March 28, 2024, 05:06:00 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Looking for some good thoughts from my WWU Warriors

Started by Pooh, February 06, 2011, 01:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

We are walking the walk with you, Pooh. I agree that they are ruling out some things that you would rather have it be. Keep us posted. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

myree

women are warriors ...you have climbed every mountain set in front of you so far! you will beat it or control it so your in charge . strength is something you have. failure is not in falling down its in not getting back up :P

JaneF

I am so sorry for this issue you are facing, how scary it must be for you. I also have a friend with Lupus and she is a nurse. The other posters mentioned massage and chiropractic care, I was told it was helpful too. It sounds like your husband is a sweet and caring man, how great you have him to support you right now. Blessings to you. Take care.

luise.volta

I honestly don't know much about Lupus and the differing types. I'm a nurse but I went through training in the 1940s. Do they have any explicit data yet on what you may be facing? In the meantime I am sending generic juju...with love.

Tara

Pooh,

Hope you can take a day at a time. 

If you do have lupus, early intervention is good and there are more ways to manage it than in the past, so that is
hopeful.

Hope

Pooh,
Sorry for the late post - I just saw this thread.  I am praying for you and hoping for the best.  I can imagine how scary it must be, but it's comforting to know that new treatments are being discovered all the time.  You are a sweetie and I don't want to see you suffer.  There is power in love.  Do you feel it from all of us?
Hugs, Hope

Pooh

Quote from: luise.volta on March 05, 2011, 10:46:35 AM
I honestly don't know much about Lupus and the differing types. I'm a nurse but I went through training in the 1940s. Do they have any explicit data yet on what you may be facing? In the meantime I am sending generic juju...with love.

Thank you everyone for your support. It means so much to have you all in my corner.

Luise, my MD has been very helpful in explaining things to me.  If the Rheumo decides it's Lupus, there are several different treatment options depending on the "aggressiveness" of the Lupus.  The disease goes from mild forms to severe forms.  The mild forms are usually just treated with anti-inflammatories and things to concentrate on the pain and immune system.  More severe forms they treat with medicines to quickly suppress your immune system like anti-malaria drugs. 

Lupus makes your body over produce antibodies.  My MD got me tickled with his analogy.  He said the your antibodies are your army men.  So when something attacks your body (like a virus or infection) they spring to action and go into war.  When the war is over, they retreat back into their barracks.  He said in Lupus, your Army is huge and they want to fight all the time.  So when you don't give them an enemy, they get bored and decide to attack your healthy tissue.  If you don't give them something to fight, they create their own battles....Lol...isn't that a cute way to describe it.  My stupid Army men refuse to go back to their barracks.

If you have a mild form, they will attack muscle and tissue, causing pain and inflammation.  If you have a severe form, it attacks your organs, which is when it's bad.  But in every case, they have medication to deal with it.  The are other things it causes like a face rash, mouth sores, extreme fatigue (stupid Army), headaches, anemia, swelling, heart inflammation, etc.  But all of them except the rash are related to the overproduction of antibodies.  Get a handle on that, most of the symptoms are controllable and it more resembles RA.

If I have it, we want it to be mild to semi-aggressive.  The aggressive kind they have to use chemo drugs on you to suppress your immune system and the MD says they are no fun.  But the good news is years ago, it was fatal because they didn't know how to stop it from attacking your organs eventually, now they do and it is no longer considered fatal as long as you treat it.  The only cases of fatality now are those that do not get it diagnosed or do anything about it because they normally end up with heart or kidney failure.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Crossing my fingers, eyes and ankles!  :o  Sending love...

Tara

Yes, fingers crossed and best of wishes for your good health Pooh