March 18, 2024, 08:16:37 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Grandparent's Name

Started by holliberri, February 10, 2011, 07:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieS

Wasn't that the alien that popped out of Sigourney Weavers stomach?

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

MotherOf3

I always called them all Grandpa and Grandma when talking TO them.  If talking about them, we would all say, "grandpa Jones" or "grandma Smith".

My eldest granddaughter started calling me Mamaw a few years ago so naturally her two younger brothers often call me that but they also say grandma because that is what my daughter refers to me as.  I don't care either way.  :D

holliberri

LOL...I promise I'm not related to my DH in anyway, but my mom and MIL have the same last name...so if we go with the same names we'll need some discriminators!

My cousins called their g-parents burnt-pancake-Mommom and piano-player-Mommom.

They came up with them...I guess one Mommom burnt the pancakes once.

myree

i wasnt ready to be called granma at 40 my gd is almost she has started calling me mimi i think its beacuse she hears my name myree and i love it or im nanna  mimi

Tara

One of my gd's calls me Uma Tara and another calls me Grandma Tara.

The others are grown up and call me Tara.

FAFE

Hope this is not offensive, but one of my friends called her gm Black Mammy.  Her gf showed her a picture of her gm back in the day when the pictures did not come out really light.  She stated that that was not her gm but a black mammy.  Even now when the family talks about her that is her name. 

AnonymousDIL

We (Brother and I) called our great-grandmother and grandfather the "White haired Grandma/Grandpa" because they both had beautiful snow white hair. I hope my hair turns white instead of going gray. :-)

I miss her, she was the greatest cook ever!

Rose799

Quote from: AnonymousDIL on March 11, 2011, 12:23:38 PM
We (Brother and I) called our great-grandmother and grandfather the "White haired Grandma/Grandpa" because they both had beautiful snow white hair. I hope my hair turns white instead of going gray. :-)

I miss her, she was the greatest cook ever!

What were your favorite dishes, Adil?  I wish mine was anything but gray...

AnonymousDIL

She made sooo many wonderful things, but the ones I remember (and crave) the most are her homemade chicken pot pie and popcorn balls. They were the best. The popcorn balls you buy at the store just don't do it for me. lol

Rose799

Quote from: AnonymousDIL on March 11, 2011, 01:10:33 PM
She made sooo many wonderful things, but the ones I remember (and crave) the most are her homemade chicken pot pie and popcorn balls. They were the best. The popcorn balls you buy at the store just don't do it for me. lol

Sounds yummy!  I've been taping Cook's Country from America's Test Kitchen.  Boy do their recipes look good!

Rejected

I've wondered about this topic too. My Mom is Australian so naturally we called her parent's Nanna & Poppa and now that my mom has grand kids they call her Nanna & my dad Poppa. But my MIL also is Nana with her grand kids. DH and I don't have kids & haven't really planned to in the near future but I find myself wondering about this often. Is it wrong/rude to change MIL's name for my kids to call her Nana xxxx (her name) without her permission because I could see my MIL getting upset at us whether we asked or not.

Also, I have no clue how this works but I have wondered, does it make a difference who was a grandparent first? haha I really don't know.

Then I've also thought since the spelling is different, then my kids will call my mom Nanna- pronounced Nan-nuh(which is how everyone in my family pronounces it) and my MIL Nana- pronounced Na-Na (with a sharp A sound like "bat" with each A) Do you think kids would get that & see the difference between the two? One of MIL's other DS calls her Na-Na but everyone else says it like Nan-nuh and no seems to notice the difference. But my MIL pronounces herself as Nan-nuh.

I would just like a difference between the two so when my kids say Nanna/Nana I know which one they want or talking about.
"Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings... we simply continue to fly --- on a broomstick... we are flexible."  ~Anonymous