March 19, 2024, 01:34:54 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Just spent the morning with my granddaughter

Started by FAFE, March 02, 2011, 10:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieS

Quote from: Pooh on March 07, 2011, 05:45:18 AM
Laurie, did your kids ever have colic?  You know...the fancy name for gas?  They now make pediatric drops for it...where were those years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!
No my kids never really suffered from colic... now I think I did after some of my surgeries.. could have used some meds for myself.  Guess beano isn't the same huh?

holliberri

I tried gas drops for DD. She was diagonosed colicky early on and they never worked. She cried every night from 7 to 10. I switched her formula, the kind of bottle, elevated her, exercised her legs...nothing worked.  They ordered a barium swallow and an ultrasound. Nothing came up weird. The doctor told me if we ruled out everything, she was just overstimulated. I started quiet time at 5 instead of 6 and lessened everything I was exposing her too...it thankfully worked. She still gets like that on trips and around large groups of people.

One good thing: I saved a ton of money on all that stuff they push you to buy when you're a new mom like videos and audiobooks. I did her more harm than good when I put a huge colored mobile overtop her crib for the first time. I thought our nighttime routine would be lullaby and a book...but the book became the pre-dinner activity and singing works in the morning when she's excited and raring to go.

Next time (if I'm so lucky), I'll try rearranging a schedule before I take the baby in to the doctor. Barium swallow on a 7 week old. Ugh. My worries got the best of me.

Pen

I guess being on a strict budget when the first one is born can be a blessing in disguise! We did the birthing training and read a few borrowed books but didn't have the resources to go overboard. Back in those days the intense, over-the-top parents were called "yuppies." I thought some of that intensity was a little silly but worried that my baby might miss out since DH & I were struggling students rather than up-and-coming corporate types who could afford all the latest and greatest in equipment and information.

Guess what? DS is doing really well and his peers who got the yuppie treatment seem to be floundering, sadly.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

FAFE

Paragoric (sp) was wonderful with my kids when they were little.  i'm just saying. 

luise.volta

Paregoric (Brand name: Camphorated Tincture of Opium)

Paregoric is used to relieve diarrhea. It decreases stomach and intestinal movement in the digestive system. This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information. Paregoric comes as a liquid to take by mouth. It usually is taken one to four times a day.

(Just the nurse in me surfacing...  ;D )
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

FAFE

That is what my doctor prescribed back in the days.  I know I used to have a pharmacist mix it up with something else for menstrual cramps when I was very young.  Haven't even seen it since about 1973 or 74.

LaurieS

Quote from: FAFE on March 07, 2011, 12:24:14 PM
That is what my doctor prescribed back in the days.  I know I used to have a pharmacist mix it up with something else for menstrual cramps when I was very young.  Haven't even seen it since about 1973 or 74.

My mom use to give us a half of a shot of whiskey... lol.. you'd be arrested today