March 28, 2024, 11:00:42 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

It's Spring

Started by LaurieS, March 20, 2011, 07:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieS

We celebrated the arrival of Spring with a yard clean up and some new plants.  I decided that I love agaves and I think I've gone agave and yucca crazy.  We went to the rock yard.. now this is insane for those of you who live in rocky areas... I spent 1000.00 on rocks yesterday.. lol.. by time I was done I had to scale back on the plants.  I still have rooms that need furniture.. but I have rocks  woo hoo ... I should be shot for spending that and actually I never would have but dh realized that the only way he was going to get the rocks he wanted was to let me get the rocks I needed for my front bed.

Now I need to know if anyone has ever tried this... I was told that the commercial weed barrier is very bad for the agave and I decided to lay down a barrier of newspaper and place mulch over that.. anyone ever try this?

Tara

Hi Laurie,

Happy first day of spring.  Your husband is a smart guy! 
I love rocks and they are very expensive.

I was wondering if by weed barrier you mean the black material you put down?

Maybe you can send us photos.

LaurieS

Hi Tara.. it's good to love rocks.. but really that much?  Yes the weed barrier is the black mesh..  I ended up at a place called Cactus King yesterday.. It was run by some old hippie and was kinda fun to wander around in... I should have written down the names of all the plants I was picking out because by time I got home of course I couldn't remember them.. but we had a great day out and about... since dh was being so generous I even let him pick where he wanted lunch (Jason's Deli - not my favorite) ... I didn't even complain when he needed to stop at both Lowe's and Home Depot.. our homes away from home.

Tara

sounds like alot of creative enjoyment!

In oregon you can get a permit and got out in more rural areas and pick up rocks but who can lift them???

I've seem some beauties on the side of the road lately...

send us photos!

LaurieS

when I get them placed I will take some pictures.  The largest is 2,600 pounds ... lol.. it's not the worlds biggest but when they charge by the pound it seemed as if I was bringing home the whole mountain.

Tara

OMG,  thats a heavy and expensive rock!!!! 8) 8) 8)

holliberri

I really thought you spent a grand on river rock.

2600 lbs = boulders to me.

I forgot you were talking about big rocks.

Scoop

Huh - we still have a couple of feet worth of snow on our lawn!  I can't even think of yardwork for a good month!

As for newspapers, wouldn't that act like wet leaves and just attract more bugs (scorpions?  do you have scorpions?).  Here it would be a haven for earwigs.  <shudder>

As for the rocks, just be sure to be there when they deliver them.  My MIL bought a big rock for their front yard, and the crew tore up her lawn bringing it in and they had to come back and move it, because they didn't place it where she wanted it.

Pen

Quote from: Laurie on March 20, 2011, 07:16:55 PM
.... We went to the rock yard.. now this is insane for those of you who live in rocky areas... I spent 1000.00 on rocks yesterday.. lol.. by time I was done I had to scale back on the plants.  I still have rooms that need furniture.. but I have rocks  woo hoo ... I should be shot for spending that and actually I never would have but dh realized that the only way he was going to get the rocks he wanted was to let me get the rocks I needed for my front bed.

I think I just found a way to augment my meager retirement when the time comes...sell rocks! I've got 'em, but they're covered in snow this morning.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

LaurieS

Pen.. really people down here are nuts for rocks :)  I'm proof.

I hear you Scoop.. My dh will take a day off of work if need be to make sure that we both agree on the placement ... it's not suppose to rain this week so if I keep the yard a little dry it should be able to handle the machinery

So how long does snow stay on the ground up there?  I could not imagine having to wait till June to celebrate spring :)  by June I'm going to be sweating and swimming.

Scoop

Well, it's snowing again this morning, but it shouldn't stick around.

We'll have the remaining, very dirty, snow for another week or two.  Our high temperature of the day is still forecast at just above freezing for the rest of the week.

But, we'll be sweating and swimming in June too!  I think that because the summer is so short, we use every last bit of it.  Our un-official beginning of summer is Victoria day weekend (the weekend before your Memorial Day) and the kids WILL go swimming.

LaurieS

Some of the rocks.. the things we Texans do for fun

LaurieS

Oh PS...if you click on the picture a larger one will pop up

Pen

Seriously, they look very similar to my rocks. Mine even have the lichen all over. I'm sitting on $$$. Of course, by the time I loaded and trucked all the way to Texas where the crazy people who buy rocks are, I'd eat up my profit.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

LaurieS

They probably came from your neighborhood Pen... I paid .08 a pound... did not realize that you do not pay sales tax on rocks

I hope you are doing massive landscaping with the rock you have... but I'm willing to bet that if they were abundant I probably wouldn't be so excited about them... the trick was finding someone who can set them.. but I did, now just trying to schedule a time