March 28, 2024, 02:54:03 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Conflict on WWU

Started by luise.volta, April 13, 2011, 07:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

Well, this has been very helpful. Thank you! I think it may be wise to refer newbies to this thread and ask them to read it all the way through, carefully, when they first post. And please, anyone who sees things going South on a thread...refer those on it to this thread for a second look at their presentation. As we increase in size, I need more help. You could even say..."Wanna take another look at 'Conflict on WWU' in Grab Bag before you go in this direction?" Or someting similar.   

I get behind. This last week since my dogie's death, I am again buried with questions on MomResponds.com. I feel like the one-armed paperhanger...with that arm in a sling sometimes.

You are a truly marvelous and divergent family and I love you all, dearly. Thank you again!Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

luise.volta

HB - there is much here that is like conversation and is pretty spontaneous. None of us is going to do it perfectly, or even close.

Kirk is very careful about fictitious accounts. He has a lot of ways to check them out and when I delete a membership...he has ways to catch someone trying to come back in. Not foolproof but pretty effective.

holliberri

It's not like I would every really find out anyway if someone had a fake account. All we have here is trust. Laurie is right. The only thing we can do to make sure this site runs near perfectly for you is to self-monitor. We all use spell check (okay...not me...too impatient) and it would help to use emotion check too.

Many of our debates have been beneficial and have helped us flesh out common ground. They don't always end badly; in fact, the bad ones are rare; and I'm not here solely for frills. I expect head butting once in awhile and if blanket generalizations are made and disguised as opinion, they need to be called into question, b/c in real life, they are only roadblocks and stereotypes that prevent us from seeing a person as just that: a person.

I think discussion boards (even support forums) require a thick skin. We are from all over the world, all different ages and come from very different families and situations; and sometimes things are written that need clarification and critical thinking applied. And sometimes, it is that clarification and critical thinking that gives us an "Ah-ha" moment. We can't be afraid of that. 

I know one synonym for opinionated is stubborn. I'll eat my hat if there is not one of us that has behaved in opinionated/stubborn matter on here when our line of thinking clashes with someone else's (well, there is one person on here that I can think of that hasn't)....We get through it and survive. I've been opinionated on here several times. Probably twice already this week. But,there are a good many times when I'm not opinionated or sturbborn as well.  Taking that for what it is worth would help. 

holliberri

Told ya'll I didn't use spell check.

Tara

Holliberry,

I appreciated what you articulated, didn't think they came across as demands but rather ideas.

Btw, you express yourself in a very interesting, thoughtful and entertaining way.  Thank you.

myree

i go by rules in life .1 be a lady and have manners 2 be kind to everyone you never really know their struggles 3 a sense of humor 4 there is enough hurt and anger in the world without adding to it , so lift someone,s spirits....... Snowflakes are one of natures most fragile things but just at what they create when they stick together :)

Faithlooksup

Myree, I do like what you posted....  I would have to add regarding the "Fictitious Account" statement~~I also hope this has never happened on this forum and if so when and where? ???

holliberri

I suppose it's just one of those things that we'd have an honor policy to never actually do that ourselves. If all of us adhere to that standard, there isn't actually a problem.

And with that, I'm following Pam, Pooh and LL's temporary exit for awhile. I'll be back in a week or two. I'm sure I'll be reading from time to time, but when the conflict on here exceeds the problems in my real  life...my life must be pretty good.

overwhelmed123

Noooo Holli...I come back and you leave!  Boo!

I agree with what the posters above have posted.  I know I can try to put my posts a little more gracefully, but I also think if someone comes in here just wanting pure affirmation and nothing else, they will have a problem with disagreement no matter how delicately it is put.  It's funny, normally Holli and I have the same opinion about things.  I'll post and then she'll post later and her post is so much more delicate than mine.  So maybe I should start waiting for her to post and if I still agree with her, say "yeah, what she said."  LOL.

luise.volta

Well, I seem to have failed. This thread was intended to clarify and reassure...not to lose valued members. I am so sorry. Is it time to shut down WWU? if it has such a negtive impact that it is making peoples lives worse, I apologize. Somehow I seem to have mismanaged the issue. I will contact KIrk.