March 28, 2024, 02:42:16 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Being a landlord to my son and his fiance

Started by MotherOf3, February 22, 2011, 09:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotherOf3

Well, I found out via Facebook that my son's father (my XH) took the dog.  I am not publicly making any comment about it, just that one text to my son was all I said.

I have a bit of an automatic desire to not have his father at "MY" house but, I know that I cannot do anything about that so I'm keeping my mouth shut on anything I might want to say about it.  His father is also a carpenter and I just know that HE wouldn't be able to resist either suggesting things to do at the house and/or offering to help do them and/or making derogaroty comments about it.  That's just how he is.  I'll deal with that if/when it comes up.

My son is 25 and his fiance is 23 (I believe) so yes, they are young and wouldn't be able to buy a house on their own.  I don't have a lot of interaction with her, just casually, and never had a problem with her.  My two daughters don't like her but I've told them that they don't have to like her.  If their brother loves her then they need to accept her and be polite.

The house is just darling!  It looks like a little fairytale cottage on a quiet street lined with huge trees.  It's a desirable area near a college and a beautiful park a couple of blocks away.

AnonymousDIL

I am in LOVE with those floors!!! And that Kitchen Counter!!! I think I'm about to hyperventilate! lol If he does anything to those beautiful floors, let me know, I'll put him in the boxing ring! LOL

Isn't it "annoying" when people we love are buddy-buddy with people we dont? My BFF is facebook friends with my SIL (who won't add me btw), and it annoys the crap outta me when SIL comments on bestie's posts. They don't even know each other. She added all my bridesmaids and doesn't know any of them. Ugh! lol But I digress....

It is sad that they can't buy on their own right now since the housing prices are so low. DH and I were lucky to be able to buy a house last year just before the wedding. It was also just in time for that 1st time homebuyer credit of Obama's. Thank You, Mr. President. I Will take $8,000 from you lol

Yay for the dog being gone from the house without any issues! Hope you relationship with your FDIL stays "good."  :D

LaurieS

What a beautiful home your son will get to reside in... I hope that he does keep it this nice... they are  a lucky  couple.. I'd hate to even have a picture to remind me of what our first place looked like :)
I like the archways.. very cool

luise.volta

We had a little phone nook in the hall wall wth a little seat attached to it when I was 13. It was the very latest thing!  8)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

I love that!  I love bungalow looking houses.  That is what I want next!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

MotherOf3

I looked at dozens of older homes and I just love all the details. The telephone is in the hallway and there is a little opening in the wall between the dining room and the hallway with a ledge.  I assume that's so you can answer the phone from the dining room.  :)  I saw some that had the pull-down seat and ones with a little pull-out writing surface.  I was charmed by the tiny window in the upstairs half-bath too.  Never seen an opening window that small!  It's for ventilation.  I saw houses that had tiny windows in the closets for ventilation too.  I guess that was back when clothes were aired out and not washed as much.

I do hope they appreciate what a deal they are getting.  I have looked at apartment listings and even for $700 per month that would only get a one bedroom.  My agent told me that she has a client that bought three houses in the area and he has no problem renting them out because of the university nearby.  I would be worried about students not caring for the house though.

My son found a fridge and he can get it tomorrow so I transfered the money to his bank account.  No, I'm not a hovering mother with access to his accounts.  :P  I can transfer to another Wells Fargo customer and I have when he has done work for me or needed a little help.

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: MotherOf3 on February 24, 2011, 12:48:28 PM
I can transfer to another Wells Fargo customer and I have when he has done work for me or needed a little help.

That is such an awesome feature. PNC is the same way, although I haven't been able to use it because no one I ever need to give money to has PNC. :-( Oh well, that's what checks are for right?

MotherOf3

It is a nice feature but my son is the only one of the three kids who banks at WF.  Actually, his fiance works at WF too.

