April 18, 2024, 04:25:18 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

My weekend... Good for a laugh

Started by AnonymousDIL, April 04, 2011, 07:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

As soon as I hit post, it hit me that I wanted to ask Pen something.  Forgive me Pen if we have covered this before, but I can't remember. 

Has your DIL changed completely when with your DS as well?  Has her personality completely changed, or just where you guys are concerned?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

holliberri

Ah, okay, then, I needed that to be straight.

Klingon isn't a nice term in Philly, as I recall. I have no idea why, though. I think it has something to do with Klingon behavior or groupthink or something. But, you would know that better than I would.

I shall go back to my corner and continue starving now.  :)

And, I do try to use "indubitably" when I can too.

overwhelmed123

Gotta go tap MAC...what the...I am so lost.  How in the world did that get started?

Holli...eat some green beans with almonds!  Mmm, that is one of my faves!  I live low carb.

AnonymousDIL

"Klingon" would indubitably be used with negative connotations because they are known for having horrible tempers. They are downright loathesome, not at all avuncular....... But Honor is extremely important to them.... lol

Pooh

Ok, now I have to go back to my corner...cause I had to google "avuncular".
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

holliberri

Gotta tap Mac.

I do know where that came from!

Pre-year 2000, ATM Machines around here were owned by MAC. (The rest of the country had ATMs ran/owned by STAR).

Now, our ATM machines are all owned/ran by STAR too, but the term MAC still stuck.

Gotta tap Star doesn't sound as catchy, I guess.

Ah...that's where Klingons became associated with Groupthink...their honor. That makes sense now. I shall include it as an analogy in my grad paper about my place of work.

AnonymousDIL

When I was growing up, the one at our bank was a MAC.

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: Pooh on April 05, 2011, 01:07:19 PM
Ok, now I have to go back to my corner...cause I had to google "avuncular".

I always look for an opportunity to use it because it is soooo odd. I don't often need a word for "like an uncle" lol

holliberri

Oh, MACs were around for sure, STAR just beat them out over time. What a pain to be in the banking industry when that happened around here. For whatever reason, we had to reissue new cards that said "STAR" on them to all 6 million members at the Credit Union, even though they could use their MAC card at a STAR machine.

elsieshaye

HB, if someone bothered to correct you about the difference between "trekkie" and "trekker," they were definitely trekkies, lol.  Trekkie is the sometimes slightly derisive term used to describe the kind of people who own a Star Trek costume with accurate insignia and show up for jury duty or grocery shopping wearing it.  Trekkers also own the costume, and the insignia are equally correct, but they wouldn't go out in public wearing it, unless it's to a convention.  I'm a Trekkie, personally, but no costume.  So mostly a Trekkie wannabe, then, unless it counts that I named the directory housing our Quality Action Plan at work "Qapla" (it wouldn't accept the apostrophe - stupid Windows).

The Borg are more groupthink-y (literally), but the Klingons have a more rigid, clannish social structure with very clear ideas of right and wrong, usually involving the shedding of blood (one's own, or other people's).
This too shall pass.  All is well.

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: elsieshaye on April 05, 2011, 01:47:26 PM
HB, if someone bothered to correct you about the difference between "trekkie" and "trekker," they were definitely trekkies, lol.  Trekkie is the sometimes slightly derisive term used to describe the kind of people who own a Star Trek costume with accurate insignia and show up for jury duty or grocery shopping wearing it.  Trekkers also own the costume, and the insignia are equally correct, but they wouldn't go out in public wearing it, unless it's to a convention.  I'm a Trekkie, personally, but no costume.  So mostly a Trekkie wannabe, then, unless it counts that I named the directory housing our Quality Action Plan at work "Qapla" (it wouldn't accept the apostrophe - stupid Windows).

The Borg are more groupthink-y (literally), but the Klingons have a more rigid, clannish social structure with very clear ideas of right and wrong, usually involving the shedding of blood (one's own, or other people's).

Sweet Jesus! I'm a Trekker! I DO own a uniform but I would DIE before I EVER wore it in Public! LOL

holliberri

Oh, my goodness. Borg it will have to be then!

Just how many trekkers/trekkies do we have on this board? LOL.

misunderstood

I'm one, though haven't got a costume.

Pen

If I were a Trekkie I'd be cut off for sure...that would do it.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

LaurieS

and to think I roll my eyes at people who dress up for the Renaissance Festival