April 25, 2024, 06:24:00 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

TEXT MESSAGE

Started by irenic, March 28, 2011, 06:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holliberri

I think you need to stay as calm and as positive about this, with as little expectation as possible.

If you find yourself thinking the worst, do anything to get your mind off of it and set yourself up a reward system. in my experience, too many negative assumptions make me pushy and I do things I regret.

Tara

Thats a good point Holliberry, I think too many negative expectations creates an inner annoyance and anxiety in me and maybe
makes pushy at times  too.  One thing I learned from coaching is to set aside 5 minutes a day to think about dil and or adult children and then to put it aside and take care of myself, that this kind of compartmentalization is essential to mental health and also having a
positive experience with our family member when we do connect.

Lori

I am new and so interested to find this sight at random. I can only wish you the best.

luise.volta

Welcome: No one ever wanders in here by accident.  :) Sending love,,,
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

LaurieS

Quote from: Lori on March 30, 2011, 09:37:28 PM

I am new and so interested to find this sight at random. I can only wish you the best.
Welcome.. there can never be enough Lori/Laurie's

Nana

When I camme across this site, I did not have mil/dil problems anymore.  But I have had very intense ones.  I was interested to find answers for all that had happened..   And ithas been a year since then....and here I feel and I am in my second home and safe.   

We have a lot of wise women starting with our dear Luise.  We have a group of ladies that get silly and have me laughing all the time due to what they post.   We have very sweet supportive ladies who are always cheering you up and giving the best advice due to their experiences.

Hope to see you often here and contributing with your advice.

Love 

Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

Kennedy

Quote from: Nana on March 31, 2011, 12:53:57 AM
When I camme across this site, I did not have mil/dil problems anymore.  But I have had very intense ones.  I was interested to find answers for all that had happened..   And ithas been a year since then....and here I feel and I am in my second home and safe.   

We have a lot of wise women starting with our dear Luise.  We have a group of ladies that get silly and have me laughing all the time due to what they post.   We have very sweet supportive ladies who are always cheering you up and giving the best advice due to their experiences.

Hope to see you often here and contributing with your advice.

Love

That is where I'm at right now Nana.
Although many wars have been fought on our home front! All is calm now and has been for awhile. " Thank you Jesus!"
Reading here and seeing there is so much more I can learn! There is so many nice women here! I look forward to getting to know each of you better.

Nana

Yes Kennedy...we learn every day.  That makes us better.  We also learn to appreciate what we have and to try to avoid pitfalls.   I check in every day.  Sometimes I post sometimes I dont.... But I do try to read all the posts. 

So glad to have you here with us.

Love
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

irenic

Well no word from my daughter this weekend, she set me up again it appears.  I had my heart set on meeting and talking,
had bought the kids easter baskets, made her jewelry, made her her favorite color apron with lace on it, got the kids
outfits to give her, had all my mother's things ready for her to take with her and no word, broken heart again,
how could I be so stupid?

luise.volta

Hope isn't easy to extinguish. But the truth is you can't place any trust in her at this time. I'm so sorry. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

lancaster lady

Irenic:
Did she set up a place and time ?
Maybe she was waiting for a return text from you , trying to be positive for you ..
As usual they never realise that whats a little thing for them , means an awful lot for us ... :(

LaurieS

Quote from: irenic on April 03, 2011, 10:04:25 AM
Well no word from my daughter this weekend, she set me up again it appears.  I had my heart set on meeting and talking,
had bought the kids easter baskets, made her jewelry, made her her favorite color apron with lace on it, got the kids
outfits to give her, had all my mother's things ready for her to take with her and no word, broken heart again,
how could I be so stupid?

Sorry that you did not hear from her.. but seriously, why not pick up the phone and call her.. see if her schedule is open for next weekend.. and the gifts.. while nice this could be part of the issue she has with you.. I really do not know, but I'm saying that it might be easier for you two to relate to each other without the 'gifts' ... her favorite color, outfits, your mother's things.  Why not just try to meet and let the time together be the gift this time.

jill

Hi Irenic,
So sorry you did not hear from your dd, I know you were looking forward to it.  I know how it feels to be kicked in the stomach again.  I agree with Laurie, maybe something came up and she is unable to make this weekend.  If she is full of excuses or says she does not want to see you, I would leave the ball in her court, and not contact her again .................Jill

Pen

Irenic, I'm so sorry. Please do something nice for yourself, and for someone who will appreciate it. I hope your DD comes around soon...
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

So sorry Irenic.  Yes, something could have come up, but she should have let you know something.  That was hurtful.  I do also think with the situation with her, you shouldn't bring any gifts or things along if you do get together.  I know you have good intentions, but she needs to learn that seeing you, doesn't equate to gifts.  Frankly, she hasn't done anything right now to warrant receiving anything from you but the visit.  Don't reward bad behavior.

I do hope it works out with her, but I would leave it up to her at this point.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell