April 24, 2024, 05:38:20 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Looking into my monitor.. Luise are you there?

Started by LaurieS, February 12, 2011, 03:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

There are lots of old-wife's tales about shingles. One is that if you get shingles, you are immune thereafter. Not true. One is that you only get them one one side of your body. Not true. Sometimes they are bi-lateral. One is that if you have had shingles, you don't need the vaccine. Not true. You do and I have since gotten it. They are a virus...Herpes Zoster, to be exact, and are related to genital herpes, cold sores and the rest of the herpes family. 
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Hope

Luise,
How is your eye today?  I was surprised to read that both you and Val had cornea transplants.  I think of them as a huge deal.  You are very brave and calm.  I like how you keep your head.
Enjoy your Sunday.
Hugs coming your way....Hope

holliberri

Just a question...I couldn't take anything except for Aquaphor when I had them b/c I was pregnant. Do you have some good tips about the management of them? I was in a lot of pain, and I don't think Valtrex helps with that at all.

Rose799

Quote from: luise.volta on February 13, 2011, 09:53:10 AM
There are lots of old-wife's tales about shingles. One is that if you get shingles, you are immune thereafter. Not true. One is that you only get them one one side of your body. Not true. Sometimes they are bi-lateral. One is that if you have had shingles, you don't need the vaccine. Not true. You do and I have since gotten it. They are a virus...Herpes Zoster, to be exact, and are related to genital herpes, cold sores and the rest of the herpes family.

...and they hurt like the dickens!  Holli, you had them?  I did at age 30.  I was told by a nurse (is it true, Luise?) that they occur in people with a lowered immune system.  I got a double whammy, shingles & Epstein Barr together.  I haven't been the same since  (both are herpes – Epstein Barr is similar to mono). 

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Luise...

luise.volta

When the eruption was at its worse and the line between my eye and my nose was an oozing mess I tried everything with no relief. I described it to my family as feeling like raccoon had dug its claw into my face and was hanging there. Kirk's ex-wife. Sonja, and my "forever-daughter," called her Naturopath and drove up with a lotion called Larrea RX Virox and said if it didn't work, her MD was standing by and she was taking me to Seattle. I put it on my face (not in my eye, of course...but that's not where the pain was) and it was over! Instantly! Forever! It never failed.

luise.volta

And yes, when your immune system is not what it should be, that's the invitation shingles are waiting for. I was on my way down from care giving at that time. I was about 7 years into my 11 year stint.

holliberri

I had them last year, at 26. I was 23 weeks pregnant. I got lucky, I guess it causes problems for the baby if you get them and you're less than 20 weeks. Phew!

Aside from that...it was the easiest pregnancy in the world! I think the prenatals helped my recovery, even if they didn't minimize the pain. It only lasted three weeks, the docs told me with no medication, it would probably be 8 weeks.

Hope

holliberri,
You were very young to get shingles from what I know.  I bet three weeks seemed like eternity under the circumstance.  I have heard of people having them for ten years.  I hope I don't have to find out first hand.
Hugs, Hope

seasage

Quote from: holliberri on February 13, 2011, 10:42:09 AM
.... I think the prenatals helped my recovery, even if they didn't minimize the pain. It only lasted three weeks, the docs told me with no medication, it would probably be 8 weeks.

What is a prenatal?

Hope

Seasage,
I took it to mean her prenatal vitamins.  Was I right, holliberri?
Hugs, Hope

Rose799

Quote from: luise.volta on February 13, 2011, 10:30:32 AM
And yes, when your immune system is not what it should be, that's the invitation shingles are waiting for. I was on my way down from care giving at that time. I was about 7 years into my 11 year stint.

When my nurse friend asked if I'd been under a lot of stress, I answered, "No."  I assumed it the norm to be all things to all people & do it on very little sleep.  Everybody needs backup from time to time...  I went from Epstein Barr / Shingles / chronic debilitating fatigue / fibromyalgia

Glad to hear you didn't have lasting repercussions, Holliberri~  The shingles were a warning -- keep your immune system strong. 

LaurieS

Holli.. I do developed shingles with two of my pregnancies.. the doctor thought it was due to a combination of mental stress, and physical stress... needless to say it was not fun.  My son also developed shingles while in flight training, once again he was told that it's not uncommon in a field of high stress situations for months on end.

I had another go round about a year ago.. after doing a whole lot of searching on the net (so you know it's true) I found that it's believed that a system lacking in vitamin C and L-lysine is more vulnerable to an outbreak... once the outbreak occurs I was taking a lot more L-lysine and massive dosages of Vit C.. and while there are many lotions out that that will help, would you believe that vinegar is also recommended.

Here's to all of us never having to deal with this virus again.

luise.volta

holliberri

Yep, prenatal vitamins. What do you know: Vitamin C in there and a little L-lysine as well. Just checked the old bottle!

LaurieS

Quote from: holliberri on February 13, 2011, 11:04:12 AM
Yep, prenatal vitamins. What do you know: Vitamin C in there and a little L-lysine as well. Just checked the old bottle!
I now include additional vitamind C and L-lysine to my daily regiment