April 19, 2024, 05:10:55 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Looks like I may have a SIL... so excited

Started by LaurieS, February 07, 2011, 11:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faithlooksup

Quote from: luise.volta on February 08, 2011, 08:09:21 AM
Married on a playground! I LOVE it! Sounds solemn when it should have been, (honor guard,) exuberant when appropriate, (welcome shouts) and silly just for fun (baron swat.) I may need to get married for the sixth time after Val passes just to be more creative. I'm trying to picture how a bunch of Octogenarians could pull it off.  ;D ;D ;D
Luise you are a Hoot and so Loved...Ah, I do hope you are planning to invite all of us here on WWU for this upcoming shin-dig...

Faithlooksup

PLUS, Laurie, he is not going to be like your DIL so you are Blessed........

Tara

Hey congratulations Laurie,

Its wonderful to hear about your dd's engagement. 
very sweet and joyful.

Pooh

Quote from: luise.volta on February 08, 2011, 08:09:21 AM
Married on a playground! I LOVE it! Sounds solemn when it should have been, (honor guard,) exuberant when appropriate, (welcome shouts) and silly just for fun (baron swat.) I may need to get married for the sixth time after Val passes just to be more creative. I'm trying to picture how a bunch of Octogenarians could pull it off.  ;D ;D ;D
It was all of the above, and that's what we both wanted.  We wanted a fun wedding that everyone would enjoy.  My cake was lopsided (on purpose) with the bride and groom figures, except the bride was wearing the pants and he is was in boxers!  And I had balloon centerpieces and a candy buffet.  We both had the traditional church weddings the first time, and we wanted this one to relect our personalities.  It was tons of fun.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

That is so awesome! And inspired! How reverently irreverent!!  ;D ;D ;D

I think when I hear of the totally ridiculous sums being spent on weddings...and about what the divorce rate is, (which I have contributed to so enthusiastically,) that young couples would do well to not make such a spectacle of it. Cynical? Probably...but/and what if that money had been invested? How about this: "Got elope! We have put $50,000. in an account for you and on your 25th anniversary, it will be yours with compounded interest. And if you don't make it? Oh, well..."

We attended a family wedding in Vermont. Several exorbitantly expensive Bed and Breakfasts in the mountains were taken over for the event, (paid for in full by the bride's family.) It started on Thursday with a Welcome Everyone Dinner...then a Friday Rehearsal Dinner, a Saturday Wedding with a sit down Steak Dinner reception following and a Sunday "Send Off" Breakfast. The Bride was J. P. Morgan's great, great granddaughter (and Val's great niece) and the groom was the nephew of a famous movie star. The marriage lasted 10 months. Anyone want to guess the cost of that event?
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

I would hate to even venture to guess.....
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pen

So that's what they're doing with my bank card interest payments...
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

LaurieS

Thank you Tara.. but all he's done so far is to buy the ring.. that was a huge step for him :)  But he's called me about 5 times now to talk about it...

I love the candy buffet idea.. I'm going to pass that on to my daughter.. my sister had a ice cream buffet but that can be a touchy gooey mess if not done right.

My dd told me that if he ever does propose that she has worked up 4 different options with budgets and we will sit and discuss this.. I don't know if this guy really knows what he's getting himself into.. she is very  business minded.

Pooh

Laurie, the candy buffet was a big hit and we actually had fun doing it.  I was on a low budget, but still wanted to give some kind of favor, but they were so expensive.  So I saw this on a larger scale on the internet, and decided I could do it on a smaller scale.  I used glassware I already had, and purchased some at the dollar store.  Bought big bags of candy and small little celephane bags with ties, and candy scoops.  Everyone went around and filled up their own bag to take home.  And decorated it in black and blue for the Officer's thin blue line.  I bought a bag of plastic policemen (like army men) at the dollar store and set them around it....Lol.  You can get as creative as you want.  I saw on the internet where they had purchased candy, all in their colors. 

I will see if I can find a picture of it for you to give you the idea of what I did.
Joseph Campbell

jill

Hi Laurie,
Congratulations to the mother of the bride.  A daughter's wedding is really something to look forward to.  And sons-in-law are easy to get along with, a lot easier than daughters!!!

:) :) :)

Pooh

Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

I love it.. how original and fun.. thanks for sharing the photos

DD told me today that she'd love a nacho cheese fountain.. I don't know about that.. I'm thinking white dress and nacho cheese?

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

LaurieS

What are the blue and yellow balls circling the cake made from?

Nana

Laurie

Congratulations.  How nice of him to call you and make you so happy.  This are the moments that make our lives worthwhile.
Keep us posted.

Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare