March 28, 2024, 07:44:43 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Perceptions

Started by Pooh, March 04, 2011, 10:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

I love those photos, cracks me up every time.  I am sure this generation will look back on pictures 30 years from now and go, "What the crap were we thinking?"  Every time I see someone dressed in Goth, or all the piercings on their face, I can't help to think that someday they will look back and go, "OMG!"
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

AnonymousDIL

This is too funny! DH and I had a similar conversation this weekend. He was looking through photos on FB that I had posted. I mean OLD albums from before I met him. I had gone in and deleted all the ones of me and my ex-bf when we broke up, but as a group we went on a camping trip. Well, he is still in some of those. DH saw them. I FELT SOOOOOOOOO BAD! He said he didn't care, but boy did I feel like a schmuck. "We" weren't in any of them, "He" just happened to be in them.

He knows the "ex" is long gone. At one of our "group" campouts, a friend and I burned the photos of our exes from the other trip! lol It was sooooo nice to do lol

LaurieS

Why would you feel badly about having a picture of someone that use to be in your life.  Dh knew that you did not sit in your room your whole life waiting for his entrance (you didn't tell him you did, did you?). My not yet engaged future son-in-law asked about the pictures that I had of my dd with her old high school bf.. it's not like the guy was a butt head and they are still good friends even now.. But BF seriously/jokingly asked if I was going to keep them out.. I said sure every time I look at them I say.. wow but look at the tall masculine hunk she ended up with.. LOL he's ok with it now

holliberri

DH never was allowed to date before he was 18. There are no photos of his high school experiences (dances, games, etc.). I would prefer a photo of him with some scuzzy ex as opposed to no photos of all.  :D

LaurieS

Wow Holli really?  So at the moment that he mentioned his, a little light didn't go off in your head saying.. parents are overly controlling.. parents are overly controlling?

holliberri

Heh...nope. I thought he was just sheltered, but since I met him when he was living far away from them, I assumed he'd outgrown that.

He did date behind their back, but having to tiptoe around meant no photos of special occasions and quite often, special occasions had to be skipped altogether (no one really goes the prom without a date!).

I get the qualms parents have about high school dating, but I hope I get to meet the girlfriends/boyfriends my kids have and take all the silly photos of them in their gowns/tuxes and other fun things. I think my MIL/FIL missed out too.

LaurieS

So what was their problem with high school dating? 

holliberri

Sex and distraction from studies.

DH didn't have sex in high school (so I like to think this wouldn't have been more likely had he been allowed to date) and he was a D average student. He spent 3 out of 4 summers in summer school. I'm not sure distractiont would have hurt him, he was already completely not doing the work to begin with.

He graduated Summa Cum Laude from college btw. High school isn't everything.

luise.volta

There's no formula, right? We're all so unique. I was dating in grade school and neither of my older sisters even dated in high school. They were very serious students. I was, too. I was studying boys!  8)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

I don't think there is a formula either.  I was too busy playing sports to date but I can look back now and wish I had dated more.  I didn't have much to compare too when I met ex-hubby.  And I mean personality, responsibility, how they treated a female....not the other comparison  ;)
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

holliberri

I know we say it's "just high school" but my high school relationships gave me some good real life experiences. And, yes, the comparisons definitely helped me know a keeper when I found one!

LaurieS

I loved dating the little surfer boys .. but knew that this is not what I wanted to do my whole life.. would have been disappointing had I not dated in high school.  High school was very much a part of who I became and how I conducted my life later on... glad I didn't miss it

luise.volta

Right, HB! On another thread is the story of my "reunion" with my high school sweetheart (he lives 2,500 miles away) and how he came here to spend Christmas with me.  :D

luise.volta

Me, too. I loved dances and hay and sleigh rides, beach parties...and our young-people's group at church. I think a lot of who I am surfaced at that time.