March 28, 2024, 06:43:24 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

My weekend... Good for a laugh

Started by AnonymousDIL, April 04, 2011, 07:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnonymousDIL

I just HAD to share about my eventful weekend. DH went camping with FIL and BIL2 at a big pow-wow type event this past weekend. I really missed DH, especially when the water heater "went out." Fortunately my mom and her BF were able to drop by and we discovered that something had caused the plug to come out part way. Woohoo!

Oh and I got to see my brother! YAY! They don't seem mad at all, so I guess they really are just busy.  :)

Well, since DH was spending time with his dad and brother I didn't bother him (other than a text that we had no hot water lol). Well, MIL DID bother him. She harassed DH and FIL ALL weekend! (Rude much?). She accused DH of stealing a DVD when he was at the house on Friday picking up their camping trailer. (Really? He would do this why?).

Anywho, yesterday between 9 am and Noon, MIL called DH 20 times. He did not answer after she had guilt tripped him saying "You aren't the son I raised. You've changed so much, and not for the better." (My hubby is the most incredible man. She means he changed because he puts me first and no longer bends to her every little whim.) Well, DH told her off. And I mean TOLD HER OFF!!! Called her out on her affair and everything. I can't believe he actually did this. I'm sorta glad, but it IS his mother and he shouldn't be so blatantly disrespectful even when she is, but I know that she makes being polite and respectful VERY difficult. So I just told him that he really shouldn't have said all that to his mom (but inside I was giving him a standing ovation lol).

Anywho, after BIL2's surprise 16th b-day party, we had to drop stuff off at FIL's. So we sat and chatted for a bit. Well, MIL/SIL were STILL harassing FIL so he turned his phone off. Next thing we know, SIL comes marching (yep, marching) in like she owns the place. She and FIL go to another room and she goes off into this tirade. The walls are very thin so needless to say, we heard EVERY word. Her tirade went on for 25 minutes without FIL being able to get a word in Edgewise. Her going off on how he is bad-mouthing MIL to everyone and that there is NO way MIL is having an affair with the live-in BF because if she were SIL would throw him out (like she has that kind of authority). And that FIL has NO PROOF! Oh, we all about burst out laughing. Boy is she going to be shocked when that video comes out.

She also stated that she should move away to some other state so she doesn't have to deal with the drama. I'm thinking "Please, do, and feel free to lose our phone numbers!" lol

Then she went into a mini tirade in her tirade about DH and I. Because, wait for it, we steal, that's right STEAL, from MIL's house every time we visit. That is the most absurd thing I ever heard! But then she completes it by saying "I mean, everything in their house is Stolen from mom!" OMG! Not a single thing in my house is even borrowed from MIL. I won't let DH because of all the strings attached.

But I digress, I no longer take anything SIL ever says seriously. I know that every other word out of her mouth is a lie (and the other words are curses lol). So now she just makes me want to laugh.

Oh and she is a CNA working through college and stated that she can afford a $600,000 house. Gave me a chuckle. I'd like her to try just so she can fail.

SunnyDays09

Color me confused - but I haven't read any of your back posts - so I am sorry.  I don't understand why your husband would bring up his mother's affair on the phone to her?  Was it a way to get back to her?  Explaining to her he didn't steal the dvd and perhaps suggesting she stop calling/texting unless it is an emergency -- then not answer her repeated calls for awhile, would have sufficed.  Not sure where the affair thing came in and how it is actually anyone's business but hers/her husbands/and the other person, unless your husband suffered greatly during the affair.  Maybe he could have sat down and talked to her about it?  Mil/fil are divorced???

Sounds like mom is having some major issues - she might benefit from therapy, I don't know.  But unloading on her family is only going to cause them to step way back (I can relate).  What is the base of all these rants from her?  Is she worried she is being cut from his life?  How often did her husband get calls from his mother and how did she like it? 

No sure about the mil/sil going after fil.  Why were they all together?  A birthday party doesn't sound like a good time to vent.  I feel bad for the guy who's birthday it was.  I mean, how selfish are these people they couldn't wait to air their spleens?  COME ON.  They owe this guy an apology.  They should schedule a day/week/month sometime to get together and air all this.  Get to the bottom of what it actually going on to cause all of this rage!  Get it all out but not on holidays, birthdays, family parties!  No.

I would def get the info from sil on what items were taken without mom's knowledge and return them asap. ( I have a sil that went into my mil's basement and took everything worth money she could.  She found a moment to ask mil if she could "borrow" these items and of course mil said "yes".  The sil has never returned them.  My mil saw her handmade table cloth on sils table and asked about it.  SIL now claims mil gave it to her.  That is not true.  SIL "borrowed" it.)  Get  this under control as soon as you can.  Your sil might be lying, but there may be some truth to it, too.  Find out.  Ask the SIL point blank what items are in question and if you have them - return them.  Whether it be a painting, an antique handmade Italian table cloth, a ruby brooch, etc.  RETURN THEM to MIL.  If mil says "these are gifts"  get it in writing.  For you might one day find yourself in court over it. 

