March 28, 2024, 06:59:38 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

My Girlfriend Called Today

Started by LaurieS, February 23, 2011, 07:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieS

A really close friend called today almost in tears.  I thought of course that something happened to one of her kids, grandkids, or possibly even her dog.... nope.. her husband came  home and announced that he just retired.  No notice.. no mentally working into it slowly... trying to adjust to suddenly having someone home 24/7.  She said that the first day he asked her what she was cooking for lunch.. she announced that she had not cooked lunch in 20 years and she wasn't starting now.

It got me thinking... how do you adjust... I mean I'd love to have my dh home more but... not full time.  I told my husband that Home Depot tool isle could be calling his name. 

So has anyone here faced retirement and the adjustment?   

luise.volta

I was single when I retired at age 60 and became a full-time RVer, so I didn't have any such issues. At 62, when Val and I married...we continued to be RVers for the next five years and we just split the work. I did all the driving and RV parking, leveling and hook ups and he got the meals and walked the dogs.  ;D ;D ;D

My friend said when her husband retired, she was a little slow to catch on because she just loved having him home. But one day she sat him down and told him that he had retired but she hadn't. She was still doing all of the "unpaid domestic work that she had always done for her board and room." He asked her to list everything she did so they could split the work. When she did, he was totally appalled and took her on a one MONTH cruise!  ;D ;D ;D

When they got home, he got her a housekeeper, so they could both retire! More  ;D ;D ;D
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

jill

From what I understand, you get twice the husband and half the money!!!!!!

LaurieS

Quote from: jill on February 23, 2011, 08:10:33 PM
From what I understand, you get twice the husband and half the money!!!!!!
LOL.. that's a good way to look at it

LaurieS

Luise, I sure hope that works for my girlfriend.. she was really seriously depressed today.

Pooh

My Mom is always calling me asking if we have ANYTHING my Dad could do for us.  Her exact words are usually along the lines of "Please, find him something and get him away from me for a while!"  And she loves him!  Lol. 
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Tara

It was a VERY BIG adjustment when my dh and I retired 5.5 years ago.  He was also in the Air Force Reserves,so was usually
busy one weekend a month.  We have flight benefits with the airlines he worked for and our vision has been to travel in retirement
which we both enjoy, but with much less income, its not as easy to take off for Greece for a month, which I'd love to do with him
as he has never been there.   8)

Luise,  the rv life sounds like it could be quite interesting.  We have a 24 ft travel trailer which we are still getting in the groove of using when the weather is good.

LaurieS

Ok Tara.. now I'm jealous... to retire and  travel, eat great food.. drink wine on the beaches.. yes that would be a nice dream.. but my reality is to have my dh underfoot... I love when he's home (ok, not last weekend) but what I really love is when I can clean something and it stays clean for a few hours, and well that's not happening when he's home.  And what would drive me batty would be the fact that he would get up in the morning and decided what MY day is going to entail. 

My gf said that her husband every morning is making toast then heads to the family room with his toast and a jar of peanut butter and proceeds to eat and leave his peanut butter coated knife on the coffee table.. she swears that the paramedic will not question why the knife in his chest has peanut butter on it.

Pen

When we retire I know I'll need to have some alone time and some getaways without DH as I do now, but I also know he'll want me around 24/7. Perhaps he's hoping (?) we won't be able to afford girls and boys separate vacas in addition to together vacas so I'm going to make sure I stash some funds away  ;) Spa weekend anyone? Surfing lessons in Costa Rica?

The dreaded peanut butter knife - I know it well.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Tara

Laurie,  my dh is neater than me!!!

Pooh,  costa rica?  now we are talking

luise.volta

As you know, I'd been retired for two years when I married Val. He had been retired for 15 years. His idea of "retired" was to raise funds to build a clubhouse and pool where he lived and to take on the clerical end of his SILs catalytic stove business, which he had funded. When we married, I asked him if he wanted me to come on board or did he want to move on. He was dying to get out of the business but had too much invested. Easy! Write it off! :-)0 (Which we did.)

I told him before we married, which I had to do in a hurry because we had five lunches and tied the knot, that I had to have private time and wanted to make it clear that I would be gone for a week at least every month, alone in my motor home. Sometimes with my "sort of" daughter and sometimes not. He agreed. (He would have agreed to anything at that stage.  ;) ) The first time I took off, he was in the pits of despair when I returned saying he felt like a widower again. OK, I got that. We negotiated and I agreed to put my motor home in a local camping club only 20 miles from the house, thus staying in touch and close by. That worked.

I also helped him learn that he was more than half a relationship...i.e: half a person. A novel concept to him after a 59-year symbiotic marriage to his high school sweetheart...but he saw it as healthy and attainable. He's quite a guy.

When we sold his place and got a new RV...I kept the old one and when we weren't on the road, which was just summers, I kept up my retreats. As his needs increased, they became only a weekends until he needed me to be with him 24/7.

When we traveled, we were in a very tiny space for months at a time but it worked just fine because we were focused, no sitting around home looking at each other. When that became our reality, about four years ago, I just sat with him to keep him company when he couldn't read any more or follow TV or conversations. However, my counseling Web-site took me out into the world when he was sleeping and eventually WWU broadened my horizons further.

There can be many stages to retirement. And it takes conscious thought to make sure it is as rewarding as possible all the way along. Now, I live alone in a HUD studio unit and visit Val every day but can't go far or be gone overnight. Lot of invitations but that's no realistic. Others would stand in for me but the "what ifs" keep me close. And you guys make it possible for that to not feel like confinement.

Sending love...

LaurieS

You're right Luise... there are many stages.. and if my gf can live past the first one I'm sure she'll have it made.

Pooh

Costa Rica!  La Cucaracha....La Cucaracha....I always wanted to learn to latin dance!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Tara

Yes,  stages!!!   DH and I are doing pretty good now, but then I traveled for work 2 months out of last year and went to india for 5 weeks  LOL.