March 28, 2024, 10:15:05 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

The Dragons Keep

Started by 2tired2fight, March 02, 2011, 04:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: Laurie on March 03, 2011, 04:02:02 PM
Quote from: AnonymousDIL on March 03, 2011, 07:33:18 AM
Although, MIL is probably going to get a pasta pot for Mother's Day. It was the coolest gift we got when we got married and my mom is getting one too! lol
Apparently this is the newest and coolest with younger people.. my dd said that her bf will help cook just to get to use the pasta pot... I was looking at one today in Target, made by calphon or however you spell it.. I have to admit... looked like fun

TARGET!!! Woohoo!!! Someone else had gotten it for us and I didn't know where they got it. Now I know where to look. Thanks, Laurie!

It really is cool. So much easier than pouring it into a collander that tips over and spills your food into the sink. Plus, it is a really BIG pot so it is good for making soups and stuff too.

LaurieS

Quote from: AnonymousDIL on March 04, 2011, 05:26:12 AM
Quote from: Laurie on March 03, 2011, 04:02:02 PM
Quote from: AnonymousDIL on March 03, 2011, 07:33:18 AM
Although, MIL is probably going to get a pasta pot for Mother's Day. It was the coolest gift we got when we got married and my mom is getting one too! lol
Apparently this is the newest and coolest with younger people.. my dd said that her bf will help cook just to get to use the pasta pot... I was looking at one today in Target, made by calphon or however you spell it.. I have to admit... looked like fun

TARGET!!! Woohoo!!! Someone else had gotten it for us and I didn't know where they got it. Now I know where to look. Thanks, Laurie!

It really is cool. So much easier than pouring it into a collander that tips over and spills your food into the sink. Plus, it is a really BIG pot so it is good for making soups and stuff too.

Reply moved to Grab Bag "Neat Gadgets"

luise.volta

Lots of great stuff on this thread. (I have been off with my son, Kirk, having fun.)

My take is that what you are describing is a game called...what? Incompetence? Dependency? The two of you have been playing it. You have stepped away from the board. Good for you. Let the chips fall where they may. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

spacecase1

I could have written your post 2tired!!  I am in the same boat, and have been for the 15 years of marriage.  I think what someone else said is true: "I think you can leave yourself out  of it, and you just have to get used to the fact that they prefer to blame his behavior on you. (I think that's common; it's awfully hard to admit your kid is doing something wrong, so blaming a spouse makes it an easier pill to swallow). "

When my DH forgot his Stepmom's birthday, I recieved a venomous email from his stepsister.  The short of it was I was to blame.  He doesn't like his SM but that is NOT my fault.  That is between them.  Also, he has never NEVER purchase jack S*** for my parents, sister or neices.  So, it is quite a case of lazy.  However, he buys for his brother and father- he likes them.  But not for his mother, SF, SM, SIL, neices and nephew, Aunt or GF.  I usually do all of that.  And you know why?  It is easy for him.  And like I said before, he only likes his brother and dad.  Oh, and they call to thank him and I never hear a word, which shows a great lack of manners on all parts.

Unfortunately, I believe societal standards give the impression that the woman in the relationship does not have the luxury of only liking certain people, or she is label PMS or a filthy name.  It's really not true, as a woman, just as a man, has the right to not like someone too, and why should she have to do something because a "role" is defined for her?  Sounds like the barefoot and pg line to me.

And you know what, we are busy too.  I have a 3yr old, work and am doing a PhD, so why is the idea that I have time to shop for your family while I what, eat bonbons and watch soaps??

Women are usually the peacemkers.  So we find ourleves in a position of doing what is needed to keep peace in the family.  But I believe that role can go to anyone and you have the option to quit.