March 28, 2024, 10:05:48 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Looks like I may have a SIL... so excited

Started by LaurieS, February 07, 2011, 11:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieS

Thank you Barbie... he made her promise that they could have 24 hours of being engaged before she launched into the wedding planner mode.... it's now 24 hours lol.. I'm sure where ever they are she is talking/planning his ear off :)

The newly engaged couple went scuba diving today to try out some new gear... dd actually took the ring box with her to place the ring in for safe keeping... I have a feeling that this box will be well worn in no time.  They are coming back here for a celebration dinner of thick T-bone steak dinner.. oh I better chill some wine.

I had never heard that Holli... I know that his ring has not been picked out but I think that was one of the metals they were thinking about.. I'll pass along the info about titanium

Pen

Laurie, do enjoy this sweet, crazy time! I'm living vicariously through you since it's doubtful I'll be a MOTB :(  But you never know...if DDD ever did get married she'd plan a crazy wedding for sure  ;D
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

LaurieS

Oh Pen, that just broke my heart .... We are very happy, maybe not as happy as my dd/fsil are but thrilled for them both.  I have found that there is a special someone for everyone out there... I would not write off being the MOTB one day. 

Pen

Laurie, you're so sweet. DD has a couple of slightly higher-functioning peers who've married, so you never know. Right now she's only into phone dating (guys she knows, not strangers) which is just fine with us! She's got a pretty good life w/o many responsibilities, and she knows it. Marriage would mess it all up, LOL. Plus, I think her dad would freak!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

LaurieS

Yes, the freaking dad syndrome seems to run rampant in most girls lives :)

Pooh

I am so happy for her and you both!  Congratulations....and you know I hold a soft spot for them....hee hee....bless her heart...

I wear my wedding set at all times.  I have taken it off when mixing meatloaf or some ooey gooey, like Pen said, but it goes right back on.  I also wear a small ring on my other hand.  When DH and I was dating, it was the first piece of jewelry he bought me when we were on an island.  It is a small blue diamond.  Other than those two, I switch out earrings and necklaces daily.  DH did get a titanium ring, and Laurie....not sure if your DD/FSIL is interested, but it is a special order ring for only a certain occupation.  If you are interested, let me know.  DH loves it!  He can't wear it when he is working either job, because he is in fire and safety on one, so around machinery many times during the day.  Company policy. The Officer job, he doesn't wear it either, for safety reasons.  But he puts it on as soon as he is done.  HB was right about the titanium being hard to cut, but hospitals have the tools to do it now because of it's popularity.  They are even carrying it on the ambulances here.  It is harder to cut, but even gold gives them trouble if it's a finger or hand injury.  Once swelling begins, it's hard to cut any type of ring off (can't get under it).  But DH loves his titanium because he doesn't have to worry about damaging it.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Rose799

Quote from: holliberri on March 27, 2011, 05:30:05 AM

I have since developed a nickel allergy. Unless it is 24 karat yellow gold or platinum, I break out in a rash on my hands.

I do, too, Holli.  I figured that out after a minor medical procedure where staples were used.  Beware of staples; they caused a nasty scar. 

Rose799

Quote from: Laurie on March 27, 2011, 01:25:18 PM
We are very happy, maybe not as happy as my dd/fsil are but thrilled for them both. 

Congratulations Laurie, I wish them a long & happy marriage...

overwhelmed123

Quote from: Laurie on March 27, 2011, 12:47:41 PM

The newly engaged couple went scuba diving today to try out some new gear... dd actually took the ring box with her to place the ring in for safe keeping... I have a feeling that this box will be well worn in no time.  They are coming back here for a celebration dinner of thick T-bone steak dinner.. oh I better chill some wine.

Scuba diving...yeah!  My kind of couple!! And I still put my ring in the ring box every night when I take it off! :)

LaurieS

Oh yeah OW.. these are two active kids... If her bf isn't eating he is moving... Never did I have that kind of energy, it's like they are on a constant red bull high.. this summer they have a wonderful dive trip planned to Cozumel..  I use to dive (back when I could fit into a bathing suit), really loved doing it, but we lived in Florida so it was affordable.. now the gear is outrageously expensive and the trips even more so.. where have you been able to to dive?

overwhelmed123

The only place I've ever been is actually Cozumel, aside from the lake in Terrell that I got certified at.  We just went for my first dive trip (my husband has been lots of times to several different places) to Cozumel in December and I am hooked!  Tell them to be very careful where they eat though.  Stick to their resort's food even if it gets boring.  I ended up in the hospital in Mexico because I got a parasite and literally probably would have died if my DH hadn't taken me to the hospital...so yeah, Mexican hospital..not where you wanna be!  LOL!  And no, I didn't drink the water.  Our last night there, the restaurant at our hotel closed early so we went down the street to get dinner.  The cooks hands must have been contaminated is the only thing I can figure.

BUT, the diving was awesome.  I am so excited for them!  Our group saw 4 black tip reef sharks...luckily everyone else saw them but me because I'm not sure I would have been down for that. 

H has been to a bunch of places...Grand Cayman, Hawaii, etc.  I think he said Cayman and Cozumel have been the best.

LaurieS

I think you are suppose to take a shot of Tequila after every bite to wash away the germs.. at least that is how my dd is planning on doing it.

With the crime, food, germs etc I don't think these two will be leaving the place they are staying.. they have 5 days with 15 dives, if they get all of those in, they won't have the energy to even think about wandering the streets

overwhelmed123

LOL, your daughter has the right idea with the tequila.  ;)

15 dives...holy cow.  They will be diving and sleeping, rinse and repeat.

LaurieS

Hey OW... are those Dallas area mountains in your picture? :)