March 28, 2024, 09:33:26 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Earthquake in Japan

Started by lancaster lady, March 11, 2011, 01:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

Quote from: luise.volta on March 18, 2011, 12:51:37 PM
i donate to Doctors without Borders since they won the Nobel Peace Prize.

www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

I love them!  Great idea Luise.  Oh, and I heard on the news this morning, that many organizations are trying to get in and help but are not being allowed.  I do understand that in the 50 mile radius surrounding the nuclear plants, but it is sad.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Tara

Pooh,

Good idea about those water purification pills, I have a good filter from my trip to india, but I think I will get some pills this weekend for water, as water  is one of the most essential things.

I'd feel a little silly if nothing happened and I was all stocked up but as Pen said better to be the fool who prepared than
the fool who didn't!.

Also, I went to fill up my gas tank this am and couldn't as I planned to use my gas credit card and didn't have enough cash
as I wasn't planning to need it.  It makes me realize dh and I need to have more emergency cash on hand.

luise.volta

Let's hope nothing happens no matter how foolish we feel. I agree!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

LaurieS

Whether it's a radioactive fumes, earthquakes, or hurricanes.. they can all change our lives in a heartbeat.  I was in the grocery store today and almost felt guilty that I was buying not just staples but luxury items.  I just don't understand how supplies can not get to the people who really need them.. even if by air drops.

New tsunami footage was released today and it was horribly frightening.. I haven't  been able to figure out if the destroyed villages are within the 50 mile range of Fukushima and the nuclear stations.

Pen

Am I understanding correctly that they were able to get power to one of the sites and can now run a pump again? I read that on an NZ website last night www.stuff.co.nz

I'm not sure I want to go full-on bunker mentality, but some basic earthquake preparedness stuff is something we should have if we're near a faultline. I must admit I am thinking about the plastic sheeting and duct tape. DH would be ROTFLHAO if I came home with a carload of visqueen.

I always try to keep my gas tanks filled, but the car preparedness kits got lost years ago. I think the kids ate the granola bars after sports practice one day & for sure they outgrew the extra clothes. The spare cash got used to pay for some school thing or another and the water bottles needed replacing. It's time to restock.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

holliberri

I think you're right, Pen, that's what I was listening to on NPR this morning...that is if I even understood it correctly; this is all way over my head. I *thought* it sounded a little less dire than it has in previous days, although still terrible.

Plastic sheeting and duct tape are helpful for so many things. I was in a tornado in Texas and duct tape kept the glass from shattering...it still broke, but it didn't shatter, made clean up easier...then we needed that plastic sheeting immediately after.  Plus, if your heat goes out, hanging plastic sheeting over the windows does help for some insulation (we were without power for a week in 93, plastic sheeting and candles were life savers). Plus, visqueen works great for those home projects I tend to get myself into when I get the urge to paint.

Tara

Holliberry,  what is  visqueen?

holliberri

It's just polyethylene (sp.?) sheeting. You know the long rolls of plastic? I throw it down to paint, and I did put it up during a high wind episode at my dads last year.

Oh! I also needed it when my ex boyfriend had a brick thrown through his back window. He didn't have money for a window for 2 weeks in January, so we used the sheeting and ducttape to keep the weather out and the warmth in.

I haven't used much of it in 10 years or so, but it has come in handy; and always when I least expect it.

Tara

Thanks Holliberry,

I think we need to stock up on a few more things this weekend.

Tara

Hi WW,

I'm attaching a link to an article sent by a friend you may find of interest.  Some of it is scientific
at the end there are some recommendations.

all the best

Tara

http://doctorapsley.com/RadiationTherapy.aspx

Tara

Hello again WW,

I'm attaching a link to a great website called Consumer Labs.  They test vitamins, herbs and supplements and tell the
public about toxicity problems, products not being the proper doses, etc.  I subscribe to it and  this info just arrived
today about radioactive protective supplements.  I trust these folks.  I haven't read it but will soon.  (I already take
iodine prescribed by my nurse practitioner as I have a thyroid disorder.) but wanted to share this with you now
as there is alot of interest in these kinds of supplements right now (for better or worse?  I'm not very knowledgeable)

https://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/Potassium_Iodide_KI_and_Potassium_Iodate_KIO3_Radioprotective_Agents/PotassiumIodide/

lancaster lady

I have just read there is a floating island of debris the size of the UK , from Japan , floating towards the US west coast .
hope my US friends are going to be ok ....!

LaurieS

The floating debris is an aspect of the tsunami that I'll bet few have thought about.