March 28, 2024, 04:25:08 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Earthquake in Japan

Started by lancaster lady, March 11, 2011, 01:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancaster lady

Devastating news for all those in Japan ...
Horrific pictures coming through this morning .
I hope all those in the US are not affected by a possible Tsunami on the west coast .
So sad for all those affected .... :(

Pooh

My thoughts and prayers to all those in Japan and those here in the US that could possibly be affected.  I have been watching it this morning too, it's terrible.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

FAFE

I am trying to find out if my DIL's parents are ok.  I'm not good with the geography of Japan, but I do know they live 3 blocks from the ocean.

Rose799

I hope your area is safe, Luise...thinking of you~

luise.volta

We are on salt water...a bay on Puget Sound (which is on the Pacific) but we are up on a bluff and safe. As far as I know, the tidal waves haven't hit yet. Sandy, Kirk's partner is in their home on Kauai (water level) but they are on the East side of the Island. What a horror all of this is. Sending love to everyone affected...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pen

Laurie, is your DS and his GF & her family OK?
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

Yes Pen, I am worried about them too.  I'm not sure geography-wise, where they are at in Hawaii.  Glad you and Tara are safe Luise, and your DIL.  Was thinking about all of you this morning.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

My post went poof

Pen.. thanks for asking about them.. yes they are fine, they are on the  mid west side of the island and Tokyo is on the northern east coast.. My son credits the reduced loss of life from the quake to Japan's proactive nature and building codes.. Water is hard to fight.

I haven't heard from my other son but I've seen no mention of the Philipeans being affected.

Pooh

Good news Laurie, and glad they are ok.
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Here is what Kirk wrote: Thanks for checking in. I just talked to Sandy and all is well on Kauai. Max surge was 7 feet, so no damage on our island.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Rose799

Quote from: luise.volta on March 11, 2011, 09:26:37 AM
Here is what Kirk wrote: Thanks for checking in. I just talked to Sandy and all is well on Kauai. Max surge was 7 feet, so no damage on our island.

Good to know, I'm glad everyone is safe, yours included, Laurie...

Pen

Yup, good news. Glad to hear Sandy is OK as well.

It's hard to look at the footage; my thoughts are with all affected. The west coast of the US is getting some mild effects, but no real problems. NZ & the Phillipines were taken off the watch list earlier. NZ certainly doesn't need any more disasters right now.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

LaurieS

I know that Japan came back stronger yet after past horrific devastation, but as I watch the news the destruction seems to almost be endless, it's so sad, those people woke to hell on earth... they will be fighting for mere survival within the week. 

FAFE

Good news here.  DIL's parents live south of Tokyo - they did fill it and some mild flooding about a mile from their house.  No damage to their house either.  We are relieved.  Hope everyone else is out of harm's way.