March 28, 2024, 04:59:14 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

My Update

Started by willingtohelp, March 02, 2011, 07:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willingtohelp

Hello all,

I started writing an update to Luise and decided to post it here instead since there are new faces who may not know who I am.  I posted back when my DD was younger before I went back to work, and now DD has become more predictable and able to play on her own so I can post again in the little down time I've managed to scrounge. 

So a brief summary of what's happened with the ILs.  In the past, my ILs and I didn't get along.  FIL was attention seeking and had anger issues.  MIL was depressed for a variety of reasons and clingy.  At a visit, they blew up out of no where (literally we're all sitting there silent when they started), cursed us out, shoved past me knocking me down, and stormed away.  That was the final straw and we cut them off.  They eventually decided to get therapy.  Both, from what I understand, are now on antidepressants, FIL has attended anger management classes, and as far as I can tell, they've changed for the better.  We've had a few meetings, and while I doubt we'll have a Cleavers type relationship, I think things will be OK eventually.  They've met DD and love her dearly, and they've been respectful of her as a person and not seen her as a source of attention (FIL) or a drug to make her happy (MIL), which were my two big worries before.  And really, I can take a decent amount, so they're welcome to do what they want to me, but mess with my kid and my mama bear comes out. 

As far as DD goes, she's walking, running, and into everything.  Things I never thought she could get she's managed to get into.  She's figured out two different types of cabinet locks, so we're on our third round of childproofing.  She's talking and singing and very opinionated, and I love it.  She now takes one long afternoon nap and sleeps through the night, so of course DH and I are talking about a second.  Why enjoy the peace when you can have chaos again?  But it's a wonderful chaos.

As far as work goes, it's the same old same old.  DD is doing well in daycare, and even though I'm not nursing anymore, I still go get her for lunch and a snack during the day so I'm not totally detached from her.  I'm lucky to have the job that I have because it allows me to stay close to DD and I love the field I'm in. 

I think that about sums up what's happening with me.  How are you doing? 

Faithlooksup

Hi Clover,   I am glad that the situation with IL's are improving one day at a time, one step at a time....I also applaud your IL's for taking the necessary steps to better themselves by seeking therapy and NOT living in denial, for that it itself says a great deal.....

I am also thrilled that all is going well with your little one, she is certainly at that fun tie it and bolt it down stage and into everything....along with what you dont think of they will, which brings back lots of memories when my two DS's were doing the same...so thanks for the laughter.  Enjoy her each and every minute for they do grow up quickly.....

Wishing you the best of everything...Faith

Pooh

That is wonderful news Clover!  I remember when all the chaos settled down and the talks started about having another.  Good thing we had the OS first, cause if YS had been first, there wouldn't have been any of those talks!  I had a YS that could take anything childproof and prove the manufacturer wrong, so I can sympathize with that too. 

I am so glad you are seeing improvements in your ILs.  And I am so glad they sought help.  But most of all, I want you to know you are a great person and a wonderful wife to give them another chance.  That took courage on your part and I am truly glad that it is working out for you so far.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

March 04, 2011, 10:17:44 PM #3 Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:22:12 PM by luise.volta
Thank you so much! Progress! It's wonderful to catch up with you and to see you here again. I know you have been the one-armed paperhanger.

When our youngest started taking over the lower kitchen cabinets, we tried everything and finally gave up. I put all of my pots and pans down there there and he banged and crashed them together for hours at a time. I kept my canned goods down there, too, and once a week we had a "Kirk Surprise" and opened something that no longer had a label. It made life interesting!  ;D ;D Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

LaurieS

hey  hey hey what is this Luise :)  « Last Edit: Today at 12:22:12 AM by luise.volta »  Come on if we are willing to show our typos you get to do the same .

I know what you mean about the mystery cans... every time the darn school had some pantry fund raiser, such as Campbell soup labels my kids stripped all cans bare.... for the longest time I had a pantry full of unknowns (which by the way a charity food pantry will not accept) or masking taped cans with my handwritten labels...

luise.volta

I'm the big PooBah...(heavy on the poo)...I have Queen's X!  ;D ;D ;D
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama