April 18, 2024, 11:32:56 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

TEXT MESSAGE

Started by irenic, March 28, 2011, 06:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irenic

Hello All, after a long weekend getaway, I had sent a card to my daughter and wrote a poem that I included.
To My Daughter
I'm so sorry, I spoke before I thought,
Being cruel isn't something I was taught.

You have always been a joy, a delight
So being sorry for my actions and my words I hope will
begin to make things right.

I find my heart aching, I can't sleep anymore
I want to scream to the top of my lungs....

I'm sorry for the hurt that was done.
We had many good years, we were there
for each other in so many ways

I gave birth to you, that was my ultimate joy in life
and now I have caused you so much strife.

Please find a piece of you to remember all the good
I will spend the rest of my life being the mother I should.

It isn't easy not being able to see all of you,
Please, Please, my daughter, tell me what I can do.

I will forever pray that we will be able to see
each other again, share the good and the bad
Its horrible, always being so sad.

I know that I caused it, I know I am to blame
But truly today I am not the same.

I will wait forever to hear your voice again,
Time may heal, I guess I won't know when.

I love you deeply, and I promise to be there in a
positive way
Hope that this card and poem makes it to you and you will read
what I say.

I could name a million things we did that was so
much fun, I hope that you forgive even though the words
can't be undone.

I love you as big as the mountains, and as wide as the sea,
Please give Mom another chance to be the best I can be.

Well today she sent me a text saying it was her (a different number) asking to meet and go for lunch.  I am stunned, I truly thought I would never
hear from her again.  I just couldn't give up on her.  I realized I just could change me
and love her in spite of all that was said, and take ownership for my own behaviors.

What do you guys think>

holliberri

If I had to guess, she sees the effort you made. Just a guess though. Not that you were making an effort before, but poems have a unique and genuine approach. Poetry touches people sometimes. I *hope* that is the case here.

That was pretty creative, Irenic.  :)

Baby steps. Baby steps.  Best of luck to you.

I do like you're apology in the poem, it's genuine, and real, and simple. Those are the best kind, I think. (Whether you did anything wrong or not..."sorry" goes such a long way, sometimes) You took responsibility for your part in things. That's tough to do and beautiful all the same. I'll bet that is why she texted you back. Seriously, good luck. I hope for the best outcome possible. 

LaurieS

Good thoughts are with you... love for your child is something that should never be given up on...  I'll have to agree with Holli.. very very creative on your part.. and very heartfelt.. I found your message to your daughter to be quite touching.

luise.volta

My take is the the door is open. But...be careful of her unpredictability and your heart, Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

jill

Hi Irenic,
That is a lovely poem.  I hope it helps heal the rift with your daughter. It does sound though that you are taking 100 per cent of the blame, I know from your previous posts she has treated you badly................................Jill

lancaster lady

Irenic :

It only takes one to start building the bridge ....I wish you heartfelt luck with your meeting .... :)

Nana

Irenic

I liked your poem.  The way you acknowledge the things you have not done right, shows humbleness and unconditional love.  It is written from your heart and you touched her heart.  I am so happy for you.  Things will certainly start to fall into place.   Just start rebuilding... it might be a good beginning but have to work hard in your relationship.

The best for you always

Love
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

overwhelmed123

What great news, irenic!  I see the happy ending in the future!  We'll be thinking about you!

Pooh

Good luck Irenic.  It was a very lovely poem and I truly hope she appreciates your efforts.  I too remember how hateful she has been to you, and I hope this truly opens the door for her to be able to step up and take responsibility for her her actions too.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

Irenic.. weren't you suppose to be at a meeting with you daughter on the 26th?.. going by memory here so I could be off on my dates... how did that meeting go.. I'm hoping well enough that you felt comfortable sending her this note.  Once again I thought it was wonderfully written, I hope she accepted all the words you were offering.. keep us in touch

irenic

No we work for the same agency, I went out of town and did not go to the meeting, but sent the card to her before
I left town.

She has said she wants to meet th is weekend, we will see.
Thanks all, I love writing it is a way for me to vent often.

Tara

Irenic,

You took a risk!  I hope for a nice visit with you and your dd.  I also agree with Luise to go easy, baby steps.  Keep expectations
in check but hey this is GREAT news.

Tara

irenic

Thanks Tara, so far no word from her, hope she isn't just setting me up for a fall.

Tara

Its still a little was to the weekend.  Keep the faith.  She is showing she has an interest in relating to you and this
is progress.

LaurieS

Quote from: irenic on March 30, 2011, 09:07:50 AM
Thanks Tara, so far no word from her, hope she isn't just setting me up for a fall.

Gotta think more positively then that Irenic ... no matter what  she is saying, she is taking the time to speak with you about it, be thankful for that.