March 28, 2024, 02:00:53 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Neat Gadgets

Started by LaurieS, March 01, 2011, 03:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tara

Sorry Women,

that skin brush is Olay and not ponds.

Also, Pen, you can go on Amazon and read alot of reviews about it.

Pooh

Thanks Tara.  For that price I think I will try this.  I find that the older I get, the more I am having trouble with little blackheads around my nose and cheeks that are stubborn and don't want to come out with just my normal cleaning routine.

I will tell you something that I saw before this on some website I was on that was talking about a "cheap" facial cleaning system.  The lady said not to spend tons of money on a gadget like this (this was before this came out rather inexpensive and the other ones were around $200).  She purchased an inexpensive electric toothbrush with a soft bristle and was using it.  She said she gave $10 for it at a discount store and that it worked just as well.  Lol.  I was about to try that!  But now, I think I will try this.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

seasage

http://www.amazon.com/Olay-Professional-Advanced-Cleansing-System/dp/B0043OYFKU

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #1 in Beauty

I find this depressing.  How much money are we sending to China?  How much are we polluting our atmosphere to make and ship this product?  How many batteries will end up in landfills? 

I'm going to have to increase my donation to the local homeless shelter again.

And so --- off to work.  At >70, I ought to be retired.  But the crash of 2008 took too much out of my savings.  And after watching Frontline last night, I don't think we are moving towards a healthy economy for my children.

LaurieS

Quote from: seasage on March 02, 2011, 06:18:22 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Olay-Professional-Advanced-Cleansing-System/dp/B0043OYFKU

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #1 in Beauty

I find this depressing.  How much money are we sending to China?  How much are we polluting our atmosphere to make and ship this product?  How many batteries will end up in landfills? 

I'd rather send dollars to China and receive a product then the millions we are spending for the rebuilding of Mosque in Cairo.  If the money  is going to leave here, at least we'll have clean faces :)

Tara

The product is at costco for 30.00 and it comes with a product to use with it.

These days I am mostly using olay regenerist products because I think thats what consumer reports
says is best for wrinkles, but I do have a sunscreen my dermatologist recommended. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer, Dry-touch Sunblock 45.

Does anyone use Retina A?  I have in the past.  She feels her top two 'beauty secrets' are retina A as it also rebuilts collegan
and 1 tsp of the above mentioned sunscreen a day  (thats way too much )

Sorry I don't mean to hijack the neat gadgets discussion.

LaurieS

don't forget that vinegar gives you a nice glow

Tara

Oh Laurie,

I wanted to mention that a friend told me about a drink that you can drink for
detox and good health:

its a combo of h20, apple cider vinegar, cranberry juice w/no sugar, lemon.

I tried it once, it was ok.

Pen

The Olay gadget would be great for my daughter who has trouble getting her face properly cleansed. I think for now I'm going to just use a washcloth and my Borghese skin cleansing products (from Costco, natch.) They make a wonderful cleanser and a mask. Seasage made a good point about the gadget. Who knows, though, my vanity may win out.

I bought the DML Forte that was recommended by Kathleen (I think? Please correct me if I'm mistaken) and so far it seems great! I'd just run out of the Borghese night cream when it arrived.

Tara, the detox drink sounds like just the thing to help us get ready for spring. Laurie will use it to clean her insides and her outsides as well as her house.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

LaurieS

You're right Pen.. it may server more purposes then any one originally realized :)

My future-not-yet-engaged-son-in-law.. .who by the way has been trying out the Mom word on me.. was upset over his hands getting so torn up when he was having to work on the cold wet nights... needless to say I gave him my new container of DML Forte... I really liked that for my arms, legs, knees, elbows but I felt it was to heavy for day use.. but they have another product that is lighter and made just for your face with sunscreen that I'm ordering ... he liked it because he said that he still felt 'manly' after applying it :)  I think that was his way of saying that it was fragrance free.

Pooh

My DH has been sneaking and using mine too.  Caught him the other night! Lol.  I do like it very much, and it is a little heavy for the day, but I have learned to use just a tiny bit in the morning and then really soak my face with it at night.  I started using the mineral powder foundation about a year ago, and I love it, but it is dry so wasn't looking real good with my dry skin the last few months.  It has worked wonderful on all my dry fish scales, so my mineral makeup looks wonderful again and I am not getting my adult chin acne....double bonus!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Faithlooksup

Quote from: Laurie on March 01, 2011, 03:30:32 PM
I'm such a sucker for neat little gadgets.... so is Holli, ask her about her zester :)   I just order something that I hadn't seen before.. kinda cool
http://www.chiasso.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=50163
This is indeed a cute little gadget--however unfortunately the kleenex would end up getting dusty and wet in my bathroom.

LaurieS

I think I'll use this on tissues in my family room.. we'll have to remember to sneeze on a regular basis to prevent the dust from settling

Pen

Quote from: Tara on March 02, 2011, 08:52:13 AM
Does anyone use Retina A?  I have in the past.  She feels her top two 'beauty secrets' are retina A as it also rebuilts collegan
and 1 tsp of the above mentioned sunscreen a day  (thats way too much )

Tara, I was given prescription strength Retin-A by my dermatologist and used it for a month or two. It probably is amazing but I couldn't remember to wear a hat whenever I went outside (even walking to and from the car, even on overcast days) and I didn't like the way my peeling skin looked. Nothing I tried would keep the flakes from showing. Since I'm in front of a very critical group of people daily it just didn't work for me. When I retire I might give it another try.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Tara

Pen, yes, that seems to be what I remember in the past.

I wonder if using it every 3rd day or something it  might help but not be so unappealing

I do think that the skin brush works nicely to exfoliate but as my dermatologist says, its only skin deep.

LaurieS

Quote from: AnonymousDIL on March 04, 2011, 05:26:12 AM
Quote from: Laurie on March 03, 2011, 04:02:02 PM
Quote from: AnonymousDIL on March 03, 2011, 07:33:18 AM
Although, MIL is probably going to get a pasta pot for Mother's Day. It was the coolest gift we got when we got married and my mom is getting one too! lol
Apparently this is the newest and coolest with younger people.. my dd said that her bf will help cook just to get to use the pasta pot... I was looking at one today in Target, made by calphon or however you spell it.. I have to admit... looked like fun

When we were building our house, I was touring a lot of these home show places.. Anywho (as someone would say) this one place had a built in pasta pot.. it was the coolest thing I ever saw.... the facet was right there so there was no lugging water.. you had a variety of pots, so you could boil, steam, stew.. and then when you were done it had it's own drain for the boiling water and a nice looking cover for when you were not using it.  I would have owned that puppy had I known about it before the concrete because I would have a water source in my island.. which I don't.. bummer huh.