March 28, 2024, 11:37:47 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Things I naturally Do

Started by Pooh, March 02, 2011, 12:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

Ha Luise!  I haven't either (heroine) and I can't gamble big money.  All I can think of when putting that down is, "House payment, car payment, electric bill..."  But I do love me some penny slots.  Of course I look like a big stupid when I play because I can't resist pulling the handle although it's got all the electronic buttons now.  And I miss the noise of the coins falling into the tray.  But I only get to do it a couple of times a year, and I set myself on a limit, and once that's gone...it's gone.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

I have an addictive bent...so learned long ago that if sugar could take me down, other things were probably standing in line.  :o  ;D
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Nana

Me too Pooh....once is gone....I go for more...hihi (chasing my loses).  That is why I not go that often anymore.  I rather spent my money on my babies (gk).

Love
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

overwhelmed123

Well Pooh, just so you know, I don't think you should have to work on ANY of those except MAYBE the unsolicited advice.  None of those are slights against anyone, and if they take it that way then it's THEIR problem to fix, not yours.  You're a polite, thoughtful person.  You ask if someone needs help, and you are generous and giving.  Why in the heck should you have to work on those things?  I hope you don't change that because one person is determined to take it the wrong way.

luise.volta

My eldest son nailed me on the unsolicited advice and my younger son thinks it's priceless. Go figure!  ???
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

Thanks OW.  I have been working on that one, because it just kind of blurts out of me before I think.  I have always been a very logical thinker when it comes to an issue, and I am good at taking the emotion out of it.  I do this at work, my own life, etc.  So I have many co-workers, friends and family that come to me and tell me things, asking, "What would you do?".  People tell me that they like to talk to me because I will tell them the good and the bad, and because I can take the emotion out of it.  I am a firm believer that emotion makes us who we are, but also that emotions clutter up an issue 99% of the time.  So I think over time, I have just got used to injecting my "two cents". 

Not saying that's right, actually it's totally wrong, but now I am trying to break that habit.  And when I am trying to break a bad habit, I always start by looking at why I do it.  It's not an excuse, just a "how did I get here?" thing with me.  I have to recognize why I do it, so I can work on not doing it.
Joseph Campbell

FAFE

DH and I were talking about our SIL last night.  He is not the one I would have picked out, but he has certainly turned into the one person that I know is the one for her!  She was such a picky eater all her life.  He likes to cook, so has gotten her to eat lots and lots of foods that never would have otherwise.  There are some things that she will not eat at all though.  Whenever I make soups, I generally save him a bowl and send it to him whenever she/they are over.  His biggest compliments are wanting the recipes so he can makethem also.

So, sharing food is a way to bond with him.  I am glad he is my SIL.  Also, he is the father of my granddaughter and he loves both of his girls.   

holliberri

Isn't that so nice that he naturally helps bring her more out of her shell? I love hearing things like that, FAFE.

Pooh

There Holli....I changed my tagline just for you!  Ba ha ha...... 8)
Joseph Campbell

holliberri

LOL. That was also in reference to the "puppies" post.

Seriously, I believe the meaningless conversation is the glue that holds this place together (along with Luise and Kirk  :) ), and that it says volumes about us that we can chit chat about something other than our problems. That, and, I never really thought it was meaningless.

Laurie has me cleaning from top to bottom with vinegar now, I'm going to start calling you Dr. Pooh for your simple but near universal marriage tips, and Luise has me writing in 72 font letters (to be deleted) when I'm upset. I can't even think of all the things ladies have mentioned that I've tried out and liked...and I think I've only been here since the new year.

Pooh

Oh I got it as soon as I saw it...lol.  If we only concentrated on our issues and problems, this would be a sad place.  I love the laughter and household advice mixed in with the issues.  It helps me remember that life goes on, and we are blessed with many things besides our issues. 

I get much from this forum, that has nothing to do with issues.
Joseph Campbell

Nana

I also like when you guys start with your "meaningless" conversations giving a turning point to our emotional issues.  You make me Laugh.... sometimes we need laughter and forget about all that is hurting us.   We women are awesome haha.

Love you all...even dils (hi hi...just joking)....I have learned a lot from dils as well and I love them.  I have even wish some where my dils. 
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

L

I thought your list was full of very good manners...the only one I thought I didn't agree with is if it's a childs birthday then that should be the only person getting a present.  That's nice you are so giving, but I can see how that might even make others uncomfortable who ONLY brought birthday girl or boy something.  Also, as far as the quilt I don't think it is wrong you give it to the niece but I would never mention it to the DIL because I could see how she may feel slighted...if you do feel she was upset about it maybe give her another family heirloom or something special that you wouldn't mind her having.  :)   

holliberri

But we all do things naturally for one reason or another, and it's not exactly to make people feel slighted or make others uncomfortable. We're just being us. We can't make everyone happy 100% of the time. I think the point of Pooh's post was to step outside of herself and just see why someone else might be bothered by something she did. I know that's at least what I felt encouraged to do in my post. But still, I think it proves that just because we do something, we're not trying to hurt other people, it is just who we are. It also got me thinking about my feelings about others' behavior; not everythign is personal, they aren't trying to slight me, they just are who they are.