I wish my daughters did but, maybe that's not a bad thing that they don't.  ;)  They occasionally ask for a little help and I'm happy to if it isn't excessive... a couple hundred here and there.  My oldest daughter rarely asks for anything but she has worked for a major car manufacturer for years and she is doing well.  She recently left her fiance and I gave her $2k to move into an apartment and she tells me she is saving to buy a house.  My middle daughter asks more but, she's just finishing nursing school with 3 children and they bought a house a year ago (with the $8k incentive) and things are tight until she gets a job.

I really don't mind helping out.  I went to my parents when I was young and married with 3 children so I know how it is.  One thing that burns me is that their father, who I was married to for 20 years, is such a jerk.  If they ask him for anything he says he can't.  My middle daughter asked him to put up a gate to keep her dogs in one area of the yard and he charged her $100 for it.  Come on... it's not that much and they're struggling!  He's just too much of a jerk to do anything decent even for his own children.  It really POd my daughter that right after this he went on a two week vacation to Australia with a woman he's been dating for 3 months.  That he went isn't a problem... it's that he treats them like that when there's really no excuse for it.

pam1

Beautiful house!

The only thing I would caution is not to let this come in between you guys, no matter what happens.  It's a beautiful and a good price but relationships are always more important, IMHO.  You're a nice momma
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

JaneF

Wow, what a darling little house! I wouldn't want it changed either...love the floors and counters! I am not a happy landlady today. We furnish water and sewer service for all renters, and one let us know yesterday she had been letting water run to keep pipes from freezing!!!!! We have had no issues with that, but now we have a $500 water bill thanks to this renter. I am REALLY about ready to scream (I honestly would like to go to her and ask if she has any sense, but I know that I can't do that of course). My husband did tell her not to do that anymore though. Sometimes having rentals is difficult...sometimes renters have terrible landlords, sounds like us here doesn't it? Some good DILs and some bad, some good MIL some bad! lol  And life goes on. Made myself feel better, took grandchild to shop and let her pick a darling spring outfit and shoes. She has good taste! She is a happy gal in all her purple glory!

MotherOf3

I would be steaming if someone did that!  I'm not paying for any of the utilities though they are in my name right now.  I had a talk with my son about what the other costs are, he/they really have no idea.  My son has always rented rooms in another house, not even his own apartment, and the same goes for his fiance. 

I listed cable, water & sewer, gas & electric, etc.  He asked how much electric would be.  I almost had to laugh when I said that it depends on what you use and told him that mine ranges from $50 to $150, depending on the weather.

He sent me a picture of the new fridge in the house.  Nice, side-by-side with water/ice in the door.

Pen

Lovely house, Mo3. Your DS & your FDIL are very lucky to have your help. I hope they appreciate it and take good care of everything.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: MotherOf3 on February 27, 2011, 10:20:21 AM
I would be steaming if someone did that!  I'm not paying for any of the utilities though they are in my name right now.  I had a talk with my son about what the other costs are, he/they really have no idea.  My son has always rented rooms in another house, not even his own apartment, and the same goes for his fiance. 

Well, they are gonna have to learn real quick then aren't they  ;) Hope everything unfolds well in this!

Faithlooksup

Hi!!  Love your Home---and I Love the fact about the garage has barn doors vs. regular doors...

In all do respect, I would take the utilities out of my name~~just in case...as well as to settle with all the do's and don't's as soon as possible.....this way they will know and no hard feelings will occur down the road...

Best of Luck...

MotherOf3

I like the garage doors too though my son has said twice now that he could replace them.  I've said "no".  It goes with the house and I think it looks fine.

They haven't totally moved in yet, he got their stuff out of storage so he didn't have to pay another month there.  Replacing the electrical panel is delayed because it has to be scheduled with the power company to turn off the power for one day and they're backlogged.  The contractor will be doing some wiring clean-up, installing the sub-panel, replacing a plug and installing a light switch this weekend.  All they can do in the meantime.