Pen

OK, I've got to ask - what is it about DH that is so wonderful you agreed to marry into this situation? His mom would have been a deal breaker for me, let alone the SIL. You've got a lot to deal with there, missy. Best wishes.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

overwhelmed123

I don't even know that I would laugh if I were in your position...more like have an anxiety attack!!  I just can't even imagine having to deal with so much CRAZY, ADIL!

holliberri

Quote from: AnonymousDIL on April 04, 2011, 07:17:20 AM
And that FIL has NO PROOF! Oh, we all about burst out laughing. Boy is she going to be shocked when that video comes out.

I am seriously afraid to ask, but I will anyway. Private investigator?

Pen

So seriously, why did you marry into it? What did you think would change when you became the DIL?
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

AnonymousDIL

Quick "history." Last June, one of MIL's co-workers moved into DH's old room (he was kicked out early for co-worker to move in. He wasn't suppsed to move into the house with me until after the wedding in August). Then it was "recommended" that FIL move out. They are not divorced yet, but are in the process.

I have NO idea WHY DH brought it up. I know he has been holding all this stuff in for a while, so it was probably she was harrassing him and he just exploded. I don't think he should have brought it up because it really isn't our business.

MIL's real issue is control. DH is the first of her kids to get married and move out on his own and she no longer has control over him and she doesn't like that and for that reason she doesn't like me either.

As far as being cut from our lives, I won't do, but she has threatened to cut us off. And if the divorce goes messy, which we are expecting, she is probably going to follow through with that threat.  :-\

Oh, nothing has EVER been taken/borrowed etc. from MIL. I won't allow it. I won't even let DH borrow her steam-cleaner because it will come with strings attached. I don't want to "owe" her anything. I know that there isn't a single thing in my home that could be viewed as "belonging" to MIL or anyone else.  I'm choosing to igonre that lol.

DH is my soulmate. He is perfect for me. He is an amaznig carpenter/mechanic/plumer/electrician, and cleans the house on fridays while I work. Doing the dishes and the laundry. Cooks me a wonderful meal. I am soooo blessed to have him in my life. I wish I were as good a wife to him as he is husband to me.... And the IL's weren't this way until DH proposed. Then... Holey Moley!!!

MIL actually told FIL at the wedding that she was jealous of us and wished her and FIL had a relationship like DH and I.

AnonymousDIL

FIL caught it on video himself because he suspected that she was cheating on him...

It IS a whole lotta crazy! I think that's why it makes me laugh, beacuse some of this stuff you think only happens in sitcoms.... That and maybe lack of sleep lol

lancaster lady

Never a dull moment ...good job you can laugh , otherwise you would cry or go crazy , or both !!
also you married him ...not his family .

Faithlooksup

Oh My Gosh~~You did have a very eventful weekend and I am giving you a stand ovation!!!  Such Drama!!!  I have to be honest and say I did find myself laughing at a lot of this with you...Unbelieveable......

Good for you not taking all of this to heart and letting it get the Best of you....You've got one up on all of them---your sence of humor and not living with rose colored glasses on..... ;)

Keep up the good work!!!  Faith

luise.volta

Move...far away. Where you can laugh at healthy stuff.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

I'm glad you are able to laugh it off, because I have to admit, if my SIL was accusing me and DH of stealing, and I could hear it being said, I would have been hard-pressed not to confront her right there.

You're a bigger person than me.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: Pooh on April 04, 2011, 12:09:34 PM
I'm glad you are able to laugh it off, because I have to admit, if my SIL was accusing me and DH of stealing, and I could hear it being said, I would have been hard-pressed not to confront her right there.

You're a bigger person than me.

I was thinking about emailing her for a list of items she thinks we supposedly stole.

I don't have any "proof" but some items went missing from our house around the time of the wedding that I actually suspect SIL ran off with. Since the "broke into" our house that day. Somehow, I don't know how, MIL/SIL/SIL'sBF/SIL'sBFF/BIL2 got ahold of our spare key on the wedding day. I was LIVID that people were in my house without my permission or knowledge. And in my bedroom. They were trying to be "sweet," but there is just something disturbing about MIL putting KY gel in your bedroom.

But, I don't have any proof. So I will just assume that I must have somehow misplaced these items... Maybe I was sleep walking LOL

elsieshaye

Quote from: AnonymousDIL on April 04, 2011, 12:49:53 PM
They were trying to be "sweet," but there is just something disturbing about MIL putting KY gel in your bedroom.

EEEEEEWWWWWW!!!!!  Eeeewwweeeeewwwweeeewwwww!!!!   :o :o :o
This too shall pass.  All is well.

LaurieS

I'm sure the KY was meant as a gag gift and nothing more ... it sounds to me like lines have been drawn and everyone has their place instead of everyone stepping back from this situation.  Adil, honestly ask yourself.. if this was my marriage, would I want the family to take sides.