieS

Quote from: chelmsford36 on April 06, 2011, 11:12:13 PM
Good on you to do all this studying. Education does contribute to gaining more insights into mechanisms of living but it should be undertaken in a modest frame of mind.

It's was unfortunate that Holli's education was even questioned by another poster, or that she needed to defend her years of hard work.  I will say that to the best of my knowledge Holli has never spoken through her husband's degree, or through anyone's Ivy League education as others have done.

Luise.. you are just to funny sometimes :)

Rose799

Quote from: luise.volta on April 06, 2011, 09:00:14 PM
Well, just so you know I am really incredibly superior! LOL!

She's on a roll now, OW...    :) :) :)    The only thing I know is that the older I get, the more shades of gray I discover~  Or is that grey?   You see what I mean? 

lancaster lady

No pieces of paper can make up for personal experiences , and no amount of letters after her name could make her
a nicer , wiser person . That's our Luise ...... :)

forever spring

Laurie, I hope you understood what I was trying to say in my post. I only wanted to stress how important it is to stay modest whatever letters one has behind your name - and I also agree that ultimately they don't make one a better person. If I should have said the wrong thing - unwittingly - then I'm sorry. I just feel so strongly about people who think they are better because they have a university degree.

Meanwhile best wishes from me to all of you, WW.

luise.volta

April 07, 2011, 05:24:13 AM #39 Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 06:49:57 AM by luise.volta
Well, I think we just about covered this, right? As you all know, I don't have a degree. I don't think it's a minus or a plus. There are many roads to wisdom and to my way of thinking, any road that doesn't have compassion as its base is to be pitied because it is the well-traveled road of the ego. (That's an old saying I just made up.) All "authorities", Mr. Psychologist included, are only that until someone smarter comes along...and "she" usually does.

Pooh

I believe in Santa Claus because I choose to.  There is no science to back me up but it fits my mindset.  I also believe in miracles, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and a higher power. 

If higher education equates to belittling others opinions and thinking I am better than someone else, I'll stay stupid.

My DH is involved with DARE and I'll just leave it at that..........

Ok Luise....now we've covered it!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta