April 16, 2024, 08:43:07 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

My weekend... Good for a laugh

Started by AnonymousDIL, April 04, 2011, 07:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

Quote from: Pen on April 05, 2011, 10:45:29 AM
Men need to deal with their FOO issues before proposing marriage. I would run like the wind if a BF was still tied to his mommy. It would only bring misery to be the one blamed for taking him away.

In my situation I feel it was dishonorable for DIL to pretend she liked us, planning all along to make her FOO the main event.

Pen, I have to agree with the girls here.  If my DH had a clinging family, I would have still married him because he is a wonderful person.  Yes, I would have had prior knowledge that his family was going to be hard to deal with, but as long as I saw it was them, and not him....I would marry him in a heartbeat.   You can't pick your family.

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: Pooh on April 05, 2011, 11:11:51 AM
You can't pick your family.

Which is a bummer, although Pooh would be realted to everyone! lol

LaurieS

Actually my dh's family was soooooo traditional, very very straight laced.. my dh was the nut in the family, the bad boy, the everything that I loved.  Besides, people do evolve the family you married into today is probably not going to totally resemble the one that you will see 30 years from now.

overwhelmed123

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: Laurie on April 05, 2011, 11:22:56 AM
Besides, people do evolve the family you married into today is probably not going to totally resemble the one that you will see 30 years from now.

Very true, a whole bunch of them will be dead in 30 years.... Sorry, couldn't resist lol

holliberri

ADil,

Do you take anything seriously? LOL.

AnonymousDIL

Yes, Raquetball.... And Vampire Diaries.......

I've always been like my dad, make a joke to lighten the mood.  :)

I can be serious when I need to be though.  ;)

Pooh

Laughter is the best medicine, in my Xanadu world.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

Are there Klingons there as well?

Pooh

There is now!  If I'm going to accept ADIL as my adopted DIL, I have to except the Klingon part of her as well......live long and prosper.
Joseph Campbell

AnonymousDIL

Well, those are Vulcan words, but..... "Peace and Long Life."

Pooh

Seriously, that's about the extent of my Star Trek knowledge.  Seen all the movies and loved the show growing up...but I don't speak Klingon or Vulcan.  I can say most dirty words in three different languages...does that count?
Joseph Campbell

holliberri

Maybe I'm the only one that is confused, but I started a low carb diet yesterday, so I'll stand corrected if I am. I need some clarification on the Klingon thing, b/c well, it's been an hour and I'm still thinking about it.

Did you think "dishonorable" was a good term to use for someone that behaves one way towards a set of parents and then after a wedding immediately behaves another way? Is that what you loved about it? I think it's a good term to use for Pen's situation.

I'm honestly asking b/c I think that sentence could be taken one of two ways, and I do get a tad overanalytical when I'm hungry. I got myself in trouble with the "love" word on here recently, and I'm no trekkie (a star trekkie told me the correct term was trekker once?), so I don't see the analogy. I'd really like feedback, especially b/c "LOVE" tends to be used as a sarcastic punchline around Philly. But, we also say jimmies and "gotta go tap MAC" when we go withdraw cash from an ATM, so maybe it is just me.  :)

Pooh

I must have missed the whole "love" thing. 

I think dishonorable was a very good word for Pen's situation.  I can't claim that my DIL presented herself in a different light while they were dating and engaged.  She has been the same through everything.  But Pen's DIL pretended to be someone she wasn't.
Joseph Campbell

AnonymousDIL

Holli, I honestly didn't really analyze it's use by Pen. I'm just a mega-nerd who loves words lol.. some of my other favorites are "indubitably," "avuncular," and "loathesome." I really just think the word "dishonarable" is cool and can't be used very often. lol